IGNORED

The Stoney Gate Home...

SassyPants

So I am watching the all day TLC Marathon and they just showed the SG home renovation episode. JB stated that the Duggars have owned the home for a couple of years. Does anyone know if the Duggars have rented out that home before, resulting in the pig sty shown, or if the home has been sitting in that condition for years?

If it's the latter, I wonder if JB really is such a grand businessman-

The Stoney Brook home was featured on an old episode a few years back. It was a pigsty when they bought it - hence JB got it for a bargain.

The Stoney Brook home was featured on an old episode a few yea

rs back. It was a pigsty when they bought it - hence JB got it for a bargain.

Did they ever clean it up or rent it out before now?

Are you saying that they've had it for years, sitting around in that condition?

I think that photos we saw of it being beyond trashed were old. There's no way they went from what they showed to what they have now in just a few short months. Even if they had hired a contractor it would have taken longer. What we actually saw them do is more like what is done when renters move out.

The Stoney Brook home was first on the episode, Kittens and Konstruction, and that episode aired at the start of October, 2012. If they had been actively fixing the house up there is no way it would have taken 2 years, and he would have had a tenant in there until Jill or Jessa needed a love shack. But who knows...

The Stoney Brook home was first on the episode, Kittens and Konstruction, and that episode aired at the start of October, 2012. If they had been actively fixing the house up there is no way it would have taken 2 years, and he would have had a tenant in there until Jill or Jessa needed a love shack. But who knows...

Look how long it took them to build the TTH and it would not have been finished without the serious amount of professional help they got. I bet he bought it for a bargain and sat on it for awhile in its horrible condition. I think his first plan might have been to clean it up, like we saw in the episode, but no do major work and try to resell for a quick profit. When that didn't happen or a courtship started he got professional help. I don't believe Jim Bob and sons re-did that kitchen or woodwork. It also looks like besides the kitchen, windows, and some flooring, he didn't do much more then cleanup and freshening. That master bath, while big, was very dated.

I wonder how many properties he owns? He got lucky this home is so close to Derick's work and not to far from the TTH.

My feeling is he is letting Jill and Derick use his house as long as they agree to save a certain amount of money, lets say $800 a month in a housing fund(some amount similar to rent) and then in years when they have enough saved , they will buy a home for cash. By that time maybe Hannie will be the next one to get the home.

I wonder if the house is on enough land to lease out to someone as a pasture? I just find it funny that JimBob touts himself as being so frugal but would pay property taxes on an empty house for almost 2 years.

I was laughing my butt off when the Duggars showed up to "help" the carpet installers and it wound up taking twice as long. I bet those contractors were about to blow their top. I can't imagine trying to get any kind of construction work done with all the kids running around.

I wonder if the house is on enough land to lease out to someone as a pasture? I just find it funny that JimBob touts himself as being so frugal but would pay property taxes on an empty house for almost 2 years.

I was laughing my butt off when the Duggars showed up to "help" the carpet installers and it wound up taking twice as long. I bet those contractors were about to blow their top. I can't imagine trying to get any kind of construction work done with all the kids running around.

I want to give JB and the boys some credit for having decent construction skills, but if they left that place in that horrible state and vacant for years, they likely are not all that handy.

The laziness out weighs the business sense,

Look how long it took them to build the TTH and it would not have been finished without the serious amount of professional help they got. I bet he bought it for a bargain and sat on it for awhile in its horrible condition. I think his first plan might have been to clean it up, like we saw in the episode, but no do major work and try to resell for a quick profit. When that didn't happen or a courtship started he got professional help. I don't believe Jim Bob and sons re-did that kitchen or woodwork. It also looks like besides the kitchen, windows, and some flooring, he didn't do much more then cleanup and freshening. That master bath, while big, was very dated.

I wonder how many properties he owns? He got lucky this home is so close to Derick's work and not to far from the TTH.

My feeling is he is letting Jill and Derick use his house as long as they agree to save a certain amount of money, lets say $800 a month in a housing fund(some amount similar to rent) and then in years when they have enough saved , they will buy a home for cash. By that time maybe Hannie will be the next one to get the home.

Given that Jill's pregnancy is being featured in People Magazine LITERALLY every other week, the magazine has to be paying them something. I wonder if they are giving Boob the People money in exchange for the house.

I'm gonna give JB a pass for this one. They bought it on the super cheap and now it's worth over a million. They did most of the work themselves. They can always rent or sell it or use it. And they learned how to do carpet so they can do that on their own in the future.

I'm gonna give JB a pass for this one. They bought it on the super cheap and now it's worth over a million. They did most of the work themselves. They can always rent or sell it or use it. And they learned how to do carpet so they can do that on their own in the future.

Agreed. We don't know if they paid the carpet guys extra or worked out a special rate to teach them to do carpet (I imagine Jim-Bob probably knows how to do carpet anyway--he's rehabbed houses before). The place was a wreck. Two years of rehabbing on your own isn't far-fetched. I imagine that's partly where John and Joseph have been--rehabbing between cars to tow, etc. John rehabbed his own house, too, during that time.

So apparently the Stony Brook home is part of the Duggar trust. Interestingly, Terry Jordan (Amy's dad) lives a few houses down the road.

Duggars do own a TON of properies, residential and commercial. They got very lucky 20 years ago.

So apparently the Stony Brook home is part of the Duggar trust. Interestingly, Terry Jordan (Amy's dad) lives a few houses down the road.

Duggars do own a TON of properies, residential and commercial. They got very lucky 20 years ago.

So maybe JB will be able to dole out homes for each of the kids...

Jim Bob seems to know what he's doing with property. Whatever he bought that house for, he has a long-term plan - even if we can only speculate on what it is. And speculate we will :lol:

He wouldn't have dumped a ton of money into buying the property (which clearly has several potential separate lots on it, if you look at the overhead view) if it wasn't a reasonable choice financially. God, I just hope he doesn't build several smaller houses on the property and have all of the kids raise their enormous families within yelling distance of each other...

Jim Bob seems to know what he's doing with property. Whatever he bought that house for, he has a long-term plan - even if we can only speculate on what it is. And speculate we will :lol:

He wouldn't have dumped a ton of money into buying the property (which clearly has several potential separate lots on it, if you look at the overhead view) if it wasn't a reasonable choice financially. God, I just hope he doesn't build several smaller houses on the property and have all of the kids raise their enormous families within yelling distance of each other...

IDK,maybe for that family that arrangement might be the best for many of them...it takes a village. Their family is really the only village they know. It might be easier raising your 10 kids with your sisters near by who were each also raising their 10 kids...

Send a few of the boys over to GP Duggars TTH to pogo stick around the kitchen. LOL

He bought the house (in it's crappy state) in Feb. of 2012 and must have started the reno fairly quickly, as he had it back on the market in Aug. for 15 TIMES the amount he paid! But by Feb. 2013 it was off the market. Because he could get his asking price or because Derrick was now his prayer partner? :D

Gotta love house flipping!

That sounds kind of fun, and no matter how crowded can never equal Home Sweet Bus.

I agree. This is the least he can do for Jill for forcing her to be part of the dog and pony show. Hell, JB owes them all a house.

it looks like a residential zone, the houses across the street have big pools. But then -- my parents bought a house in a housing development where the homeowners' association allowed their neighbors to set up a mini-bike dirt track for their twin boys all around their house. It was like living next to a motorcross arena. My parents were not thrilled. All new houses with at least an acre, in a Houston suburb close to The Woodlands. (this was before the recession) So maybe an area like Arkansas that values farming would allow livestock on residential land. :lol:

On television this place looks secluded. I was surprised to hear about the nice houses right across the street. I imagine Jim Bob has enough $$ to wait out the slump in prices to make a good profit. I doubt that Derick and Jill and Billy Dilly will do any damage.

Does Terry live with Deanna or does he have his own place? I don't know this gossip! :popcorn2:

He said a million. I found a house in the same sub division that looked like a carbon copy of it and it was listed for 500 or half of what JB thinks Jill's house is worth.

He said a million. I found a house in the same sub division that looked like a carbon copy of it and it was listed for 500 or half of what JB thinks Jill's house is worth.

I looked before and I want to say it was valued in the 400 thousands, not the millions. JB... :think:

What town is the Stoney Gate house in? People keep saying it is close to the Walmart (offices) where Derick works.

What town is the Stoney Gate house in? People keep saying it is close to the Walmart (offices) where Derick works.

Bentonville it's right on the edge of town.

Archived