IGNORED

Baby Dilly

Duggor

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's terrible that there are so many husbands and other family members that are willing to make a woman feel badly for the choices she makes about her own birth experience. I'm pretty sure the person who is actually laboring to deliver the child would always be the best judge in knowing how much pain she can handle and whether or not she needs drugs.

Everyone else who is outside of her womb, body, and pain levels can sod off.

I agree with this, but so many women get insanely invested in a "perfect" birth that there is no reasoning with them, hence why so many women who get the epidurals they ask for end up feeling guilty even without anyone saying anything. I know women who've given their husbands shit for NOT arguing with them. When my cousin was planning her birth and she said, "Talk me out of an an epidural no matter what I say," I told her that maybe she should wait until she experiences the pain of labor before saying anything, and that while I'd remind her of what she said once I wasn't going to make any effort to talk her out of anything. Frankly, I find the way people romanticize nature in general and birth in particular a bit ridiculous.

I knew right away that I wanted an epidural. I am an absolute baby with pain, and by the time the epidural kicked in, I was already hurting pretty bad. It was such relief that I went to sleep. Then, I woke up and the epidural had either worn off, or wasn't put in right, or something (they kept pumping it in, my mom says they did it wrong, and my doctor was pissed. I meant to ask my doctor about it when I saw her again, but I keep forgetting) Then they did a csection, and although I felt no pain, I felt them tugging at my insides, and I never want to experience that again. it felt weird.

Anyway, I was induced right at 40 weeks, but apparently I had preeclampsia and nobody knew it until the day i went in for induction.

No one should ever feel bad for accepting pain relief. Every labor is different. 2 of my 3 were short labors no pain relief, easy breezy. My third was a horribly painful long labor with an epidural. The only emotion I felt about the epidural was tremendous gratitude that it existed. I had no birth plan other than to attempt a drug free labor/delivery and to have a healthy baby. I do not look back and wish anything differently. The biggest help was a supportive spouse which to me was 1) Talk to me normally 2) Don't touch me before asking 3)Don't take things personally, lol 4) Do everything I ask of you, no questions. It worked! Edited because I accidentally posted comment before I was done. Then finished comment and realized that I rambled on n on n on.....

I can't stop laughing at the 'To Jill and Derick, from God' on the bow around her belly.

I can't get over that tag or the bible quote. They also have another picture of them on a boat with the tag #baby dilly's first boat trip and while I understand to them life begins at conception still it seems weird to be ticking off those sorts of firsts (and creating hashtags for them) when it's still in utero.

I truly hope that Jill has a drama-free L&D with no problems. That said, I hope that she is open to having a different birth experience than she plans. I had everything perfectly planned for Lil Marshmallow, but ended up having to be induced. My body simply wasn't going into labor, and my ObGyn was concerned that Lil Marshmallow might defecate in the womb, and then breathe it in, which can be deadly. We scheduled to the induction after the weekend if I didn't go into labor.

I didn't and the day I was scheduled, both my parents and Mr. Marshmallow's parents called and BEGGED me not to be induced. They saw it as a failure, and told me that if I waited God would allow the baby to come when s/he was ready. I was tired, hungry, and emotional, and I felt so horrible. I still went in to be induced because the thought of a stillborn was incomprehensible. I didn't buy what my parents and in-laws said, but it still stung and I still get snobby comments about it from my MIL almost a decade later.

I don't get why people are so judgy about other's birth experiences (not here on FJ, just in general). I hope Jill realizes that a hospital birth is not a statement of your personal worth. Hell, J'Chelle had plenty of those, even with cameras.

Oohhhh your MIL is pissing me off right now! The ONLY thing that matters is mom and baby come through delivery alive. I hate anyone who thinks there is a right way to do it that involves more than that. As for drugs, I guess I understand why some people don't want them but I take ibuprofen for a HEAD ACHE and I'm guessing that is much less pain that passing a child through your vagina. I sure as shit would have had meds if I'd done that. As it was, I had an emergency section with a spinal, then general. I did make good use of that morphine pump afterwards too :)

Oohhhh your MIL is pissing me off right now! The ONLY thing that matters is mom and baby come through delivery alive. I hate anyone who thinks there is a right way to do it that involves more than that. As for drugs, I guess I understand why some people don't want them but I take ibuprofen for a HEAD ACHE and I'm guessing that is much less pain that passing a child through your vagina. I sure as shit would have had meds if I'd done that. As it was, I had an emergency section with a spinal, then general. I did make good use of that morphine pump afterwards too :)

For me personally I'm scared of getting an epidural. The needle is just SO big! I was also lucky that I had quick labors. I did break down and request one with my son when I was in transition (and a nurse told me that since I had just gotten to the hospital I probably wasn't even in active labor yet) but by the time I could actually have one it was time to push since you have to wait an hour for a bag of IV fluids to go into you. I also had to pay a percentage of the cost of the birth with my daughter and calculated that I would save $500 by not getting one so I was pretty determined to save that money.

The stories I can tell about my MIL... She had all 7 completely natural deliveries (mad props there, seriously) because of Eve committing the first sin and women being punished in childbirth as a result. My MIL says that she had easy labor and deliveries, though (which I'm jealous about!) so she could not possibly comprehend that I *had* to be induced for the safety of myself and her own grandchild. Somehow she found out that I had an epidural during L&D and LOST IT. I didn't really "give birth." In fact, the last time she mentioned that she hoped I could someday have a "real birth" my lovely husband basically told her to STFU now and forevermore about our choices.

And then there's the whole thing about how we are raising our child completely wrong because we "let her around the gays" and don't go to church...

There's a reason why we live a few states away :roll:

Ummm, no, RCism isn't the oldest form of Christianity! Plenty of Middle Eastern churches such as the Syriac church are far older.

And the Coptic Christians in Egypt

anyone else find it strange that her brothers are spending the night

these two are still newlyweds, have a baby on the way and she drives him to work with them

it's just strange

again strings probably

Honestly I don't find it strange. When my husband and I were newlyweds my little brother and sister (16 and 19 years younger than me) used to spend the night at our house regularly. They loved staying with us. They even stayed an entire 3-4 days once when my parents had to go out of town. LOL

Honestly I don't find it strange. When my husband and I were newlyweds my little brother and sister (16 and 19 years younger than me) used to spend the night at our house regularly. They loved staying with us. They even stayed an entire 3-4 days once when my parents had to go out of town. LOL

Not strange- Jill used to be one of the moms in the house. Most of those little kids probably have no real relationship with Michelle.

Marshmellow World, I guess I have been around a lot longer and can shoot from the hip when I want to without worries so I would have told your MIL, Well when you have your next baby, you can do it that way, NO BACK OFF!. But of course, that's just me.

Not strange- Jill used to be one of the moms in the house. Most of those little kids probably have no real relationship with Michelle.

I don't think it's weird, either. IME people with much younger siblings tend to have very strong parent-like relationships with them very often, and we all know that's the case with Jill and her team of J'kids. I think it's nice that they've stayed close, and those kids are probably desperate to get out of their house.

For me personally I'm scared of getting an epidural. The needle is just SO big! I was also lucky that I had quick labors. I did break down and request one with my son when I was in transition (and a nurse told me that since I had just gotten to the hospital I probably wasn't even in active labor yet) but by the time I could actually have one it was time to push since you have to wait an hour for a bag of IV fluids to go into you. I also had to pay a percentage of the cost of the birth with my daughter and calculated that I would save $500 by not getting one so I was pretty determined to save that money.

I am a ginormous wimp when it comes to needles, but damn, after the pitocin kicked in and the IV pain meds stopped working, I didn't care how big the needle was. I really, really needed the epidural. (I wonder sometimes if either they gave me too much pitocin or I am just sensitive to it.) The pitocin contractions were long, and a real bitch.

I got an itemized bill afterwards, and the IV bags were freakishly expensive for saline. I don't even remember what the epi cost, but I think saline was $40 a liter or some crazy thing.

I am a ginormous wimp when it comes to needles, but damn, after the pitocin kicked in and the IV pain meds stopped working, I didn't care how big the needle was. I really, really needed the epidural. (I wonder sometimes if either they gave me too much pitocin or I am just sensitive to it.) The pitocin contractions were long, and a real bitch.

I got an itemized bill afterwards, and the IV bags were freakishly expensive for saline. I don't even remember what the epi cost, but I think saline was $40 a liter or some crazy thing.

I broke down with my son when I was in the transition phase although I didn't realize it and they assumed since it was my first and I'd only been at the hospital for a short time it was early labor. I think I would have gotten one had my labor been longer and I wasn't even on Pitocin. I'm sure if I was that I wouldn't have managed without an epidural. I mostly just lucked into a "natural" deliveries since my labors were fairly quick and started on their own.

LOL I love that thriftiness played a part! I am no fan of needles either, though after doing IVF and giving myself tons of shots I got over most of it. However anyone needs to get through giving birth is their own business.

The lovely Duggars just posted this on their facebook

Sweet picture of our Jill and her little one! At this point in gestation, there is now a 90% chance that he could survive outside the womb. Life is beautiful. We can't wait to meet this boy!

this irks me

isn't she like 6 months pregnant - do they want her to have a major premie

doesn't make sense at all - shouldn't baby Dilly cook all the way through !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry-banghead:

I don't know. I get how it sounds weird, but having had some exposure to premature babies, I remember with my first pregnancy getting to around the same time and telling my family the same stat about the likelihood of survival.

It wasn't at all that I was hoping my baby came early - more so that it was a relief to know that if something were to happen, my baby would have a really good chance.

Since the Duggars have had some exposure to pre term babies now, maybe it's just the same sort of relief that they're expressing?

Also it might be partly pro life statement? Like, look this baby is still in the womb but totally a person because it could survive if it was born?

Wow, I guess I took it completely differently. I don't think they were suggesting at all that they would be happy if he were born now. I don't see anything weird about celebrating the fact that their baby would be viable if it were born now, especially after what they went through with Josie.

Maybe it's because of my prior losses and infertility but I am counting down to viability. With my son I posted a similar post because I had the mental relief knowing that if God forbid something happened and he was born we would have a good chance of bringing him home. Lots of moms I know are so happy to reach that milestone and post similar sentiments.

After having my first son at 25 weeks then going into labor at 20 weeks with number 2 (thankfully they got it stopped) countdown to viability was a huge thing for me!

Archived