IGNORED

Project Runway - Regular and All Stars

Terrie

I would have liked to see Melissa stick around longer. too, and I frankly thought that Irina's was the worst dress on the runway last night. I just did not get how her dress tied to her cocktail inspiration at all. Maybe Jeffrey's matured a bit since Season 3.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No elimination? Seriously?

Jeffrey should have gone home. While I appreciate his calmer demeanor this season, that "dress" was a joke.

I occurred to me this morning that they may have had no elimination because the materials were so damn difficult to work with and these three contestants had all proved that they could work with unconventional materials during their season. Michael Knight won the unconventional materials challenge his season and Jeffrey placed second or maybe third with a gorgeous dress of paper. Korto made that beautiful coat of seat belts during the unconventional materials challenge in her season. Guest judge Rachel Zoe loved Korto's coat so much that she said she'd love to have it.

I liked what Victor and Christopher designed, but not so much Elena's dress. I loved that Seth Aaron used a popped rubber ball for a hat. We call popped/deflated balls "coconuts" and our dogs love to play with them. Don't ask me why we call them coconuts. My husband came up with that.

They only keep Jeffrey because he is good for ratings. It's ridiculous they didn't do an elimination. I'll keep watching but this is a crock! And Alyssa Milano seems to be getting worse - I feel a little badly for her because the addition, post-production, of the voice-overs is awful.

And ONE MORE THING (as nana used to say….), can Elena possibly try something other than a color-blocked structured plastic-y looking dress? bt;dt.

As was pointed out on last week's TLounge, they may not have eliminated a contestant because this Thursday is teams so they'd need an even number of contestants. They still could have eliminated two. Maybe they just couldn't decide to eliminate.

Well, Jeffery finally won! I frankly probably would have put Irina in the bottom group as nothing about her garment referenced the Thirties. Skirts were longer in the 30s that they'd been in the Roaring 20s, but they WERE not floor length. The shoulders on her jacket were wrong too. Padded, exaggerated shoulders (think Joan Crawford) were more from the Forties.

I wish these designers would know their fashion history better.

I have liked most of Victor's designs, but I couldn't understand where he got the idea to put fringe on the back of that jacket. (if you've not seen the show, it was a man's jacket.) Some flappers' dresses in the 20s were embellished with layers of fringe, but not men's clothing. The flapper style started to die out after the crash of '29 anyway. Fashion in the 30s was characterized by the exquisite draping of of Mme. Gres and Vionnet in Paris, the designs of Schiaperelli, Mainbocher and Chanel, skirts had fallen below the knee, and silhouettes fit the female shape in a way that clothes in the 20s did not.

Also, have these people never seen any films from the Thirties? Even if they don't know designers (and they should!) they should have at least have some knowledge of Thirties fashion from the movies.

Do they give the designers incorrect measurements for the models on purpose to create drama?

Victor's fringe was pretty awful.

Elena did something different!

• 2 weeks later...

I think PR is jumping the shark.

I cringed but dealt with the baby clothes challenge. I have settled for just rolling my eyes at all the Lifetime tie-in challenges including the last one. I even dealt with the dog challenge, the birds in the work room and the Miss Piggy challenge.

But designing clothes for a cartoon? Really? Doesn't that just require a sketch?

I'd say that Project Runway jumped the shark by the Anya (She Who Couldn't Sew Sleeves) season if not before. There's way too much product placement (really, Yoplait?) and too little time for the challenges. There is also way too much time spent on workroom drama. It seems to attract the crazies like Sustainicorn and that Russian guy with anger issues from last season, Sandro. Oh, and Helen and Kate.

I can't decide whether to watch the whole thing tonight or watch the live The Sound of Music on NBC at 8. The kids look adorable, but Carrie Underwood is no Julie Andrews.

ETA: Didn't Marge already have a Chanel suit?

I watched a little bit of TSOM tonight on NBC, but I changed the channel as I just found Carrie Underwood annoying.

This has got to be one of the weirdest challenges that PR ever had. Design a date night dress for Marge Simpson? Korto should have won. I thought Irina's dress was fucking ridiculous.

It took me a minute to realize that dude with the black stripe of duct tape on his shaved head was Anthony Ryan. Why anyone would do that to their head is beyond me.

edited for punctuation riffle

I agree that Irina's dress was ridiculous. So fluffy! Whoever compared it to a nightie was right. I think Elena should have won.

That said, this was a really dumb challenge. The character design and animation style on the Simpsons are so simple. There's no reward for adding detail to the dress.

I meant to add that Anthony Ryan had his head shaved because his cancer had returned and he's once again undergoing chemo. I do wish him well and hope he beats cancer for good this time.

I meant to add that Anthony Ryan had his head shaved because his cancer had returned and he's once again undergoing chemo. I do wish him well and hope he beats cancer for good this time.

Oh that sucks.

It doesn't explain the tape mohawk, though.

Thank you for that. Most of them looked better on Marge than they did in real life.

And I thought Jeffrey's looked the most Marge-like, ironically.

Oh Viktor, that shade of green was terrible for a gown! :roll:

Seth Aaron's was a big pile of "huh?"

Irina's was pretty, but definitely bridal. Could anyone follow the explanation of why it was tearing? Someone mentioned buckram…

Oh Viktor, that shade of green was terrible for a gown! :roll:

Seth Aaron's was a big pile of "huh?"

Irina's was pretty, but definitely bridal. Could anyone follow the explanation of why it was tearing? Someone mentioned buckram…

I think Irina had lined the dress with buckram to stiffen it. Christopher or maybe Victor had mentioned that buckram was likely to rip. It is stiff, but wasn't always; medieval buckram was not as stiff as modern day buckram is. Its usual uses are in hats, where the buckram is softened in water and then draped over a hat block, and in bookbinding. It is NOT ordinarily used in clothes.

I hated Irina's dress. It was definitely bridal although I think if a celebrity bride did wear that dress the fashion reporters would all be saying "What was she thinking?'

I'm glad that Korto won. That dress moved so beautifully!

There's where we disagree. I really didn't like Korto's dress. The colors were not my thing. I thought it looked like a 70s bridesmaid dress. Honestly, I thought they chose it because it would be easiest to manufacture for sale on QVC.

There's where we disagree. I really didn't like Korto's dress. The colors were not my thing. I thought it looked like a 70s bridesmaid dress. Honestly, I thought they chose it because it would be easiest to manufacture for sale on QVC.

Well yeah, that did play a big role in their choice. There's no way they would have chosen Victor's dress as it would have been too expensive to produce.

We're just lucky they didn't have to produce something for the Quacker Factory line!

Ugh I can't stand Lisa Robertson. She grew up SDA and sometimes on QVC you can hear her stumble over bullshit from her fundamentalist roots but she is a self-centered bitch (trust me on that one….). Seeing her on PR made me want to puke - she is so fucking fake.

Wow. That came out of nowhere. Sorry for the rant.

Korto's dress was best for Lisa but several others were prettier. Glad to see Jeffrey go, actually. I like him but they already "saved" him twice.

I don't think I'm going to miss Viktor. He just never excited me.

WTF is with Seth Aaron's glasses? Those things are ridiculous!

I totally agree about Seth Aaron's glasses.

I paid so little attention to this week's show that I didn't even realize that Korto had won again. I did know that Viktor got booted off though.

Archived