IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 7

happy atheist

Something is wrong with it because it doesn't work. It's like spanking kids for being hitting each other; it might make you feel like you're doing something, but it won't make them hit each other less. Well in this case it doesn't hurt me that you say to stop, but it's just going to make me say retard even more.

I've explained a few times why I say "retarded".

I'm not laughing at me saying "retarded", I was laughing at your responses.

Well, seeing as there's no way in hell I'm going to let people get away with using slurs, I will keep at it until they stop using it.

Why do you use a word considered by many to be a slur when there are perfectly suitable alternatives? Why do you think you know better than the house of reps and the President when it comes to medical terms? And most importantly, do you have the guts to look a special needs child in the eye, and call them retarded?

Actually, I really do hope you someday have a special needs child. I think that's what it will take for you to see how hateful the term is.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, seeing as there's no way in hell I'm going to let people get away with using slurs, I will keep at it until they stop using it.

Why do you use a word considered by many to be a slur when there are perfectly suitable alternatives? Why do you think you know better than the house of reps and the President when it comes to medical terms? And most importantly, do you have the guts to look a special needs child in the eye, and call them retarded?

Actually, I really do hope you someday have a special needs child. I think that's what it will take for you to see how hateful the term is.

It's just silly that you think you are "not letting people get away" with saying words that you do like. You can't make them stop and you can't punish them, all you can do is keep telling them to stop, but that isn't working. I would have just said "retarded" once in this entire thread, but now I've said it like a hundred times as a result of what you're doing. Also, you're getting really repetitive.

When I get pregnant I'll get all the tests done, and if it's a fetard (retarded fetus), then I'll abort that thang.

It's just silly that you think you are "not letting people get away" with saying words that you do like. You can't make them stop and you can't punish them, all you can do is keep telling them to stop, but that isn't working. I would have just said "retarded" once in this entire thread, but now I've said it like a hundred times as a result of what you're doing. Also, you're getting really repetitive.

When I get pregnant I'll get all the tests done, and if it's a fetard (retarded fetus), then I'll abort that thang.

If a friend of mine insisted on using slurs, they would no longer be a friend of mine. I think that is true for most people.

There's actually a solution, for my "repetition." You admit that "retarded" is a slur, you apologize. Simple as s'mores.

Sure, SOME special needs can be detected via ultra-sound, but what about, say, autism? That's actually what my sister has. It usually isn't detected until kindergarden or later.

I'll ask again. Why do you use a word considered by many to be a slur when there are perfectly suitable alternatives? Why do you think you know better than the house of reps and the President when it comes to medical terms? And most importantly, do you have the guts to look a special needs child in the eye, and call them retarded?

There seems to be something off about the whole Dauer family. Like they are trying too hard or something. It's just off. The mom and the mom, she takes eleventy-hundred pictures everytime they walk outside.

On the surface the family looks like they would question the kool-aide but apparently they are swimming in it- in shorts, tanks and a son who is an arm slut. (My favorite phrase right now)

The Dauers seem to be on the liberal end of ATI. They seem to be among the ones who definitely pick and choose what they will follow. Either that or that have very selective memories and hearing.

The Dauers seem to be on the liberal end of ATI. They seem to be among the ones who definitely pick and choose what they will follow. Either that or that have very selective memories and hearing.

Maybe they get all worked up at the "famous" people they get to meet. They are liberal compared to the Duggars.

Would JB and DQ let one of their daughters court a person that liberal :)

But Derrick squeaked by...

If a friend of mine insisted on using slurs, they would no longer be a friend of mine. I think that is true for most people.

There's actually a solution, for my "repetition." You admit that "retarded" is a slur, you apologize. Simple as s'mores.

Sure, SOME special needs can be detected via ultra-sound, but what about, say, autism? That's actually what my sister has. It usually isn't detected until kindergarden or later.

I'll ask again. Why do you use a word considered by many to be a slur when there are perfectly suitable alternatives? Why do you think you know better than the house of reps and the President when it comes to medical terms? And most importantly, do you have the guts to look a special needs child in the eye, and call them retarded?

If you think I'll apologise, you're delusional.

If I had a retarded child and I loved it (I don't think I would), then I'd buy it a shirt that says "cute, but retarded", and teach it to laugh every time it hears the word "retarded".

Let's say you have a retarded child and you teach it that "retarded" is a horribly offensive word that mean people say because they think that you're not good, and it's so horrific that if someone says it then the child can't handle it on their own and must go to a family member to help them get over the pain and assure them that that person was bad.

Now, who do you think will have the happier retard?

By the way, not everyone with autism is retarded, some are even really smart.

If you think I'll apologise, you're delusional.

If I had a retarded child and I loved it (I don't think I would), then I'd buy it a shirt that says "cute, but retarded", and teach it to laugh every time it hears the word "retarded".

Let's say you have a retarded child and you teach it that "retarded" is a horribly offensive word that mean people say because they think that you're not good, and it's so horrific that if someone says it then the child can't handle it on their own and must go to a family member to help them get over the pain and assure them that that person was bad.

Now, who do you think will have the happier retard?

By the way, not everyone with autism is retarded, some are even really smart.

IF you loved it??????????????????????????????????????????????? Listen, dude. My sister is autistic (of course, you say that SOME of them are smart. How do you define "retarded" anyway?) and she has many social ticks. But you know what? She's my sister. I love her no matter what. If you think that there is any possibility that you could somehow NOT love any child you have, you shouldn't have kids.

You apparently think that people with special needs are not people at all, just mindless drones who deserve no respect, and should be made to laugh at slurs, just so people (like you) can continue to use it (for some reason...you haven't explained). If you had a gay child, would you teach him or her to laugh if they heard the terms "faggot" or "lezzie", just so they could be "happy", or would you try and get people to STOP using those terms?

Please, please, PLEASE meet someone with special needs, or a special ed teacher. They will show you that people will special needs are human beings too: human beings with more challenges than most, but human beings with hopes and dreams none the less.

Why do you use a word considered by many to be a slur when there are perfectly suitable alternatives? Why do you think you know better than the house of reps and the President when it comes to medical terms? And most importantly, do you have the guts to look a special needs child in the eye, and call them retarded? Why will you not apologize for using a term that hurts others?

If I had a gay child, let's call him David :lol: , I would teach him to laugh every time he heard the word "faggot". It's better than getting upset about it.

I'd say, "David, when someone calls you a faggot, it says something about them, not about you. So why in the world should you get offended?"

Do you think it's preferable to tell little David that people who say "faggot" are being really offensive, and they hate him because of who he is, and there are a lot of people like this who hate him and can hurt him with that horrible word?

I'm glad you like your sister, but I just don't think I could love a retard. They seem like such a burden that doesn't go away until it dies or you die.

I think her username should be "It'sFunToTroll" because she is deliberately trying to get a rise out of everyone here.

Just block her.

Where's the setting to block someone? Clearly she has zero intention of shutting the fuck up any time soon.

There seems to be something off about the whole Dauer family. Like they are trying too hard or something. It's just off. The mom and the mom, she takes eleventy-hundred pictures everytime they walk outside.

On the surface the family looks like they would question the kool-aide but apparently they are swimming in it- in shorts, tanks and a son who is an arm slut. (My favorite phrase right now)

Yes the Dauers do seem SUPER ENTHUSIASTIC :lol: while at the same time fashionable, it's not something that's often combined.

She even posted a picture of Cooper's very first (!) ATI badge from way back in '94 when he was "5 months old". She put a comment that he was a "baby buddy" of someone who commented that was their first year too, but it ended up they were like, 12 at the time.

:gasp of fresh air:

It's really TMI.

Moms usually make blogs for these things, not public facebook albums.

Makes me wonder how deep they were into Vision Forum baloney, if they are so into ATI. Also, if they've been in ATI for 10 years why are they suddenly on the radar and ALL OVER the radar? Strange. Is it just because of the photos of Cooper/Jinger? Have they always been royalty and we outsiders just never knew?

**Note to milkncookies76 and It'sFunToRun... are you guys trying to quote til the first box almost disappears? :shifty-kitty: I've seen it done before, but not about anything controversial. It was by a bunch of fundie kids on an old forum called Mennodiscuss.

Where's the setting to block someone? Clearly she has zero intention of shutting the fuck up any time soon.

Go to your User Control Panel, click the Friends & Foes tab, click Manage Foes and then add her username.

Also, hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Go to your User Control Panel, click the Friends & Foes tab, click Manage Foes and then add her username.

Also, hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I believe you can also just click on the user name to get their posting history and then from there click 'add foe'. It's been awhile since I used it though (back in the great CnD debate about his confederate apologetics; was that before the big board change?), so it might have changed.

I believe you can also just click on the user name to get their posting history and then from there click 'add foe'. It's been awhile since I used it though (back in the great CnD debate about his confederate apologetics; was that before the big board change?), so it might have changed.

I hadn't noticed that feature before but I just checked and this method also works. And it's faster too. Do it that way.

Well, the word "retarded" being deemed offensive is purely cultural. We are not born thinking "retarded" is a bad word. Plus, the meanings of words change over time. For instance, "gay" means "homosexual" today but fifty years ago or more it was more commonly a synonym for "happy."

That being said, if someone finds a word offensive and brings that up, one should respect their feelings on the matter if only to keep civil, thoughtful discussion civil.

Well, the word "retarded" being deemed offensive is purely cultural. We are not born thinking "retarded" is a bad word. Plus, the meanings of words change over time. For instance, "gay" means "homosexual" today but fifty years ago or more it was more commonly a synonym for "happy."

That being said, if someone finds a word offensive and brings that up, one should respect their feelings on the matter if only to keep civil, thoughtful discussion civil.

I disagree. Yes, the word technically only means slow or late, and I can easily imagine a francophone using it accidentally to refer to someone who's running late (in French the phrase "en retard" literally means "late"). So to say the Duggars are retarded because they're running on "Duggar time" wouldn't be an inherently offensive expression because it is an accurate use of meaning 1a (ie the original meaning, but could easily be misunderstood as the chief meaning) in the OED: "Held back or in check; hindered, impeded; delayed, deferred." I would consider this an ill-advised use of the word as it could so easily be misinterpreted, but in and of itself it's not offensive.

However, using the word "retarded" to mean "stupid" is offensive because that meaning is only reached through its application to people with intellectual disabilities. And here is where I would argue that, yes, it's cultural, but cultural context matters. It is because we as a society look down upon people with disabilities that what was once a perfectly valid term has become a slur. And here is also where I would argue that "retarded" is in a different position than words like "dumb", which have arguably been divorced from their original meaning and are unlikely to offend (though if they do, I would agree that the speaker should take that into consideration and respond respectfully), because it is still used as a slur, and its relationship to disabilities is well-understood by most people.

You are truly naive if you think you have conplete control over anything like that. There are a few things that might be detected before birth via ultrasound. genetic testing isn't an automatic thing either. Many if not most cases of developmental delay would not be apparent before birth. Many times birth injuries cause them. Not to mention the cases of injuries such as traumatic brain injury or lack of oxygen. Which can happen to anyone at any time. Get in a nasty car accident and it could be you. Life has no guarantees so treat people right cause you might need some compassion someday too.

If I had a gay child, let's call him David :lol: , I would teach him to laugh every time he heard the word "faggot". It's better than getting upset about it.

I'd say, "David, when someone calls you a faggot, it says something about them, not about you. So why in the world should you get offended?"

Do you think it's preferable to tell little David that people who say "faggot" are being really offensive, and they hate him because of who he is, and there are a lot of people like this who hate him and can hurt him with that horrible word?

I'm glad you like your sister, but I just don't think I could love a retard. They seem like such a burden that doesn't go away until it dies or you die.

It's pretty hard to laugh when you're being slammed into lockers, sneered at, being excluded, being screamed at, having things thrown at you etc, all of which are things which often accompany the term "faggot." I think those things would make him miserable, regardless of what they called him. Laughing at someone only goes so far. Why do you still use the term "retard" or "retarded" when there are perfectly suitable alternatives?

Like momof2treasures said, we're all just one car accident away from being, what you refer to as "retards." How would you feel if a drunk driver crashed into you, leaving you mute and wheelchair bound for the rest of your life, and your family now considered you a "burden" and didn't think they could love you?

I don't just "like" my sister. I LOVE her. Unconditional love. It's a good thing.

What we have here though is I believe a 13 year old in an adult body. Rebellion and getting your goat are the top priorities. I think ignoring the baiting is the way to go. That's how I perceive it as deliberate baiting just to get your blood pressure up and see how high you'll spin. I have an acquaintance who at 46 still does that to people. Tell her it's ecologically sound to recycle and she'll go get her recycling and dump it in the garbage can just see the reactions. This one just wants to watch people react also.

I'm getting my hair cut today. I think I'm going to dye it purple and gold. Maybe get a Mohawk.

What do you think?

You know, SuffolkNWhat, that is so true. Voldemort did say that he values magical blood, and he did allow Hogwarts to remain open after he killed a bunch of people and took over so that magic-using children could continue to be educated. He's just a big old sweetie. :lol:

Makes me want to consider giving him an alternative character interpretation. :laughing-rolling:

It's pretty hard to laugh when you're being slammed into lockers, sneered at, being excluded, being screamed at, having things thrown at you etc, all of which are things which often accompany the term "faggot." I think those things would make him miserable, regardless of what they called him. Laughing at someone only goes so far. Why do you still use the term "retard" or "retarded" when there are perfectly suitable alternatives?

Like momof2treasures said, we're all just one car accident away from being, what you refer to as "retards." How would you feel if a drunk driver crashed into you, leaving you mute and wheelchair bound for the rest of your life, and your family now considered you a "burden" and didn't think they could love you?

I don't just "like" my sister. I LOVE her. Unconditional love. It's a good thing.

If I were mute and wheelchair bound, that wouldn't make me retarded. I might take take it like Stephen Hawkins ng and try to go on with my life, or I might take it like the girl from Million Dollar Baby and get a friend to pull the plug, I don't know. If an accident left me retarded, then I'd be too stupid to know what's going on after the fact, but I really should sign one of those living will things saying to put me down if I become a 'tard.

If I had a healthy kid and they were killed in a car wreck, I wouldn't put theire body in wheelchair and continue caring for it. I would be really really sad, but the kid is dead. To me a retard is a warm corpse that shits, drools, and makes weird groaning noises while slapping its leg.

Archived