IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 8

happy atheist

It's an interesting question. I would hope the Duggars would consider their child's life and good health to be more important than an individual part from a potential donor who doesn't share their beliefs, but who can say? :think:

They have a history of ignoring things they don't like about people in order to achieve their version of The Greater Good (Santorum being Catholic = not important as long as he shares other significant aspects of the Duggar belief system and can get into office to promote their shared agenda), so maybe in the end, it just wouldn't matter as long as the donor was compatible.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll tackle the bone marrow part of this question.

If a Duggarling needed a bone marrow transplant, every immediate family member would be tested. All of the child's 18 siblings, plus both Duggar parents. Because this family is favored by huge numbers, there is a good chance of finding a compatible bone marrow match.

If one could not be found, a donor would be found and matched in the bone marrow registry, based on the number of genetic markers that were established in the initial blood test. For example, my husband is a match for my son - he has 5 out of the 6 genetic markers required for a bone marrow transplant to take place. For the Duggars, further intermediate testing would determine if that family member would still be the best possible match, or if extended family were a possible match. Cousin Amy and Grandma Mary could even be tested (Mary would be too old to donate - the cutoff age is 60). If no match is found, there are others on the bone marrow registry that could be selected based on similar genetic markers.

If a random person from the registry is selected as the best possible match, the protocol is that the Duggars would not be allowed to meet this person for either 1 or 2 years, I think it was changed to 2. The family would not be allowed to know the identity of the donor in case the transplant fails. If all is well and the recipient got through the transplant successfully by the end of the given time period, then the family is allowed to know the name of the donor and to meet with him or her if they so desire.

So the answer to your question is, the Duggar family wouldn't be allowed to know anything about the marrow donor, and my guess is, if everything went well and both parties chose to meet, they wouldn't care about the donor's beliefs. Beliefs simply wouldn't be a factor in what would be the Happiest Episode Ever. I think Michelle and Jim Bob would just be happy to have their child alive.

That's what I know so far, but there are probably at least couple of other posters here who would know more about it than I do. ;)

As to kidneys or other organs, I cannot say what the protocol is.

Yeah, true, they don't usually tell you about the donor straight away.

But as you said, family members could be a possible donor. You mentioned Mary, Amy and Jimbob's side of the family, but Michelle's family would also be as likely to be a match. So it might come up-what if the only match possible was Michelle's lesbian sister? Don't know much about Michelle's family as they stay off the show, but she is the youngest of a more average sized large family, and they aren't fundies. It could be possible that there are other people in there who are radically different from the Duggars beliefs-like atheists or very strongly pro choice people.

The reason I have wondered about this is because of their staunch views about abortion. At all costs stay preggars even if it means the mother loses her life (life threatening medical problem crops up for example). Just curious if they would sacrifice the life of a child over their platform...would ebil organs or other biologicals be acceptable? Or would they turn to prayer for a "straight" organ/biological?

The reason I have wondered about this is because of their staunch views about abortion. At all costs stay preggars even if it means the mother loses her life (life threatening medical problem crops up for example). Just curious if they would sacrifice the life of a child over their platform...would ebil organs or other biologicals be acceptable? Or would they turn to prayer for a "straight" organ/biological?

Actually, the Duggars have stated that in a life threatening situation, everything must be done to save the mothers life, even if it means the child will due.

imo they would take the organ/transfusion/marrow because they believe that sexual orientation is a choice and a conscious preference. That's the only way they can call it a sin.

Actually, the Duggars have stated that in a life threatening situation, everything must be done to save the mothers life, even if it means the child will due.

Where/when was this?

The whole family is visiting College of the Ozarks, according to IG. It looks like JB (who is looking quite stout in the picture), and 14 or so of the kids. Iiiiiiinteresting.

The whole family is visiting College of the Ozarks, according to IG. It looks like JB (who is looking quite stout in the picture), and 14 or so of the kids. Iiiiiiinteresting.

They also visited the University of Arkansas! I don't want to get too excited, but I pray this means one of the Duggarlings might be considering pursuing higher education.

Someone called this back on the Jessa honeymoon thread.

I don't see JD going to college. But Jana and Jinger--and especially Josiah---hmmm.

God, I hope BenJessa aren't honeymooning near there and had to go meet up with the whole dog n pony show for the cameras. Let Jessa get away from this damn family for once.

Unless--here's an interesting plot twist--what if Ben is considering transferring to College of the Ozarks? And what if Jessa is going too!!!!!!

The whole "work for your education and graduate debt-free" ethos of College of the Ozarks: http://www.cofo.edu/ would certainly fit into the Duggar philosophy.

I don't see JD going to college. But Jana and Jinger--and especially Josiah---hmmm.

God, I hope BenJessa aren't honeymooning near there and had to go meet up with the whole dog n pony show for the cameras. Let Jessa get away from this damn family for once.

Unless--here's an interesting plot twist--what if Ben is considering transferring to College of the Ozarks? And what if Jessa is going too!!!!!!

The whole "work for your education and graduate debt-free" ethos of College of the Ozarks: http://www.cofo.edu/ would certainly fit into the Duggar philosophy.

I know someone who went there and is now in veterinary school. Must be a good education.

IF Anna is pregnant (and I'm not saying she is or she isn't - just IF) I have a strong feeling that she found out relatively recently and in the two months or so since the jender reveal party which was held in the first couple of weeks of September. So, IF she is pregnant, and since these people start their mornings by peeing on a stick - she could still be very early on and not showing yet.

What reveal party? I keep seeing mentions of it but don't know the story

What reveal party? I keep seeing mentions of it but don't know the story

Priscilla and David's baby's reveal party, slated to air next Tuesday...the baby GIRL was already born this last week and is named "Davilla."

I was just watching the Josh and Anna special where they talk about how great marriage is, and she actually says "like, if I didn't have a husband, I could be working AND taking out the trash!"

I just think that's such a weird thing to say! Like I'm so lucky I'm married because otherwise I would have to work and do household chores? Hello, that's how most of America lives and wouldn't she have had to take out the trash growing up? And no she wouldn't be living alone, working, taking out her trash, she'd be at home with mom and dad.

I've grown to like Anna a lot more this season especially after watching some of the old shows on youtube. She seems like a great mom and much more confident than she used to be, but when they say things like that I think the crazy flags start to fly.

Priscilla and David's baby's reveal party, slated to air next Tuesday...the baby GIRL was already born this last week and is named "Davilla."

Hope you were being snarky about the name.

I know someone who went there and is now in veterinary school. Must be a good education.

I was the one who mentioned it in the honeymoon thread. I might be bias but I think it's a damn good education. I enjoyed my time on campus and when I had to leave all of my credits transferred. I was a rule pusher though so I'm guessing any of the Duggars or Ben would find some of the rules easier than I did.

Nope, not kidding. The baby is called Davia. I thought it was a joke at first too.

:snooty:

so manly his daughter is named after him?

I was the one who mentioned it in the honeymoon thread. I might be bias but I think it's a damn good education. I enjoyed my time on campus and when I had to leave all of my credits transferred. I was a rule pusher though so I'm guessing any of the Duggars or Ben would find some of the rules easier than I did.

I'm a bit confused about how the College works. I mean, I get that a lot of jobs on-campus are performed by students in exchange for education, so there's no need to pay for cleaners or serving staff or any of those unskilled jobs that take a significant chunk out of most universities' budgets. But how do they pay the lecturers and other instructors? The only way I can see this working is if the teachers aren't paid, but volunteer in exchange for room and board. Or does the College get grants or an endowment or something that that covers their salaries?

Sorry if this seems random, but can someone answer a couple of questions about Amy?

Why does she use the last name Duggar? I would assume that she had her father's last name, right? Or was she born out of wedlock and her mom kept her with the Duggar name.

Or did she appropriate the last name Duggar for fame?

And I see her referred to as a fame ho, on here a lot. Just curious why? I think she tries to hard to be show how spunky and different she is from the other side of the family.

Do we assumed she gets paid separately? If so, I wonder how much?

Archived