IGNORED

Amy "Duggar" and her 2 hour fraktacular

Buzzard

The ratings say it all Amy's special got 1.119 mill. and a .4.

A rerun of the Duggars earlier that night got 1.5 mill. and the recent Duggar episodes have gotten closer to 3 million viewers. The little couple episode after Amy got 2.98 million so it wasn't like it was a low viewing night. People tuned out for Amy.

We LIKE the Little Couple.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the first hour now...Amy's description of the clown room and her imitation of the laughing clown explain so much...haha.

Also if my family gave me a spider-themed birthday party (my big phobia) or something I would run for the hills screaming. And when I get dragged back I would yell at them for being terrible people.

But no one has answered the question - WHY ARE THE DUGGARS FRIENDS WITH A CLOWN? Where did they meet a clown? Also why do people become clowns? I've met more people who are afraid of clowns than those who like them.

The difference isn't that concrete. As a nanny, that's what I say. But, I worked for a family where I worked 830-5 every day and I was still called their "babysitter."

I think what term is used is partially due to what people are trying to convey and what they are used to saying. While everyone agrees that you don't call someone who comes in to watch you r kids only occasionally, what you call a full-time, in home childcare worker varies. Some people might call that person a Nanny because it sounds more upper class. Other people would avoid saying they have a nanny because they think it sounds too upper class. Most of the people I know who have a full-time child care worker don't use either term, they mostly say "Child Care -person or worker or Care Provider.

I hate, hate, hate when people think that because they've been filmed for a reality show, that they have a "talent" that everyone wants to see? It's like when Kim Kardashian refers to "photo shoots" and getting paid to appear at a club or tweet something as her "career".

Hey. That is a real career. A career from which Paris Hilton retired. :roll:

We LIKE the Little Couple.

Correction: We LOVE the Little Couple. They genuinely care about their children and make an effort to get them the help they need. They also put their children's need ahead of anything else. The duggars film their births and put baby on display within a few days for the whole world to see. Jen and Bill shut off the cameras and take away the nanny (.. lets just not go there ..) and actually bond with their new children after bringing them home. Not for a few days or a month but for six weeks !! Jen and Bill rock. And I'm thoroughly excited for the vowel renewal episode on Tuesday. (What is up with vow renewals on TLC??)

Also if my family gave me a spider-themed birthday party (my big phobia) or something I would run for the hills screaming. And when I get dragged back I would yell at them for being terrible people.

But no one has answered the question - WHY ARE THE DUGGARS FRIENDS WITH A CLOWN? Where did they meet a clown? Also why do people become clowns? I've met more people who are afraid of clowns than those who like them.

In Fundy-land there are lots of so-called entertainers available for hire for religious themed events: clowns, ventriloquists, jugglers, black-light shows, puppeteers, etc. They mostly do lame presentations that are 10% entertainment and 90% bible thumping. Stilt clown was most likely one of these types.

I would like to know why Amy does that odd hand wave from waist level. It looks so peculiar and she does it all the time and in varying circumstances, including as she walked onto the stage.

Also, why would anyone want Amy as a mentor? She is a woman in dire need of a mentor herself! She needs someone to make sure she has lots of experience before she puts all her cards on the table and heads out to audition for important people. She should be singing in bowling alleys, churches, local bars on open mike nights - not going to professional studios looking like a rank amateur who can't read music or find her starting note.

I do a lot of community theatre musicals and we have young people (way younger than Amy) who are truly talented and work really hard. A few of them will become pros one day. Amy? not so much.

I think what term is used is partially due to what people are trying to convey and what they are used to saying. While everyone agrees that you don't call someone who comes in to watch you r kids only occasionally, what you call a full-time, in home childcare worker varies. Some people might call that person a Nanny because it sounds more upper class. Other people would avoid saying they have a nanny because they think it sounds too upper class. Most of the people I know who have a full-time child care worker don't use either term, they mostly say "Child Care -person or worker or Care Provider.

The mother they interviewed in the episode actually said "babysitter", right after Amy said "nanny", so I have a feeling that's what most of her clients consider her. She said she "nannies" for around 30 families in the area (if I heard right), so I doubt any of them are more than a few hours a week, because I would consider a real nanny someone who's there almost every single day for most of the day.

I just watched the second hour (the first one sounded excruciating, decided to skip that) on YouTube and not sure who else watches some of the same 19K&C episodes on there but often the voices sound much higher which in this case, with Amy already have an obnoxiously high and perky voice, sounds extra horrible, like some Alvin &the Chipmunks shit.

There's a moment when her guitar friend, when they're on the street corner, says "you've packed all your stuff and moved here..." which was ridiculous because she hasn't! Just one little suitcase because this really isn't "A Duggar Leaves Home", really just "A Duggar Goes on a Two Week Vacation to Nashville". Judging by her instagram feed, it doesn't seem like she moved there and attempted to truly pursue a singing career outside of this quick little trip.

Also, Duggar ladies - STOP BORROWING YOUR BABY SISTERS' FLOWER HEADBANDS. Seriously, I know they all share clothing but there's no excuse for grown women to wear baby accessories.

I wonder if it has occurred to her that she could get a lot more fame just by selling out and maybe telling about some of the crazier shit the Duggars do. Not like she'd have a complete tell-all book cause she's not really on the inside, but if she just wants fame, that would at least be worth some GMA/TS interviews.

As somebody with some like actual crazy family, even if you aren't close, that stuff trickles out through the grapevine. I would assume Amy actually likes the kids too much to do it, though.

It has also occurred to me that if in a relentless pursuit of pure fame, Amy went the Anne Nicole route or something similar, that the Duggar reaction would be priceless. Like, if she finally lands a gig and it has to be topless or something. The kind of stuff people do to be famous for being famous.

(Off topic: I decided to make some Tater Tot Taco Salad to try to channel my inner Duggar as a TTC alternative and it is pretty good.)

It really bugged me that she was making a huge deal to JB/M and the brood about her "leaving to go to Nashvile" when...

1. She only visited and stayed in a hotel with her mom and grandmother.

2. Her only experience singing is in a church/choir.

3. When the record guy asked why she was there, she talked about loving to "be on stage" versus talking how singing makes her feel.

4. She knew NOTHING about the entertainment industry, such as auditions, taking criticism, how to handle forgetting your stuff during a live performance (you're never supposed to just stop, keep going)and the general protocol when working on someone else's paid' time (the studio).

5. She didn't know anything about the music industry in general and was not prepared for go to the big leagues - doesn't know how to read music, didn't take voice lessons or perform (musicals, open mic - yes they have those in AR), etc.

6. She didn't know that people sang on street corners, in subways, or anywhere someone might hear them? That people sing just for the purpose of singing? If she was so passionate about it, she'd read books or do some kind of research. She could have asked around for advice from people with professional experience.

I hate, hate, hate when people think that because they've been filmed for a reality show, that they have a "talent" that everyone wants to see? It's like when Kim Kardashian refers to "photo shoots" and getting paid to appear at a club or tweet something as her "career".

Everything said here is so true.

She doesn't leave home, she takes a two weeks trip to Nashville.

I don't blame Amy for using the Duggar name. Why not earn some extra bucks from crazy leghumpers? Many artists use stage names, so why not use the family boost here.

But what really bugs me is that she's constantly claiming that singing is her BIGGEST DREAM when in reality she wants to be famous, not a singer.

It isn't your "biggest dream evarrr" when you are even too lazy to practise ONE (!) song. It isn't your biggest dream when you have gained NO experience in 28 years.

I'm sorry, but singing with mom in Duggar church once and with 8 years old at school is not experience. I'm no theatre actress just because I played in our school's Christmas nativity scene.

To become a successful musician you have to be obsessed with what you do and you can't (and don't want) ever stop. At least that's what I have seen from full-time singers, guitarists and drummers.

It's not something that pops into your mind with pushing 30 just because your parents like your voice when you're singing in the shower.

Amy is just not passionate about music. She seems to be like "oh I like drawing sruff whilst talking on the phone - I should become an artist!!!"

Why didn't she ask the Bateseseses for any help with contacts? They ARE involved in the (TN) music business, why not ask them for some introduction? Because you just want the screen-time, screw the singing.

Those 80 minutes were a real snoozefest.

In the UK (where I worked as a nanny) a nanny is someone with qualifications ie a degree in teaching, a Childcare certificate, a nursing degree. Someone who looks after children like a parent would.

You can be a nanny and babysit but you can't be a babysitter and be considered a professional nanny.

Ie a nannied for a family live-in Mon-Fri 8am-8pm but would occasionally babysit for another family Sat nights.

However that is only Europe and the UK, the USA could be very different.

I didn't watch because, other than The Little Couple, I try to avoid TLC because most of their shows make me feel icky. From what I am reading here, Amy doesn't have a really great singing voice. Me, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. If I could somehow be granted a talent, it would be the ability to sing well. To me, people who are trained in voice and sing really, really well (opera or Broadway musical well) bring tears to my eyes with their talent. Does Amy have any musical training? What makes her think she can be a singer? Is she not self-aware? I hope this is just a special and that it does not turn into a permanent show for this woman. She is a woman, right? When I did watch 19K and she would appear, she seemed very child-like but that seems to be the case with their older kids in general.

Doesn't a nanny get paid a regular salary? They also get vacation and sick days. A nanny is like a second parent to children. I think they're also contracted just like a regular job. Babysitting can be irregular work. Btw nothing wrong with baby sitting, but it's very hard to pay bills and support yourself with just babysitting. I see babysitting as a way to make a little extra spending money.

And since the Duggars accept all people, I would love to see an openly gay person on the show. Maybe even a person wuth tattoos and piercings.

Re the bolded:

Not necessarily. I've had families that pay me by the hour, and this is the first job I've had where I get paid sick and vacation days, despite having been a nanny for almost 10 years. It really depends on the family.

An Au Pair is an ENTIRELY different concept from babysitting. I love Oxford (I will always use the Oxford comma and anyone who doesn't is wrong :D ) but there are several degrees to childcare. While a nanny and a baby-sitter and an au pair all provide childcare, there are different degrees of it.

I apologize for starting this argument :embarrassed: It's really not that important.

This is true, an au pair is someone, typically a student from another country, who takes care of the children in exchange for room/board and POSSIBLY an allowance of some form. Au pairs don't have to know anything about child care, they're typically hired for older children, and their hours fit in with their school schedule. A nanny is a career choice, a babysitter is a gig, and an au pair is a means to reach other goals.

I dont mean this to be rude to au pairs, but that's really what it is.

Yeah, I think nanny in the US is a more versatile term. It typically implies a full-time (or at least regular, such as after-school) care, but you don't need special training, nor does it need to be a career-path. I watched two girls full-time for a summer, and they referred to me as a nanny even though I was hourly and didn't get benefits. But I doubt Amt is doing what most Americans would consider nannying...

Did you see, she seems to have a new boyfriend, his instagram name is kingdillpickle (Dillon King). And already speculating whether he could be a "keeper"... :whistle: Girl, haven't you learned about not rushing it in a relationship?

Did you see, she seems to have a new boyfriend, his instagram name is kingdillpickle (Dillon King). And already speculating whether he could be a "keeper"... :whistle: Girl, haven't you learned about not rushing it in a relationship?

Haha maybe he is, you know how well Duggars and pickles go together :D

But seriously Amy. At least wait a bit to see how things go before thinking about spending your lives together. Its not like you are some kind of fundie who doesn't have a choice but to be thinking of marriage the second someone shows an interest. You have the opportunity to have relationships that are way more healthy.

Usual 19KAC opening. Why is Josh still washing cars? Shouldnt he be walking the DC mall by now? Oh yeah, and Michelle popped em all out.

I'm going to pretend that when Smuggar isn't being a douche on instagram his other FRC duties include washing his superior's cars!

She should be singing in bowling alleys, churches, local bars on open mike nights - not going to professional studios looking like a rank amateur who can't read music or find her starting note.

Exactly. She doesn't seem to be doing any of the hard work that most young performers go through before they attempt to make it in the industry. Many singers spend years (or even decades) singing at bars and clubs, weddings, funerals, county fairs, festivals, anywhere that will have them. Has she even cut a homemade demo album to sell on itunes? I only see a few videos of her on youtube, and they all include that ghastly collection of her songs from a few years ago. Amazing Grace is particularly cringey. :cry:

I still can't believe that Amy Duggar has her own TV show, yet she does not even have an album on Itunes, Bandcamp, Amazon, a personal website, Spotify, etc. If she is trying to break into the industry, recording an album and putting it out for consumption is pretty much, well...where you start. :?

Has it actually been confirmed that this special is turning into an actual show? I doubt it, since the ratings were fairly low.

She did have a website at one point. Back in the beginning of the show - at least close to the beginning of the show - she had a website with a picture of her in this blue dress and cowboy boots. It was a frilly dress that reminded me of a very watered down version of something Amy Lee (evanescence) would wear. Of course I'm pretty certain that was back when she was Amy Jordyn or Amy Jordan or whatever.

I really think she thinks life and a career will be handed to her because of her uncle. Her cousin has had everything handed to him so why shouldn't she expect the same thing?

On that note, I'm really surprised, given all the crap that was going on during her childhood years, that JB and J'chelle didn't take her in. If anything just to give her a father figure and a stable home. As screwed up as they were, they at least had a stable home, even if it was cramped. They weren't traveling all over the country - and apparently the world - like they are now. It seems she clearly wanted to be apart of that family when she was younger. And it would really help speak to their character if they took her in. Imagine the opening credits then. "I'm Michelle. And that's my wonderful husband, Jim Bob. Amy's our niece; we adopted her. Then there's our children ... And if you lost count, that's 19! Plus Amy! And Grandma lives with us, too!" Even though J'chelle didn't "birth" Amy, she would still add to the number and make it look like she has more children, which is really all she wants. Plus it would help with that whole "we're open to adoption" bullshit they keep spewing.

On that note, I'm really surprised, given all the crap that was going on during her childhood years, that JB and J'chelle didn't take her in. If anything just to give her a father figure and a stable home. As screwed up as they were, they at least had a stable home, even if it was cramped. They weren't traveling all over the country - and apparently the world - like they are now. It seems she clearly wanted to be apart of that family when she was younger. And it would really help speak to their character if they took her in. Imagine the opening credits then. "I'm Michelle. And that's my wonderful husband, Jim Bob. Amy's our niece; we adopted her. Then there's our children ... And if you lost count, that's 19! Plus Amy! And Grandma lives with us, too!" Even though J'chelle didn't "birth" Amy, she would still add to the number and make it look like she has more children, which is really all she wants. Plus it would help with that whole "we're open to adoption" bullshit they keep spewing.

I'm sure adoption is exactly what Amy, her Mom and her Dad wanted all those years.

I bet she was "a part of that family when she was younger" - like almost everyone with close living cousins.

I am so glad for Amy that they didn't. Her life would suck and she would be raising a baby at age 7 like Jana was.

Archived