IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 7

happy atheist

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting my hair cut today. I think I'm going to dye it purple and gold. Maybe get a Mohawk.

What do you think?

Doooooooo it! My hair has been purple, pink, blond, and now reddish-purple just this summer, and I cut off my shoulder length hair to super short. And I teach college students, so my students just think I'm quirky. (It helps that I bring them candy on holidays.)

I also got my nail shellac re-done this week, so I have OPI Ink shellac with A Pinch of Pepper on top so my nails look like a dark night with stars. And a pedicure, too, with sparkly teal.

I feel like I should paint my door red and call myself Elizabeth Arden!

She is petite, it doesn't surprise me at all that she was cast as a fairy in Maleficent. And I agree, Molly Weasley certainly could have taken Umbridge down a notch or two.

I loved Hunger Games, but didn't really care for the Divergent series. there were some serious issues with the style of writing that I had trouble with, including a makeout scene that was repeatedly written the same way between two of the characters..it was really weird. I felt like the there were some interesting ideas in the storyline, but that maybe they should have cooked a bit longer before publication.

I had a problem with the beginning of the Hunger Games, the scene with the rat made me sick. Can I skip over that?

I read Divergent up to the first night after the ceremony and I was like ehh. So I stopped. It was a little wordy.

There are so many books now geared toward YA's with dark themes. In class we talked about Unwound (?) that was part of a series. Parents get to unwound their kids if they don't turn out the way the parents want them to.

Tomorrow I'm starting the Life of Pi for class. Not too excited about that. After that I read a Painted House by John Grisham. Yay for being an English major. :shock:

I have found the perfect red lipstick. I was shopping at Dollar General and found a red lipgloss. It was only $1 so I bought it. It's the perfect shade of red. My fiancee even liked the way it looked. He wanted to kiss it off of my face. I can't remember the color name. The sticker came odd when I removed the packaging. It's L.A. Color's Moisturizing Lipgloss. The store had lots of other pretty colors too.

After that I read a Painted House by John Grisham.

Oh i love that book! But, i grew up in cotton country hearing stories about growing up during the Depression from my grandparents. Reading it was like hearing them talk again. i just couldn't help loving it. :lol:

General consensus in the Potter fandom was that Umbridge suffered some form of assault at the hands of the herd but don't forget she came back to be even more evil than before and could unleash a whole load of hell upon the centaurs with her position in the Ministry so it looks unlikely to have been as serious as a sexual assualt.

Sex is sort of skirted over a lot in HP, it is widely known that Dumbledore was gay but very little indication until the end of Deathly Hallows, you have a boarding school with pupils up to the age of 18, are you telling me there was nothing going on (well Mrs Weasley alludes to it in Goblet of Fire talking about the Fat Lady admonishing her after sneaking out late at night with Arthur) also what do they do in the case of teen pregnancy? Marriages in the wizard world appear to happen quite young in the case of Lily & James.

Me too, I love those books! I wonder how old my kids would have to be before I can read it to them, because I'm totally doing that.

P.s., has anyone read the new book by j.k. Rowling? Is it any good?

That novel she released the unexpected stranger or something? I started it and could not get into it. Gave up.

That novel she released the unexpected stranger or something? I started it and could not get into it. Gave up.

I read the first one she wrote as Robert Galbraith - "The Cuckoo's Calling" and I enjoyed it a lot. But I really like mysteries and detective fiction. However, if you're expecting YA fantasy, it's for sure isn't that. I've got the second one on reserve at the Library.

I have found the perfect red lipstick. I was shopping at Dollar General and found a red lipgloss. It was only $1 so I bought it. It's the perfect shade of red. My fiancee even liked the way it looked. He wanted to kiss it off of my face. I can't remember the color name. The sticker came odd when I removed the packaging. It's L.A. Color's Moisturizing Lipgloss. The store had lots of other pretty colors too.

You and your fiancee are really cute. Between this and you meeting when he helped you up after you fell and scraped your knee at the Space & Rocket Center, it's cuteness overload.

:romance-lovegoddess:

Lucky! Reds are so difficult, aren't they. Lipglosses are more flattering in red that straight lipstick, I think.

General consensus in the Potter fandom was that Umbridge suffered some form of assault at the hands of the herd but don't forget she came back to be even more evil than before and could unleash a whole load of hell upon the centaurs with her position in the Ministry so it looks unlikely to have been as serious as a sexual assualt.

Sex is sort of skirted over a lot in HP, it is widely known that Dumbledore was gay but very little indication until the end of Deathly Hallows, you have a boarding school with pupils up to the age of 18, are you telling me there was nothing going on (well Mrs Weasley alludes to it in Goblet of Fire talking about the Fat Lady admonishing her after sneaking out late at night with Arthur) also what do they do in the case of teen pregnancy? Marriages in the wizard world appear to happen quite young in the case of Lily & James.

The school did have controls to keep the boys and girls apart, the boys couldn't get into the girls dormitory but the girls were considered more trustworthy and could get into the boys. And there was also the threat of getting caught out of the dormitories at night. But I'm sure stuff like Molly and Arthur did happen, so I'm guessing that while it wasn't talked about that they had some form of birth control available, whether regular Muggle bc pills or a magical potion. But in terms of teen pregnancy and early marriage, it probably mirrors Muggle society- some people get married young, others wait; some teens get pregnant and have the baby while others terminate. There might have been a skew towards early marriages if people wanted to marry within the wizarding community they would probably hook up at school and marry their high school sweet-heart.

The school did have controls to keep the boys and girls apart, the boys couldn't get into the girls dormitory but the girls were considered more trustworthy and could get into the boys. And there was also the threat of getting caught out of the dormitories at night. But I'm sure stuff like Molly and Arthur did happen, so I'm guessing that while it wasn't talked about that they had some form of birth control available, whether regular Muggle bc pills or a magical potion. But in terms of teen pregnancy and early marriage, it probably mirrors Muggle society- some people get married young, others wait; some teens get pregnant and have the baby while others terminate. There might have been a skew towards early marriages if people wanted to marry within the wizarding community they would probably hook up at school and marry their high school sweet-heart.

Didn't the stairs turn into a slide when Harry and Ron tried to go up there? I never thought about the sex thing. I figured they all just snogged when they snuck out. I guess I'm naive. :D

It is supposed to be a bit more innocent in that respect. When asked in an interview, JKR said that teen pregnancies etc weren't really Harry's world and I agree. It's still fantasy, it doesn't have to be like real life in all aspects imo.

Lucky! Reds are so difficult, aren't they. Lipglosses are more flattering in red that straight lipstick, I think.

I think that tends to be even more true as one gets older. I love a bold, red lipstick, but I'm in my mid-thirties now, and many of my lipsticks are starting to do this thing where they bleed outside my lips if I apply them too thickly and if I don't use a lipliner.

I've recently gotten into using the lip 'crayons' that you can find at some stores. Right now, I'm using a bright red one from the brand Flower. It costs a bit more, about $7 at Wal-Mart, but it's a pretty matte red that is flattering and doesn't bleed. They also carry it in pink and neutral.

Red lipglosses give a more youthful look, I think, and another thing I like to do is to mix part of a dried out tube of red with coconut oil and use it on my lips. They even have containers and gloss tubes that you can buy in bulk on ebay to help with storing it.

I had a problem with the beginning of the Hunger Games, the scene with the rat made me sick. Can I skip over that?

I read Divergent up to the first night after the ceremony and I was like ehh. So I stopped. It was a little wordy.

There are so many books now geared toward YA's with dark themes. In class we talked about Unwound (?) that was part of a series. Parents get to unwound their kids if they don't turn out the way the parents want them to.

Tomorrow I'm starting the Life of Pi for class. Not too excited about that. After that I read a Painted House by John Grisham. Yay for being an English major. :shock:

Yes, you can definitely skip the rat scene. :D There's a whole lot more eating scenes with Katniss in all three of the books. Disgusting food like rodents and wild dogs for District 12, rich, delicious foods whenever she's doing anything with the Capital, and bland foods where she grumps about wanting better quality and more of it in District 13. Yes, The Hunger Games trilogy is nothing if not one continuous analysis of food. :lol:

The sorting ceremony in Divergent reminded me a lot of the one in Harry Potter, only the girl thinks she's getting into Gryffindor and the house really turns out to be more like Slytherin. Or something. :lol:

I've never read Unwound, I'll have to check that out. Life of Pi and Painted House actually sound pretty good, but then, I would prefer to be an English major right now if I could. Those classes were the most fun. I'm currently geared toward sciences, and it's a bit overwhelming how much I still have to learn to get into my nursing program.

I had a conversation with people about how Harry Potter characters tend to marry their high school sweetheart or die alone. Kinda depressing.

The Casual Vacancy? yeah, I couldn't get into that one. Got to page 7 and was like, "Ugh this Brry character isn't magical. Lol Barry rhymes with Harry." I liked The Cuckoo's Calling though. I got sidetracked from it because of school, and now I have no idea where I put it and want to finish it.

Ooh, my current favorite is Revlon Balm Stain (used to be called Just Bitten, but I noticed they dropped that from the store displays). I have several colors, but Romantic and Adore are the best on me. the color lasts for a long time, too.

Yes, you can definitely skip the rat scene. :D There's a whole lot more eating scenes with Katniss in all three of the books. Disgusting food like rodents and wild dogs for District 12, rich, delicious foods whenever she's doing anything with the Capital, and bland foods where she grumps about wanting better quality and more of it in District 13. Yes, The Hunger Games trilogy is nothing if not one continuous analysis of food. :lol:

The sorting ceremony in Divergent reminded me a lot of the one in Harry Potter, only the girl thinks she's getting into Gryffindor and the house really turns out to be more like Slytherin. Or something. :lol:

I've never read Unwound, I'll have to check that out. Life of Pi and Painted House actually sound pretty good, but then, I would prefer to be an English major right now if I could. Those classes were the most fun. I'm currently geared toward sciences, and it's a bit overwhelming how much I still have to learn to get into my nursing program.

Thank you. I may have have to pick up the Hunger Games again.

I enjoy English, actually literature. I have a grammar class right now but it is more focused on literacy. We read an article this week about applying The Hunger Games across curriculum. Of course reading, have math students math out the arena, figure the angles of the arrows, science people doing food. It was interesting. I like that aspect of reading how a book could be applied in so many ways depending on how you want to read the book.

I am a big litercy advocate. If a person doesn't know how to read and interpret what they are reading they can't do math, science, history. I think everyone should read. :D :D

Just have to say: Thank you so much for mentioning Unwind! I read that years ago (LOVED IT) and I wanted to recommend it to my younger sister last week as we have similar taste in books but I could not remember what it was called for the life of me :lol:

Also: Has anyone else thought about the one kid in that book (forgot his name) who was being raised to be unwound as a tithe? Almost sounds like something the Duggars would do :dance:

You and your fiancee are really cute. Between this and you meeting when he helped you up after you fell and scraped your knee at the Space & Rocket Center, it's cuteness overload.

:romance-lovegoddess:

Thanks.

Speaking of Harry Potter, which Duggar kids would be in which Hogwarts houses?

I have a few:

Jessa would be a Slytherin. Not because Slytherins are "evil", but because out of all the Duggar kids, Jessa seems the most ambitious and resourceful, as well as one of the ones more devoted to the pure Duggar cause.

Jill and Jana are definitely Hufflepuffs: hardworking, caring, loyal, and a bit less showy than their other sisters.

Jinger would probably be a Ravenclaw, since she's quite artistic and can be witty/snarky when the mood strikes her.

Speaking of Harry Potter, which Duggar kids would be in which Hogwarts houses?

I have a few:

Jessa would be a Slytherin. Not because Slytherins are "evil", but because out of all the Duggar kids, Jessa seems the most ambitious and resourceful, as well as one of the ones more devoted to the pure Duggar cause.

Jill and Jana are definitely Hufflepuffs: hardworking, caring, loyal, and a bit less showy than their other sisters.

Jinger would probably be a Ravenclaw, since she's quite artistic and can be witty/snarky when the mood strikes her.

Interesting question :)

Hannie would definitely be a Gryffindor, brave, bold but also a bit reckless at times.

Jackson belongs in Hufflepuff. He seems like a sweet kid, but he does not know what is going on half of the time, especially compared to Hannie. I would also put John and Joe there.

Jed and Jer seem quiet, smart and creative, definitely Ravenclaws, as well as Josiah.

Josh would probably think of himself as a Gryffindor but would end up in Slytherin.

I agree with your choices.

Hannie would definitely be a Gryffindor, brave, bold but also a bit reckless at times.

Jackson belongs in Hufflepuff. He seems like a sweet kid, but he does not know what is going on half of the time, especially compared to Hannie. I would also put John and Joe there.

Jed and Jer seem quiet, smart and creative, definitely Ravenclaws, as well as Josiah.

Josh would probably think of himself as a Gryffindor but would end up in Slytherin.

I agree with all of these. What houses would Michelle and Boob be in? And Amy, Ben, and Derick?

I don't see J'chelle or Boob as particularly ambitious, daring, loyal/hardworking, or bright. Same with Amy and Ben. Ben would go the same route as Josh, I think. Thinks of himself as really grand and brave doing the lord's work, but would end up in Slytherin because his views on those who have different religious beliefs are probably similar to Slytherins being obsessed with pureblood.

Maybe J'chelle and Boob would be Slytherin too, since they are ambitious in terms of having a gazillion children and fame. Though, Gilderoy Lockheart sought fame too and he was Hufflepuff, I believe.

The Casual Vacancy? yeah, I couldn't get into that one. Got to page 7 and was like, "Ugh this Brry character isn't magical. Lol Barry rhymes with Harry." I liked The Cuckoo's Calling though. I got sidetracked from it because of school, and now I have no idea where I put it and want to finish it.

Following up with this to urge you to finish the cuckoo's calling! The books written by Robert Galbraith are sooo much more fun than the Casual Vacancy. The Silkworm ups the ante a LOT and it gets really dark. It was such a thrill to read.

Archived