IGNORED

Christian Group Plans 40-Day Fast Against Marriage Equality

doggie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. Some might die. Some might need Obama-care.

OH wait they don't really mean no food for 40 days do they? Silly me.

That sign says history confirms kids do best with a mom and a dad... what history?

Oh just some totally random nonsense that could mean either Alois and Klara Hitler or Joseph and Mary ben Heli/Jacob.

The child in me wants to order 50 pizzas to be delivered right after their Sunday services...

On about day 30 ;)

This has stirred up quite the little s**t storm in the Twitterverse.

To summarize, he does not think the bible addresses morality, that people twist Scripture to suit their beliefs and um, he can't think of any reason to oppose marriage equality and other heretical high points.

Haven't heard anything from other band members.

For the musically challenged among us, can someone explain the relevance of this please? I've never heard of Jars of Clay, which probably makes me some kind of horrible person (just like not liking Star Wars or Star Trek)

As an aside whenever I see stuff like this: fasting for 40 days or something ridiculous, I always think of the Lord in Shrek

"Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

LVGpnn3mXTk

That sign says history confirms kids do best with a mom and a dad... what history?

Those claims really can't hold water. Kids do best with a mom and a dad as opposed to what? Being in an orphanage? Well sure of course. There are no conclusive studies stating that the gender makeup of family makes a difference. Also the cut of that suit on Josh is HORRIBLE. Find a tailor.

Jars of Clay is a pretty popular Christian band, one of the biggest out there I would say. They also had some secular radio play with their song 'FLOOD", you may know that song. I was pretty happy to read his comments because i always really liked their music.

As an aside whenever I see stuff like this: fasting for 40 days or something ridiculous, I always think of the Lord in Shrek

"Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

LVGpnn3mXTk

I'm so glad someone else has that quote to pull out as needed! LOL

40 days? I hope somebody's around to call an ambulance when they keep over from the complications THAT will cause. Idiots.

Longest I've ever fasted for was one day. I've heard people call for one day fasts before, but we were still not expected to go around trumpeting it.

Fasting for long periods (more than 2 days) typically is "during certain parts of the day." Usually you fast from sun up to sun down.

Fasting for long periods (more than 2 days) typically is "during certain parts of the day." Usually you fast from sun up to sun down.

Like Ramadan....

Also the cut of that suit on Josh is HORRIBLE. Find a tailor.

Looks to me like it's an overcoat.

Looks to me like it's an overcoat.

Could be you're right. Either way it makes him look ginormous.

Those claims really can't hold water. Kids do best with a mom and a dad as opposed to what? Being in an orphanage? Well sure of course. There are no conclusive studies stating that the gender makeup of family makes a difference. Also the cut of that suit on Josh is HORRIBLE. Find a tailor.

exactly. there are actually studies that say kids of gay parents are better off than kids with straight parents. But we know the fundies just discount things they don't agree with.

I think their approach to fasting is magical thinking. If we fast, then God will answer our prayers. Whatever that might be. I'm guessing that all people everywhere regardless of religious faith will believe and live as they do.

I've never understood why conservative Christians insist on a theocracy. It makes absolutely no sense. I mean, I get it if YOU want to have a traditional marriage, and I can even understand if you think ALL Christians should behave in a certain moral way, but why then make the leap to enforce what other people do? I guess it would make more sense if they were fasting against the Christians who support same-sex marriage, because at least that would be within the faith. Even the epistles say to leave the unbelievers alone and only reserve judgment for other Christians. I want one fundie or conservative Christian to explain to me how all the boycotts and everything fit with the following verses:

"9 When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer[j] yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.

12 It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.â€[k]" 1 Corinthians 5

Is fasting common in fundie circles?

Daniel Lockwood's confession states:

It is with great regret and sorrow that I write this letter to inform you of a personal moral failure. I have confessed my sin to my pastor and after prayer and fasting, my pastor and the deacon board at our sending church have decided to remove me from the ministry immediately.

Back in 2011, our very own Governor Hairdo (Rick Perry) called for a public day of fasting and prayer (The Response) at Reliant Stadium in Houston. (Also referred to Prayerapalooza).

Cruelly, most of the concession stands were open; not everybody was fasting, but fasting was prominent in advertising the event.

Doesn't this breach the privacy of the confessional? I was under the impression that what happens in the confessional, stays in the confessional.

Doesn't this breach the privacy of the confessional? I was under the impression that what happens in the confessional, stays in the confessional.

No that is in catholicism. They are not catholic and only the priest is bound to keep the confession confidential. The confessor can tell whomever they wish to tell.

Fuck. The pink poster with a traditionnal family in white come frome La Manif pour tous, the anti-marriage equality movement in France ;o; Sorry America.

anyway, I dream to explain to them how it was good to grew up in foster care with "a dad and a mom" foster family *irony*

Fasting, at least in the Christian tradition, is a tool that is used with prayer to get the fasting individual's spiritual house in order. There is no basis to use it as a way to score points with God or as way to change the behavior of another.

Double face palm to these idiots for taking a private practice and applying it to a political agenda.

Privacy of the confessional can only be breached by the clergy hearing the confession. There is nothing to stop Lockwood from going public since it was his sin.

Fasting, at least in the Christian tradition, is a tool that is used with prayer to get the fasting individual's spiritual house in order. There is no basis to use it as a way to score points with God or as way to change the behavior of another.

Double face palm to these idiots for taking a private practice and applying it to a political agenda.

This. I was taught (as an ebil heathen Catholic) that fasting was designed to free you from the demands of your body so that you could concentrate more fully on prayer. Obviously, your body puts up a pretty good fight, so overcoming those natural needs was part of the spiritual journey.

For the musically challenged among us, can someone explain the relevance of this please? I've never heard of Jars of Clay, which probably makes me some kind of horrible person (just like not liking Star Wars or Star Trek)

I just remember this song by them and that, of course, everyone in ATI thought they were corrupting churches and teens with their ungodly music.

It came out about 20 years ago and I'm surprised the band has stayed popular enough that a band member coming out in support of gay marriage is a big deal. I had no clue they were still around.

Archived