IGNORED

It creeps in when you least expect it...

Secular4Me

I was reading a review for a very dry, public school type textbook on Amazon

(http://www.amazon.com/Sentence-Composin ... 003&sr=1-3)

and found this review:

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful

Christian homeschoolers beware: Killgallon quotes from objectionable authors...

By S. Dumas on September 12, 2014

Format: Paperback Verified Purchase

Those of you who are opposed to horror genre may take note that he uses tons of quotes from Stephen King and other objectionable authors. The actual quotes themselves are clean in innocuous, but I don't want to hold Stephen King up as being a model author of whom we should imitate, or value. So, for me, this was not a great book. We are sending it back for a refund.

Hmmmm...so no actual objectionable content (and how many sheltered fundie kids would really know about Stephen King anyway), but textbook must be AVOIDED!

Stephen King wrote a very good, thoughtful writer's guide called "On Writing." He isn't all blood and horror and creepy clowns.

Stephen King wrote a very good, thoughtful writer's guide called "On Writing." He isn't all blood and horror and creepy clowns.

Sadly, because that is one aspect of the whole person, the whole person is condemned. Sounds familiar, right?

I believe I've stumbled across reviews in this vein before, on Amazon. I just can't remember what I was researching. :shrug:

When I was in third grade I loved me some Goosebumps, and my friend's Mormon grandmother had an objection to that. I clearly remember her telling us "If you have a house and you put in a piece of furniture that you don't like, you can take it out. But your mind is not like a house, and if you put something bad in there, you can't just decide to remove it." That's really good advice, but I don't mind having Goosebumps in my head.

Sadly, because that is one aspect of the whole person, the whole person is condemned. Sounds familiar, right?

I believe I've stumbled across reviews in this vein before, on Amazon. I just can't remember what I was researching. :shrug:

A fundie friend of mine does the same thing. :lol: She's got her classical music options down to basically just Handel, no Tchaikovsky, of course. :roll:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I always smile when Fundies review my books. :) Sometimes they hate my books, in which case they always attribute some weird radical viewpoint to me (not my characters, me). I can never figure out where they get these supposed viewpoints from. :oops:

But they never notice the stuff I put in that, based on their worldview, you'd think would upset them. For example, they never notice my gay characters, I suppose because the men don't have limp wrists and the women don't have buzz-cuts. :evil-eye:

When I was in third grade I loved me some Goosebumps, and my friend's Mormon grandmother had an objection to that. I clearly remember her telling us "If you have a house and you put in a piece of furniture that you don't like, you can take it out. But your mind is not like a house, and if you put something bad in there, you can't just decide to remove it." That's really good advice, but I don't mind having Goosebumps in my head.

And that makes it all the easier to brainwash & dominate an individual.

I have that book and it's wonderful!

I don't think anybody tops Stephen when it comes to writing child characters. His writing featuring children may not be suitable for kids, but the kids -whether it be the The Loser's Club from It, the kids in the short story The Body adapted as Stand By Me, Jake from The Dark Tower series, or Jack Sawyer from The Talisman are so real.

Stephen King is a brilliant writer, and an instructor (college professor). Have not read 'On Writing" but have read his "Danse Macabre"; on the history of horror in media, and loved it.

Don't large parts of the Bible count as one long horror story?

Horror-incest-rape-mass-murder-infaticide-blood-sacrifice fairytales. Donkey di**s, horse emission, dad-daughters threesomes, so the sooner you smother your kids' face in the Bible the better.

I LOVE Stephen King, and have read 95% of his books (I say 95% only because I haven't read some of the non-fiction or collaborative stuff), and as another poster mentioned, the Bible easily equals or outweighs the "horrors" King writes (especially since the Bible is supposed to be literal history, and King is fictional).

Have any of you read "The Stand"? It basically boils down to good vs. evil, with Mother Abigail (good, and "God directed") against Randall Flagg (evil).

I LOVE Stephen King, and have read 95% of his books (I say 95% only because I haven't read some of the non-fiction or collaborative stuff), and as another poster mentioned, the Bible easily equals or outweighs the "horrors" King writes (especially since the Bible is supposed to be literal history, and King is fictional).

Have any of you read "The Stand"? It basically boils down to good vs. evil, with Mother Abigail (good, and "God directed") against Randall Flagg (evil).

I love The Stand. The first King book I read was Desperation-- I can't even remember why I picked it up, since I avoided him because I don't like being scared. So yes, it was scary, but I was truly impressed at how he wove God and Christianity into the story. (Back then I was Christian.) It gave me a completely different take on him, and now I've read most of his books. Still won't read Cujo. I like dogs.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I tried reading Stephen King books in English a few times and never got into them. I thought his ideas were interesting but the way that he wrote, how can I say it, didn't make the books fast paced, page turners. One of my favorite authors is Dean Koontz, and I always say that he writes in the same genre as Stephen King, but his books are impossible to put down. Anyway, about a year ago someone lent me a copy of the Stephen King book about the guy who tries to go back in time to save Kennedy (the title is a date that I'm way too young to remember), but this was a translated (not English) edition and it was sooooo good! What I want to know is whether that book was written in a different style than most of King's books, or whether the translator wrote it in a style that I like better. (Members only because I've told this story to about half the people that I know irl :lol: )

I've heard from other people that they also sometimes like books better when the book has been translated. I read a translated Dean Koontz book and hated it. Harry Potter is equally good in both languages.

Have you read his last letter on the tax and the rich ? AMAZING !

I thought he was a bad writer, but I'm now a big fan :D I've began with his novella and I admire his novellist talent ! Reading the book "Shining" have also change my point of view on the movie... I thought it was a good movie, but in comparison with the book, well no.

Archived