IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

Cheese and beer can work together OK. There is a fondue recipe I have tried that has leeks, lager and Caerphilly cheese as the main ingredients, and it really works well, for some strange reason.

Cheese and beer, okay. Although my friend did not use beer in her recipe. Canned cheese soup, beer and sourkraut covered by tatertots. NO.

I double dog dare you guys to make this.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had something like this minus sauerkraut but with an envelope of onion soup mix....... It had real cheese and not canned cheese soup--wasn't as awful as it sounds, but then it was a long time ago!

Brats should not be consumed with tater tots. They should be parboiled in a good beer with brown sugar and sliced onions, then placed on a hot grill to brown, then consumed mightily with brown mustard and more good beer and a side of baked beans and hard rolls..

Sauerkraut and cheese? Not in my house. Sauerkraut and hot dogs, pork ribs, brats, pork chops, yes. Always with beer and brown sugar. Can you see the trend?

If I did even think about that casserole, it would have to be swiss cheese not cheddar.

In fact brats will be consumed next weekend when the Packers play.

eta something I forgot

• 8 months later...

There's even a variation on TTC

http://www.cakercooking.com/

(Feel free to move this to Worldly Distractions etc if need be)

What makes a recipe a "caker" recipe?

1) A “magic†ingredient. We cakers love to think we’ve discovered some sort of short cut. Usually, this short cut requires a can opener.

2) Ease. The recipe has to have as few steps and as few ingredients as possible.

3) Frugality. There’s nothing more wasteful than spending good money on food.

oh, "caker" is shortened from mangiacake - Canadians will know what I mean...cake eater....or really, those of us who ate Wonderbread ("cake") and baloney sandwiches while the "ethnic" kids ate sandwiches or pitas with whole grain and actual meat and veggies....

Food is one of the three basic essentials of life! Don't pay for air, pay only a small price for water - so yes, spend your money on food! Food is a necessity! It's only wasteful to spend good money on food if you don't eat it. :doh:

oh, "caker" is shortened from mangiacake - Canadians will know what I mean...cake eater....or really, those of us who ate Wonderbread ("cake") and baloney sandwiches while the "ethnic" kids ate sandwiches or pitas with whole grain and actual meat and veggies....

A sure way to spot a mangiacake is if they pronounce Italian "Eye-talian."

Food is one of the three basic essentials of life! Don't pay for air, pay only a small price for water - so yes, spend your money on food! Food is a necessity! It's only wasteful to spend good money on food if you don't eat it.

Conuly - you know he's got his tongue in cheek, right? The site is a humorous tribute to cookery that developed around processed foods and their convenience. The "caker" thing is purely a Canadian reference, but otherwise it's all the gross and wonderful stuff that many of our fundie families love (along with those of us who grew up with it).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... mangiacake

Translation: "Cake eater". A derogatory term used by blue collar Italo-Canadians used to describe commercialized middle-class WASPs. Italo-Canadians would view the typical daily diet of fellow WASP workers to be based on refined white flour and sugar.

Dave: "Yum! Kraft peanut butter and jam sandwiches on Wonderbread and a Coke and Twinkie" for lunch. I've been hungry since my usual double-double coffee and 3 Tim Horton's donuts from this morning. I can't wait to get home and have a Schneider's honey glazed ham and McCaines frozen cake."

Mario: "Dave. Oh. Don't be such a mangiacake. I got a mortadella, tomato and provolone on a pannino and escarole salad. Why don't you come over to my moms and try some of her pasta al forno with veal and dad's homemade sausage and wine."

buy mangia

OMG thank you for posting this !! Amazing!!! There's a recipe on the first page that we used to make when I was a kid-- the peanut butter chocolate squares.

>_>

I um.

I see some good recipes there.

*quietly bookmarks site*

*does same* :whistle:

:lol:

LOL!

Once upon a time, I worked in Woodbridge. As the token non-Italian, I had an associate explain "mangiacake" to me. I still smile whenever I hear the term. That and "puttana" are the two Italian terms that stuck in my mind....

Conuly - you know he's got his tongue in cheek, right? The site is a humorous tribute to cookery that developed around processed foods and their convenience. The "caker" thing is purely a Canadian reference, but otherwise it's all the gross and wonderful stuff that many of our fundie families love (along with those of us who grew up with it).

Ah - no, I didn't. But I admit, I didn't go to the link, I just read the quote and jumped to a conclusion on how to take it. My laptop broke, and I've been using an iPad, which I don't like nearly as much. Among other things, there are limits to how many tabs you can open, and it's really been making me lazy in that respect. Sorry. :oops:

I should do a list of kosher "caker" recipes, taken from synagogue cookbooks.

1. Apricot chicken - this recipe is in EVERY collection, and nobody really knows where it started. Do non-Jews eat this as well?

chicken pieces

1 package onion soup mix

1 jar apricot jam

1 bottle Russian salad dressing

Combine last 3 ingredients, pour over chicken, bake at 350 until done.

2. No-bake key lime pie:

Equal amount of frozen limeade, Cool Whip and sweetened condensed milk are mixed together, poured over a graham crumb crust and put in the fridge.

3. No-bake cherry cheese cake:

Combine sweetened condensed milk, a package of cream cheese and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. Pour over a graham crumb crust, stick in the fridge, and then pour a can of cherry pie filling over it before serving.

4. Assorted recipes involving Coca-cola:

I have no idea why, but a number of recipes called for mixing Coke into meatballs or brisket.

5. The ultimate traditional kosher-meets-fundie-cooking-mutant:

Behold, the gefilte fish jello mold:

http://julieandjello.wordpress.com/2010 ... fish-mold/

This recipe really exists in one of the best-selling fundraiser cookbooks of all times, Second Helpings. I have no idea why anyone would combine lemon jello with fish.

I watched part of a series on Netflix about Australian cowgirls( not Jewish) and they ate apricot chicken everyday. Thanks for the recipe. An entire bottle of Russian salad dressing and an entire jar of jam wasn't what I expected!

OMG I haven't had that in over a decade. Did you grow up SDA?

Err no..I grew up with food.

Special K? The cereal you add milk to right?

HAHAHA I love this site, I find his writing funny.

Knoxapcaplpse anyone????

Vintage cacker cooking????

He has contests and in one you have to EAT and DESCRIBE how it tasted. One lady made a vintage Weight Watchers recipe starting with lime jello...ok, pineapple.....ok tuna....gross you should of seen her face when she ATE it! Priceless. Using my iPad and it's really slow right now so to lazy to post links funny stuff.

I am not going to share how excited I was to see the 'after dinner mints' are made like potato candy.

mmm, potato candy.

I should buy potatoes, make candy, and ship it to my sisters as a pre-christmas-fall-present.

They'd be thrilled.

(really)

Archived