IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 7

happy atheist

Just have to say: Thank you so much for mentioning Unwind! I read that years ago (LOVED IT) and I wanted to recommend it to my younger sister last week as we have similar taste in books but I could not remember what it was called for the life of me :lol:

Also: Has anyone else thought about the one kid in that book (forgot his name) who was being raised to be unwound as a tithe? Almost sounds like something the Duggars would do :dance:

YES! I'm reading this book at the moment, and when I encountered Lev my first thought was, "Dude, this kid was brought up fundie." :P

As for JKR's books, I really enjoyed The Casual Vacancy, because I do love social commentary books (and I always loved the social commentary in the HP books), but I think maybe you have to be British to really appreciate the culture behind the story. I also enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling and bought The Silkworm but haven't had a chance to read it yet as my library book pile is two feet high.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all of these. What houses would Michelle and Boob be in? And Amy, Ben, and Derick?

I don't see J'chelle or Boob as particularly ambitious, daring, loyal/hardworking, or bright. Same with Amy and Ben. Ben would go the same route as Josh, I think. Thinks of himself as really grand and brave doing the lord's work, but would end up in Slytherin because his views on those who have different religious beliefs are probably similar to Slytherins being obsessed with pureblood.

Maybe J'chelle and Boob would be Slytherin too, since they are ambitious in terms of having a gazillion children and fame. Though, Gilderoy Lockheart sought fame too and he was Hufflepuff, I believe.

I also couldn't think of a good house for them, yeah, maybe Slytherin in terms of fame and image (and fortune).

Are you sure about Lockhart? I have to re-read the second book, but since he was such a coward and liar, Hufflepuff doesn't seem right. JKR said that he's her only character that was written after a real-life acquaintance (I just know I'm spelling this wrong) but that she doesn't feel guilty because he would never recognize himself and would probably tell everyone Dumbledore was written after him :lol:

I also couldn't think of a good house for them, yeah, maybe Slytherin in terms of fame and image (and fortune).

Are you sure about Lockhart? I have to re-read the second book, but since he was such a coward and liar, Hufflepuff doesn't seem right. JKR said that he's her only character that was written after a real-life acquaintance (I just know I'm spelling this wrong) but that she doesn't feel guilty because he would never recognize himself and would probably tell everyone Dumbledore was written after him :lol:

My bad, Lockheart was in Ravenclaw :? How did that happen? :wtf:

In my Harry Duggar fanfic, Josh would totally be a squib.

Nah The Duggars would probably be like the Gaunts and homeschool the kids. Wouldn't want their pure little angels getting into contact with unpure children.

:text-offtopic:

Actually, I really do hope you someday have a special needs child. I think that's what it will take for you to see how hateful the term is.

I'm not in to your retard-discussion and I don't want to be. But I think wishing somebody a special needs child is crossing a line. I think you must be an extremely hateful person to wish such a thing to a child and a parent. Most people, especially people who experienced a special needs child in their surroundings, would never hand out illnesses or handicaps as a punishment.

I love my autistic (very smart) son to pieces, I would never see him as a punishment, nor a live experience. I would not wish his pain on my worst enemies, nor their innocent children.

I think you should really reconsider your words, because I find you offence so very much worse then the use of o dumb slur.

:twocents-mytwocents:

In my Harry Duggar fanfic, Josh would totally be a squib.

I imagine him as Dudley (aka Roast Beefy O' Weefy for those of you who have watched and enjoyed Wizard People, Dear Reader).

:text-offtopic:

I'm not in to your retard-discussion and I don't want to be. But I think wishing somebody a special needs child is crossing a line. I think you must be an extremely hateful person to wish such a thing to a child and a parent. Most people, especially people who experienced a special needs child in their surroundings, would never hand out illnesses or handicaps as a punishment.

I love my autistic (very smart) son to pieces, I would never see him as a punishment, nor a live experience. I would not wish his pain on my worst enemies, nor their innocent children.

I think you should really reconsider your words, because I find you offence so very much worse then the use of o dumb slur.

:twocents-mytwocents:

ItsFunToRun was obviously trying to provoke her and succeeded. She also said multiple times that she has personal experience with this subject, so I think the chances are slim to none that she sees a disabled child as a punishment. Is it really worth it to dig this up again?

ItsFunToRun was obviously trying to provoke her and succeeded. She also said multiple times that she has personal experience with this subject, so I think the chances are slim to none that she sees a disabled child as a punishment. Is it really worth it to dig this up again?

Yes, it was worth it, because it hurt me badly and everyone seemed to read past it. You don't wish terrible things to other people, even when provoked. You just don't. It's horrible. I just couldn't let that one go and I needed to get it of my chest.

Now we can go on with Harry Potter and Voddie.

I imagine him as Dudley (aka Roast Beefy O' Weefy for those of you who have watched and enjoyed Wizard People, Dear Reader).

I LOVE WP,DR!

WAY better than the real movie :) My fiance and I always start our HP marathons with the WP,DR version :)

Here's my attempt to diffuse this situation.

Harry Potter fanfiction. Three words.

"Dobby stretches, sir!"

::sits back and waits to see who gets the reference::

That is so wrong. Off to the under-the-stairs prayer closet with you!

God help me, now I can't get the idea of a Potter/Duggar mashup fanfic out of my head. Jim Bob Dimbulbadore, Michellva McGonagall...oh, it's too grotesque to contemplate.

"Dobby stretches, sir!"

I know enough about fanfic to have an excellent idea what that means.

Tip of the hat to you, you delightful perv.

"Dobby stretches, sir!"

I'll go you one better:

“YOU ARE NOT FIT TO BE THE PRINCIPAL ANY LONGER!†yelled Rumbridge. “YOU ARE TOO OLD AND YOUR ALZHEIMERS IS DANGEROUS! YOU MUST RETRY OR VOLDEMORT WILL KILL YOUR STUDENTS!â€

Also:

"Then……….. I jumped sexily in2 da Pensive"

“Very well.†Dumbledore said angrily. “Butt we cannot do this. We can’t close the school. There is only one person who is capable of killing Voldemort and she is in the school. And her name is…………………………………………………………………..Enony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way.†-

So legendarily bad, it's awesome. :D

I'll go you one better:

“YOU ARE NOT FIT TO BE THE PRINCIPAL ANY LONGER!†yelled Rumbridge. “YOU ARE TOO OLD AND YOUR ALZHEIMERS IS DANGEROUS! YOU MUST RETRY OR VOLDEMORT WILL KILL YOUR STUDENTS!â€

Also:

“Very well.†Dumbledore said angrily. “Butt we cannot do this. We can’t close the school. There is only one person who is capable of killing Voldemort and she is in the school. And her name is…………………………………………………………………..Enony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way.†-

I have not read that Dobby one, but I think I know where it's going. And Oh, "My Immortal"...so amazingly bad.

I know I'm kinda late for the nail polish train, but I went to my nail salon yesterday and got the most delicious shade of pink. What can I say except when I look at my hands it's like seeing ten tiny vaginas and it's just so gorgeous. Then on top of that there's a glittery coat.

If I were a nail polish manufacturer, I would combine the two together into one polish and name the color "glittery vagina". I wonder if anyone would buy a nail polish called "glittery vagina". The Duggars wouldn't, but it would be a fun gift idea :D

Do not google "Dobby stretches, sir!" Nonononononono. So wrong.

Don't tell me what to do!!! Brb.

Okay, who's got the brain bleach? :lol:

Do not google "Dobby stretches, sir!" Nonononononono. So wrong.

But… but… how else was I to know what it meant? :lol:

And I can now say, with no small degree of smugness, that whatever that was I just read is the closest I have come to reading (or watching) anything Potterish… (just not my thing)

But I will have to go read something else now, just for a palate cleanser...

I would like to know... if the Dursley's had loved and cared for Harry as their own, what kind of person would he have been? Would he have become Malfoy's best friend instead of Ron's? Would he have been a scrawny mini Dudley?

And if they had cared for Harry as their own, but kept the magic stuff away, how would Harry have reacted to the Dursley's knowing all this time and not telling him? Would the shock have been greater?

Just things I wonder

I'll go you one better:

Also:

My favourite quotes from that are:

(While getting dressed she looks out the window) "Loopin was masticating!"

"He put his thingy in my you-know-what and we did it"

Archived