IGNORED

Actors, Models, and Talent for Christ

Firiel

This company just came up as a Pandora ad:

amtcworld.com/

Actors, Models, and Talent for Christ.

Here's a fun quote from a success story "from the mission field" (amtcworld.com/the-results/real-life-stories/ty-alaxandar-is-overcoming-obstacles):

Tyler Griffin (Ty Alaxandar) knew he was called to perform at a very young age. Little did he know that God would ask him to model in American Eagle campaigns, act in off-broadway productions, sing on Reality Dance TV’s Boys Of Summer tour, and dance his way into being the CEO of his nonprofit organization, Fit to Flow.

:roll: Giving it all for Christ there, aren't you, Ty? Modeling for American Eagle sure isn't an easy life, but you've really taken up your cross for Christ.

I dunno, this god of theirs has some mighty fucked up priorities he arranged for this guy to model for American Eagle while a whole bunch of apparently unworthy folks keep dying from that pesky ebola.

Those billboards pop up in Omaha with some frequency with dates for "auditions" to be held locally. I always assumed that it is mostly a scam. They seem to target the more low income areas of the city--I don't see the signs in the wealthy suburbs.

I have a coworker whose daughter was involved with this and it seemed like they targeted people with $$$. I think her daughter was recruited at a prayer thing before a dance competition. Her daughter switched over to a Christian dance studio that AMTC folks suggested and went to tons of competitions and also to dance conventions in LA and NYC during high school.

It did seem like her daughter enjoyed it quite a bit. I know I have heard their advertisements on the radio and I know they recruit kids from Christian camps. I guess they figure if you can afford to pay $2K+ per kid for two weeks of summer camp, then you will have no problem shelling out $$ for singing, modeling or acting lessons.

I dunno, this god of theirs has some mighty fucked up priorities he arranged for this guy to model for American Eagle while a whole bunch of apparently unworthy folks keep dying from that pesky ebola.

God truly does work in mysterious ways.

Only one person has come out of that place and gone on to be a household name. Megan Fox. Otherwise known as that nearly naked chick in the Transformers movie who, hypocritically, speaks out against the very acting that made her wealthy.

For shits and giggles, I looked onto that place. You have to have serious money to go there. You're better off trying to get into Juilliard or NYU or one of a number of other places than going to AMTC.

I do think it's funny that "God asked" Ty to do those things, but couldn't make it happen without Ty's family shelling out a small fortune. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't tell whose Christian or not by looking at regular ads. So much for doing this "for Christ." More like you're doing it for the people making money off gullible idiots.

A student at my university posted in the student facebook group about fundraising for this -- the overall impression from everyone else was that it sounds like a scam (I was somewhat tactful and mentioned Matt. 10:16 instead of "it's a scam, dummy"). I hope she does something else with her summer.

A girl I know actually did this, and yeah, she had fun, but AMTC doesn't really prepare students. She is vocally extremely talented, but it was drilled into them not to wear "immodest" stuff, like anything showing more than two fingers below collar bones, and to conduct themselves as proper little ladies. She tried out for American Idol, and didn't get past because she started arguing when they told her she'd need to drop the innocent little maiden act, and she said vocal ability is all that should matter.

Now she's going to American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York trying to learn to be comfortable enough to wear scoop-neck shirts on stage.

Basically AMTC prepared her to be in a Kirk Cameron movie, and it's going to cost a hundred grand to try undoing the damage.

Archived