IGNORED

What SAHDs Do All Day

GeoBQn

Cheryl gives a list of 22 things her 22-year-old daughter Emily does as a SAHD. As you can guess, none of these things are incompatible with having a job or going to college. In some cases, they sound like things she SHOULD be getting paid for, like teaching preschool or violin lessons, but it sounds like she is choosing not to get financially compensated. The one thing she is getting paid for is cleaning an elderly couple's house once a month.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2014/05/stay-at-home-daughter-ways-she-spends.html

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blog post sounds like a subtle way to promote her daughter to SAHS (or their mothers) who are looking for a girl to court.

The blog post sounds like a subtle way to promote her daughter to SAHS (or their mothers) who are looking for a girl to court.

Emily sounds boring too. Is there an un-tasteful way to arrange flowers in a vase?

Cheese pumpkin logs sounds gross.

Emily was recently offered a lucrative position at a local music store teaching violin a couple of days a week, but after prayerfully considering the proposal, she rejected the offer because it would hinder her from being able to serve mothers by caring for their children when the need arises.

In other words we need her to cook, clean and take care of her family and taking a position at a music store would interfere with that. I'm sure she would be able to babysit and work at the same time.

She's online? They seem less fundie than others.

Emily was recently offered a lucrative position at a local music store teaching violin a couple of days a week, but after prayerfully considering the proposal, she rejected the offer because it would hinder her from being able to serve mothers by caring for their children when the need arises.

In other words we need her to cook, clean and take care of her family and taking a position at a music store would interfere with that. I'm sure she would be able to babysit and work at the same time.

Maybe she meant cream cheese pumpkin log? Like with cream cheese frosting? I hope so.

I had the same thought as you - she was needed at home and so could not take on a "lucrative position" out in the world.

Emily sounds boring too. Is there an un-tasteful way to arrange flowers in a vase?

I don't think she's been encouraged to be "fun", but submissive, gentle and obediant. It sounds like a boring life.

Grr! I'm sure teaching violin a couple of days a week would really hinder her baby watchin'!

She could've made decent money doing lessons. When I was in college almost 20 years ago, a friend of mine (sinful divorced mom with 2 sons) worked part-time teaching piano lessons. She earned $12 an hour then and was able to support her boys and go to nursing school. Too bad Emily doesn't have that option.

She plays "fiddle" and teaches violin ;) to several students.

Why is this in quotation marks and what is with the wink face? If they weren't fundies I would think she was trying to make an innuendo... I am very confused right now.

Seriously, she's teaching violin to people for free? Musicians (trained and amateur) already get stiffed and paid peanuts, and people think that's okay. This chick is just perpetuating society's expectations that music and entertainment be cheap and/or free. THANKS. :angry-fire:

Seriously, she's teaching violin to people for free? Musicians (trained and amateur) already get stiffed and paid peanuts, and people think that's okay. This chick is just perpetuating society's expectations that music and entertainment be cheap and/or free. THANKS. :angry-fire:

Because, as people say to me, music teacher, "it is not a real job !"

Is this the girl who wrote the wretched anti abortion story a while back-- or an older sister?

22 WAYS SHE SPENDS HER DAYS

For the past two years, she has been teaching a preschool class in our home 2-3 days each week. (babysitter)

As she has so many sisters, Emily is responsible to prepare dinner for our large family only one night a week. She makes some delicious spaghetti sauce! She also enjoys making cheese-filled Pumpkin Log Rolls. Yum! Makes spaghetti and cake

She and Haley keep the living room tidy and deep-cleaned. She also does breakfast dishes with Sam each morning. Housework in one room and daily dishes....

She adds little touches to make ordinary things seem more special. Such as lighting a candle or picking wildflowers and arranging them tastefully in a vase. (Walks and chews gum? WTF)

Last year she took the initiative to till up and tend to her own little garden plot. She plans to grow flowers this year. "Gardening. also, wtf... when I was ~10, I dug up and relaided an old brick sidewalk for the hell of it... at 22 tilling up a garden when you are likely bored out of your mind-- OK"

She is a great help with canning and preserving food. Last year she made some killer pickles! Pickles are the easiest of all canning--which is why I tend to stick with them myself, (plus I work full time and last year was on 50% travel.)

Emily has a beautiful soprano voice. Through amazing circumstances, the Lord allowed her to begin training with a professional voice coach, which eventually included all three older girls. They sing for the glory of God in churches and at festivals and other community events. First off, that is a very weird sentence. Secondly-- they are basically in choir and do specials.

She enjoys composing songs; writing words and music to go along with them that blesses the socks off her family! Wow, that IS unique among 22 year olds

Emily is a student of God's Word. When confronted with a doctrine she is unfamiliar with or challenged in her beliefs, she will search the Scriptures, read commentaries, compare doctrines and pray for wisdom until she has her feet firmly planted in what she believes to be Truth. (Where is she that she learns different doctrine?)

She plays "fiddle" and teaches violin to several students. Or, she plays fiddle and teaches fiddle to several students.

After spending 11 weeks in an internship with the Mally family in 2011, Emily began leading a Bright Lights discipleship group for young ladies ages 10-16. The Lord has blessed her efforts and the group has grown. (She has graduated from drinking the Kool Aid to making and serving the Kool Aid)

Though she has a blog (which she does not update as often as she would like), A Bright Light in a Dark World, and she has had a Google + account in the past, Emily isn't much for social media.

She does however, thoroughly enjoy Pinterest! Dreaming my live away

Emily loves to sew and has bartered violin lessons for sewing lessons from our good friend Dee, proprietor of Modesty Matters sewing curriculum. She is also overseeing the younger girls through the curriculum. (Why are these people not active in 4-H clubs or have their own-- she'd have learned to sew at 10 in 4-h!)

Speaking of sewing, Emily enjoys creating costumes for our plays. She worked with her good friend Hannah on the costumes for The Princess and the Kiss and is currently creating some interesting looks for the upcoming play Stay in the Castle (to be performed at our annual fall party this year). (Could start a halloween business.)

She also enjoys acting in our plays. She played the Queen in the play above and the part of the part of the Peasant Lady in the former production of Stay in the Castle a few years ago. I bet the try-outs for lead in a family play are very competitive!

Aannnd speaking of plays, she has recently begun writing an original musical, to be performed at one of our gatherings in the future/// (She needs to meet the Arndts. )

Emily loves to fix hair. From braids to updos and curls to cuts. she is our "go-to" gal for hairstyles. (At 22, her life sounds like a tween slumber party)

This girl loves to host tea parties! Whether an impromptu tea time with her sisters or a grand tea party planned in advance, she's our party girl. She makes tea for her sisters.....if she serves cake, this is redundant to the earlier cake and spaghetti point

She assists with our family's food ministry involving a food bank. She helps to organize, sort, bag, box, and deliver the food. She can put food in sacks, by type? Awesome.

To supplement her income, she also serves an elderly couple by cleaning their house once a month. Is it "serving" them if she gets paid?

She certainly is a very speshul snowflalke. :super special: If she's following the Mallys she may be single a long time.

This sounds like what I do each day, but I'm a mother of 4, work per diem, have a husband, cook EVERY day (my husband burns water - but he cleans the kitchen each night :D ) and I even have time for social media!

I'd love to see a SAHD who works full time in the real world, goes to school full time to get an education... that's what prepares you for real life. Not sitting around tastefully arranging flowers and playing the fiddle wink wink wink or whatever that meant.

Bullshit. If those people had to spend two minutes wrangling all the hellians, they would think differently. A good 75 % of the time music teachers are actually just nannies and daycare employees. These same people pay out the nose for those services.

And half the pay as a musician/music teacher should be for putting up with the latest foreign sticky substance, keeping them from shattering their instruments into a million and one pieces, and going "Hey! You! Pay the fuck attention!"

OMG. Unions should make sure that music teachers get extra money for the musical torture they have to endure everyday. I really admire you and your colleagues who have the patience to teach music to kids, even the tone deaf ones.

Am I old or does she look 14?

She doesn't update her blog often. Maybe because she has nothing to write about?

17.She also enjoys acting in our plays. She played the Queen in the play above and the part of the part of the Peasant Lady in the former production of Stay in the Castle a few years ago.

Oh god. They actually changed this Stay in the Castle to be even more asinine, wherein the princess is persuaded from her sinful, disobedient ways and is rewarded by the honor of becoming helpmeet to a handsome prince (who is played by her sister) :romance-admire:

11.Emily was recently offered a lucrative position at a local music store teaching violin a couple of days a week, but after prayerfully considering the proposal, she rejected the offer because it would hinder her from being able to serve mothers by caring for their children when the need arises.

How does this count as one of the 22 things she does when she refused the position :?

Emily's 23rd birthday 2015

Emily successfully carried out her escape plan, after 23 years of carefully acting the dull obedient daughter she artfully packed her hidden immodest clothes and went off to college to study andrology.

Just for comparison, what were you doing at 22?

1. Full-time student

2. Living in my own apartment, so I can claim I was a homemaker

3. Assistant manager at the restaurant I worked at

4. Assistant to the bacteriology department in a professor's heat shock protein study.

5. TA to a different Bacteriolgy professor's intro to microbiolgy class.

6. ENGAGED to be married.

7-22 can be encompassed in the fact that I was frugal with money, good at stretching our food budget with coupons and proper planning. I could sew, did cross stitch in my rare spare time, and mostly, pre-Pintrest, enjoyed planning my wedding with my fiance.

My life was boring as hell too, but at least I was independent.

Married; a grad student; teaching part-time. Made all my own clothes (this was an economical thing to do in the early '70s); cooked and baked from scratch. Not exactly exciting, but I was living like an adult.

Am I old or does she look 14?

She doesn't update her blog often. Maybe because she has nothing to write about?

I can't say much as I have always looked young for my age. Being short sucks.

Just for comparison, what were you doing at 22?

Married, a homeowner, and working full-time after having graduated from college the year before. Going on a bunch of nice vacations with my husband.

When was 22, it was 2004/2005. I was a nurse's assistant in a nursing home- 3rd shift. A had a 500ft studio apartment- which I loved then. Got a loan and got a car. Dating someone in the navy, went to Virgina Beach to see them every other weekend. So not a thing too great either I'm afraid, but I'd take that a thousand times more than being a sahd. It is really when I established myself- got bills in my name, developed credit, learned how to it on in the world.

Archived