IGNORED

6 Ways Religion Does More Bad Than Good

doggie

Snipped the main quote because it's just too huge. But the point was that some people share their belief in Christianity because they feel it has made their lives better.

I really don't understand why that would be offensive. Let alone really, really offensive. There a metric ton of things that make some people happy that wouldn't make me, personally, happy. Should I tell them to Shut up if they talk about them? People talk about all sorts of things that not everyone they talk to will agree with - what's wrong with that? Someone might mention to 20 people that cutting out gluten improved their health. Only one of the 20 might say, " hey, maybe I'll give that no gluten thing a try" , that doesn't mean the other 19 will be offended.

Religion, philosophy, politics, nutrition, lifestyle, exercise.....there's just an endless array of personal beliefs-- sharing that practicing x, y and z has made ME happy, doesn't need to mean that I think you won't be perfectly happy practicing a, b and c.

Thanks, Mama Mia. You said what I was trying to say much more succinctly and successfully. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are also religious-based organizations that engage in social action not because they want to preach, but because they have a genuine religious belief that they are required to make the world a better place.

There are also religious-based organizations that engage in social action not because they want to preach, but because they have a genuine religious belief that they are required to make the world a better place.

One of the most interesting courses I took in college ( regular community college - not a religious college), was on the history of religion and social justice movements . It was a million years ago, but I wish I could recall the text. Very powerful.

anymore there is a huge flood of missionaries that really don't accomplish anything. all the money spent sending them there would serve the communities far more then have so many people come and just suck up resources and hand out bibles.

If they just send the money, what do they get out of it? Nothing. What do they get out of going? A trip! Brag rights! Who cares that they're not helping anyone!

FYI, Charity Navigator is a good tool for researching the finances of various charities. While they don't analyze the quality of the programs, they do focus on how much of your donation will actually go to programming and highlight any potential problems with financial management and transparency.

The article would have been better if it pointed out how to tell good from bad charities, instead of just suggesting that religious fundraising is bad.

I dislike any argument that takes a few bad examples and extrapolates to apply it in a really broad way.

There are examples of religious organizations exploiting tragedies for their own institutional purposes.

There are ALSO examples of specific religious charities which have an established track record of real expertise in responding to disasters. They may have existing contacts with an affected area, they may be able to mobilize supporters quickly, and some of the people who do good, tireless work are influenced to do it for religious reasons.

It's far more useful to identify which organizations are known for doing genuinely good work, and which fall into the "exploiting disaster" category.

In terms of the "learned helplessness" argument - this varies hugely between different religions and denominations.

I would agree that a fatalistic viewpoint is harmful to society. I'd also argue that the attitude of some atheists that nature is not equal and that they have no responsibility to help those weaker than themselves is also harmful.

Again, SOME religious groups are also strongly oriented toward social action. Google "tikkun olam". Look up Mennonite Central Committee. Look up Baha'i policies on social action. Look up any faith that's oriented toward social action.

I've seen up close the good work that Samaritan's Purse did when my area was devastated by floods last summer. They cleaned out homes that were dangerously filthy from mold, raw sewage, and I don't know what all. They brought in a team of their own volunteers and, with the help of a local Baptist church, recruited, trained, and coordinated teams of local people who wanted to help. I know that they did offer to pray with and for the flood victims, but there was no religious litmus test. A lot of people around here are extremely thankful for this organization. They came when we needed them.

Snipped the main quote because it's just too huge. But the point was that some people share their belief in Christianity because they feel it has made their lives better.

I really don't understand why that would be offensive. Let alone really, really offensive. There a metric ton of things that make some people happy that wouldn't make me, personally, happy. Should I tell them to Shut up if they talk about them? People talk about all sorts of things that not everyone they talk to will agree with - what's wrong with that? Someone might mention to 20 people that cutting out gluten improved their health. Only one of the 20 might say, " hey, maybe I'll give that no gluten thing a try" , that doesn't mean the other 19 will be offended.

Religion, philosophy, politics, nutrition, lifestyle, exercise.....there's just an endless array of personal beliefs-- sharing that practicing x, y and z has made ME happy, doesn't need to mean that I think you won't be perfectly happy practicing a, b and c.

The thing is, these missions aren't just TALKING about their religion: they want converts. If they wanted to give people in developing countries a full selection of religious possibilities to "make them happy," they would go out of their way to provide education in all the world religions. Which they don't do.

I've seen up close the good work that Samaritan's Purse did when my area was devastated by floods last summer. They cleaned out homes that were dangerously filthy from mold, raw sewage, and I don't know what all. They brought in a team of their own volunteers and, with the help of a local Baptist church, recruited, trained, and coordinated teams of local people who wanted to help. I know that they did offer to pray with and for the flood victims, but there was no religious litmus test. A lot of people around here are extremely thankful for this organization. They came when we needed them.

I really, really hate Samaritan's purse. No matter how much "good" they do, it still doesn't excuse the massive amounts of hate they spew.

They help people that need it instead of a paid vacation paid by donations

Exactly! Why people insist on going across the country or the world to do work that the people there could, and would, be willing to do, will always be a mystery to me.

I'm not an expert on Christian missions and charities, but other religions exist and run social action programs.

For example, I know of both Jewish and Baha'i organizations that engage in and support grassroots social development because of religious beliefs that they are required to help others and make the world a better place. It's not intended to provide a platform for preaching or gaining converts.

I'm not an expert on Christian missions and charities, but other religions exist and run social action programs.

For example, I know of both Jewish and Baha'i organizations that engage in and support grassroots social development because of religious beliefs that they are required to help others and make the world a better place. It's not intended to provide a platform for preaching or gaining converts.

Organizations that just so happen to be run by a religious group are one thing. But many large Christian organizations want to gain converts, and that's what's not cool.

Organizations that just so happen to be run by a religious group are one thing. But many large Christian organizations want to gain converts, and that's what's not cool.

Christianity can be like a plague that is spread all over the world. wiping out cutlers and people alike sometimes. I think ISIS got their idea from old time Christians.

Exactly! Why people insist on going across the country or the world to do work that the people there could, and would, be willing to do, will always be a mystery to me.

I have a huge problem with (most) short-term mission work. There are 2.5 situations in which I think it is useful.

1) A person with a skill that can't be found overseas goes to provide services (doctors for the Ebola epidemic, dentists, etc.)

2) Someone is going overseas for an extended short-term trip (3-6 months) because they are considering going into humanitarian work full time. It's not an easy life, so I actually thing "trying it out" is wise if the option is available.

3) This one I'm unsure of. But if a person has worked for a good while at the headquarters for an organization with programs overseas, I think it could be beneficial for that person to go volunteer for one of their organization's overseas locations, even if what they are doing is something that could be done by anyone. I think it could help them do their job better to understand the way things actually work overseas.

Christianity Communism Islam Capitalism The Roman Empire The Han Dynasty The British Empire Any political, religious, social, or philosophical movement can be like a plague that is spread all over the world. wiping out cutlers and people alike sometimes. I think ISIS got their idea from old time Christians Egyptians Romans Brits oppressive assholes.

FTFY.

FTFY.

Thank you, Firiel. I was sitting here trying with great difficulty not to be offended, as a Christian, by such a sweeping and uncalled-for generalization of one religion.

Thank you, Firiel. I was sitting here trying with great difficulty not to be offended, as a Christian, by such a sweeping and uncalled-for generalization of one religion.

What "sweeping, uncalled for" generalizations? Christianity can certainly be used as a plague, and early Christians were certainly oppressive. Nowhere did he say that all Christians were bad, or Christianity was purely evil. Seeing as the conversation was about Christianity in particular, what's wrong with bringing these up?

What "sweeping, uncalled for" generalizations? Christianity can certainly be used as a plague, and early Christians were certainly oppressive. Nowhere did he say that all Christians were bad, or Christianity was purely evil. Seeing as the conversation was about Christianity in particular, what's wrong with bringing these up?

Of course it can, but I don't think it ever has, not to the extent I believe was meant by Doggie. Certainly not any more than any other group or movement has done through the centuries, as Firiel pointed out. And bringing ISIS into the discussion? That's quite a stretch, imo.

My point throughout this thread has been that it's not religion that's the problem (and actually-- the conversation wasn't about Christianity in particular... the article in question is about RELIGION but it's been made about Christianity because that's the religion people on this board tend to be most uncomfortable with). Oppressive religion, just like oppressive political ideology and oppressive science and oppressive philosophy, is an extension of people who are looking for power and who realize that the most effective way to gain power in a certain situation is to exploit others.

no one has done it on the scale of Christianity. name a country where Christianity has not touched.

Because we live in the age of globalization, pretty much every current major religion/philosophy/political ideology has touched pretty much every culture. So yes, Christianity has touched every culture. So has capitalism. And communism. And isolationism. And feminism. And Islam.

The Crusades were fucking terrible. But so was Alexander the Great. And British colonization.

Because we live in the age of globalization, pretty much every current major religion/philosophy/political ideology has touched pretty much every culture. So yes, Christianity has touched every culture. So has capitalism. And communism. And isolationism. And feminism. And Islam.

The Crusades were fucking terrible. But so was Alexander the Great. And British colonization.

Don't forget Coca-Cola! For real: http://www.businessinsider.com/facts-ab ... 011-6?op=1

Archived