IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

I should do a list of kosher "caker" recipes, taken from synagogue cookbooks.

1. Apricot chicken - this recipe is in EVERY collection, and nobody really knows where it started. Do non-Jews eat this as well?

We had it pretty often when I was a kid.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man - speaking of SDA, I moved in with a lady to take care of her kids, it's what let me leave my parents etc., and she was SDA. And we ate nothing but either tuna casserole or that god-awful canned "meat"! :lol: I actually almost developed a taste for it. :lol: Then later I became a vegan and couldn't figure out why the SDAs ever ate that crap, there's so much good food out there with no critters attached!

SDA big franks are my favorite faux meat product. The rest of the canned products I can easily live without. Big franks are vegan and make the best corn dogs ever. As far as special K loaf goes, it's edible but not my favorite.

• 10 months later...

That's right. I ate a genuine tater tot casserole served by fundies. I was at my parents' this weekend and got taken to a church supper on the fundie-farm. The reformed crowd is usually not as heavily into junk food or heavy casseroles, but you can usually find a few.

And sure enough, mixed in with the organic salads and items I've seen on Trim Healthy Mama Pinterest boards, I found a mound of tater totty goodness. I've eaten all kinds of things in my life and I even like tater tots on their own. However, I can honestly say that I have never ingested so much grease all at once as I did in that casserole.

Here's what I could tell was in it - feel your arteries harden as you read:

- ground beef

- sausage

- some kind of cream soup

- something green (french cut beans??)

- enough garlic to take out Transylvania

- Tater Tots

And as if that wasn't enough....they topped it with a dense layer of cheese!!

As for taste, everything was supercreamy so mostly I could taste cream/grease with occasional hits of potato or garlic. It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever eaten (I once ate something called a Cheesy Fish Dog on a dare) but I wasn't going back for seconds.

So, in case you were curious to know what tater tot casserole is like, there you have it! I guess if you're curious about other fundie food specialties, I could put my whacky upbringing to work for you and try to hunt them down. :)

I'm surprised about the garlic, but not about the rest. I lean towards Transylvania-levels of garlic in my own food, so that part sounds delish to my taste buds, but even I temper the garlic in recipes that I make for others (especially a potluck, wow) since not everyone likes or can handle that much of the delicious "stinking rose" :lol:

Bleah!!! Thanks for taking one for the team, GC. As someone who prefers (and benefits from) lighter fare, I think I'd still be digesting this three days later. I grew up with Cream of Everything via my midwestern Lutheran mother & grandparents, and my arteries are still upset with me.

So, think you can get some Chickenetti on your plate?

I have to confess to making tater tot casserole :embarrassed: My kids actually adore it. DS, who thinks ketchup is the base of the food pyramid, also coats it in the stuff.

I do use ground turkey and fat free cream-of-crap soup, so at least it's not as unhealthy as this one sounds. But garlic, oh yeah, baby. Pile it on.

I usually have some soup or salad instead while they ingest this stuff.

That's right. I ate a genuine tater tot casserole served by fundies.

I've made TTC at our house before. (Let's face it, we're Tater Tot fans, but we eat them about once a month.) We used browned and drained ground beef, cream of celery soup and lots of frozen mixed vegetables in ours. I also sprinkled about a cup of grated cheddar over the top. Would I eat it every day? No. Would I serve it to anyone else besides my husband? God, no.

Another big fundie specialty: Shower/church functions punch with big globs of sherbet in it. Ewww.

I hail your courage. Where should I send the case of Pepto-Bismol?

Do the Duggars bother with green beans in their version? I don't get the impression that they're keen on vegetables, even when disguised by grease.

I've actually had vegan TTC. I really liked it, but I'm the kind of person who thinks that your description sounds pretty good. :lol:

Another big fundie specialty: Shower/church functions punch with big globs of sherbet in it. Ewww.

Is that a fundie thing? It's not really my thing, but I thought that was just how you make punch!

I've actually had vegan TTC. I really liked it, but I'm the kind of person who thinks that your description sounds pretty good. :lol:

Is that a fundie thing? It's not really my thing, but I thought that was just how you make punch!

I didn't know that was a fundie thing, as we did that in my evil Girl Scout troop.

LOL. I had this kind of punch at our wedding reception. Yes, it was at a church. Yes, it was a fundy-lite Baptist church. No dancing, no alcohol, no DJ, no throwing the garter...but hey, we had sherbet punch!

I made it for my large family way back when the duggars first had their TLC show and used ground turkey. It was very creamy tasting and was just a weird combination. Even worst is the chicken etti which you basically have to choke down since its so thick like glue.

Please explain what you mean by sherbet? Here sherbet is mad of icing sugar (confectioners sugar) citric acidic, tartaric acid and some sort of flavouring. It is a powder, served in a bag and sucked up with a straw.

When I lived in Japan, sherbet was shaved ice with flavouring poured over it.

I would not put either in punch. Punch here is made of cold tea, ginger ale, lemonade (=sprite or 7up) and fruit juice. Alcohol is optional.

I don't think we have tater tots here, but I would not be adverse to trying one. I will try anything once. Even if my digestion pays for it later. I once went to Kansas, thoroughly enjoyed myself on the local cuisine but my stomach was killing me.

Please explain what you mean by sherbet? Here sherbet is mad of icing sugar (confectioners sugar) citric acidic, tartaric acid and some sort of flavouring. It is a powder, served in a bag and sucked up with a straw.

Sherbet is American for sorbet, ie frozen fruit-flavored nondairy dessert. Usually pronounced with an extra 'r' - sher-bert. Most popular flavors are orange and rainbow (multi-colored... it's my son's choice when we go out for ice cream), and pineapple.

ps - I grew up in the US Midwest and thought pretty much every recipe began with the words, 'brown 1 lb of ground beef.'....

I just ate TTC the other day- my boyfriend and I both think it's pretty good. Not for everyday, of course, but we make it every once in a blue moon. We're talking about ways to possibly make it healthier- maybe adding some veggies to the mix and cutting down on the cream of chicken and broccoli. I'll let ya'll know how it works out ;)

Sorry, but this has pissed me off for a while. Why do they have to spell it as two words? Why can't it just be "Chickenetti"? Oh, right. Logic isn't a part of the SOTDRT.

Sherbet is American for sorbet, ie frozen fruit-flavored nondairy dessert. Usually pronounced with an extra 'r' - sher-bert. Most popular flavors are orange and rainbow (multi-colored... it's my son's choice when we go out for ice cream), and pineapple.

ps - I grew up in the US Midwest and thought pretty much every recipe began with the words, 'brown 1 lb of ground beef.'....

Sherbet has some dairy content, though, while sorbet usually doesn't. Also I hate it when people add that extra r. :lol:

What is up with cream of mushroom soup? My mother used to make a particularly vile concoction of mushroom soup, tuna and elbow macaroni that she would bake in the oven. Sometimes she would top the entire nasty mess with saltine crackers. However in my mother's defense, she was a single woman supporting three kids so I guess she just wanted to get food in us. My goodness was that sickening though :ew:

Sherbert and sorbet are not quite the same thing. Sherbert, IMO, is gross, while I love sorbet. But that may be because as a poor immigrant kid I often got sherbert because it was cheaper than ice cream sometimes. (Same reason I HAAAAAATE chicken drumsticks and wouldn't eat them even before I became a vegetarian.)

http://www.yumsugar.com/Difference-Betw ... rt-7216977

I just learned about Mormon Funeral Potatoes this weekend. Is that basically the same thing as TTC, or what?

What is up with cream of mushroom soup?

I agree, the cream of mushroom is unbearably vile IMHO. On the rare occasion I need one of those cream-based soups, I always use the celery or onion...or better yet, find a different recipe. But for TTC, there's no alternative that I know of.

I seriously think it's a fundie-specific thing around here, that tater tot casserole.

I have fundie-light friends that bring that stuff over whenever we have a catastrophe of some sort. I actually kind of enjoy it in a nasty, bad-for-me-comfort-food sort of way. But it's rare that we eat it, and I hate how all the carbs in it make you crave even more carbs.

As for the party punch, we mix a quart of rainbow sherbet with ginger ale. It looks nasty (like old dishwater), but tastes delicious.

Sherbert and sorbet are not quite the same thing. Sherbert, IMO, is gross, while I love sorbet. But that may be because as a poor immigrant kid I often got sherbert because it was cheaper than ice cream sometimes. (Same reason I HAAAAAATE chicken drumsticks and wouldn't eat them even before I became a vegetarian.)

http://www.yumsugar.com/Difference-Betw ... rt-7216977

I just learned about Mormon Funeral Potatoes this weekend. Is that basically the same thing as TTC, or what?

Funeral potatoes are different. They have more cream and no meat. I will eat them over TTC any day. The following link is similar to the recipe I have from my grandma. My recipe calls for hash browns and there is no substitute for the sour cream.

http://saltlakecity.about.com/od/dining ... Recipe.htm

TTC was actually mentioned in a documentary I watched on healthy food - called Hungry for Change. Some guy referenced it, having seen it on TV (ha!), as an example of some of the worst food you could eat.

Archived