IGNORED

Christian Group Plans 40-Day Fast Against Marriage Equality

doggie

what would we do without all these christians that are so much more smart and moral then the rest of us?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/2 ... 06498.html

A Christian group based in Virginia is encouraging followers and other churches across the nation to join a 40-day fast against marriage equality.

The Family Foundation of Virginia, which "seeks to establish through citizen advocacy and enactment of Virginia law a safe, prosperous and wholesome climate for families," released a statement about the anti-gay fast on its website on April 10. The press release is titled "40 Days Of Prayer, Fasting And Repentance For Marriage" and says the hunger strike will run from Aug. 27 through Oct. 5.

From the statement:

Our state and nation are mired in a morass of confusion and post-modern thinking that does not believe in absolutes nor that any truth can even be known. Nowhere is this more evident than in the current debate raging about what constitutes marriage. Pagan philosophies, a secular humanist education establishment and an entertainment industry that is absolutely determined in pushing the envelope on decency and morality have all combined to turn this great land into a country that our forefathers could not even begin to recognize.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The child in me wants to order 50 pizzas to be delivered right after their Sunday services...

I don't understand how fasting would achieve anything? What is the point? :?

makes them feel all persecuted and christian.

Not that they would pay any attention to Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline (no doubt too mystic-leaning and quasi-Catholic for them), but this passage from it seems pertinent nonetheless:

To use good things to our own ends is always the sign of false religion. How easy it is to take something like fasting and try to use it to get God to do what we want. At times there is such stress upon the blessings and benefits of fasting that we would be tempted to believe that with a little fast we could have the world, including God, eating out of our hands.

Anger, bitterness, jealousy, strife, fear-- if they are within us, they will surface during fasting. At first we will rationalize that our anger is due to our hunger; then we will realize that we are angry because the spirit of anger is within us. We can rejoice in this knowledge because we know that healing is available through the power of Christ.

That is, if you're fasting to change someone other than yourself, UR DOING IT RONG.

have all combined to turn this great land into a country that our forefathers could not even begin to recognize.

I know, it's shocking. Slavery abolished, you can't help yourself to Indian land and kill them when they have a problem with it, you're even supposed to be reasonably polite to Jews. The country's going to hell in a handbasket.

I don't understand how fasting would achieve anything? What is the point? :?

This! Whenever I read about some hunger strike, I always roll my eyes. It's the equivalent of holding your breath as a child. Also, will fasting, or going on a hunger strike really make a differene in marriage equality? In the Bible, one is not supposed to fast, and announce it. You do it in private, and do your best to look healthy, and rested. You don't walk around moaning, and lookng haggard. I can take a guess as to which this group will belong to, the former, or latter.

Hunger strike? Fasting? Cool, means more food for me.

Is fasting common in fundie circles?

Daniel Lockwood's confession states:

It is with great regret and sorrow that I write this letter to inform you of a personal moral failure. I have confessed my sin to my pastor and after prayer and fasting, my pastor and the deacon board at our sending church have decided to remove me from the ministry immediately.

Back in 2011, our very own Governor Hairdo (Rick Perry) called for a public day of fasting and prayer (The Response) at Reliant Stadium in Houston. (Also referred to Prayerapalooza).

Cruelly, most of the concession stands were open; not everybody was fasting, but fasting was prominent in advertising the event.

40 days? I hope somebody's around to call an ambulance when they keep over from the complications THAT will cause. Idiots.

Longest I've ever fasted for was one day. I've heard people call for one day fasts before, but we were still not expected to go around trumpeting it.

Is fasting common in fundie circles?

Daniel Lockwood's confession states:

It is with great regret and sorrow that I write this letter to inform you of a personal moral failure. I have confessed my sin to my pastor and after prayer and fasting, my pastor and the deacon board at our sending church have decided to remove me from the ministry immediately.

Back in 2011, our very own Governor Hairdo (Rick Perry) called for a public day of fasting and prayer (The Response) at Reliant Stadium in Houston. (Also referred to Prayerapalooza).

Cruelly, most of the concession stands were open; not everybody was fasting, but fasting was prominent in advertising the event.

I had to laugh out loud at the thought of open concessions stands at a prayer and fasting event.

I don't see a thread on this yet, but the front man of Jars of Clay has come out in favor of marriage equality! :cracking-up:

I don't see a thread on this yet, but the front man of Jars of Clay has come out in favor of marriage equality! :cracking-up:

I was SO excited to see that. I just saw it this morning when a fundie-lite FB friend railed against him in her status. I feel like I can break out at least one of my old CCM CDs in good conscience :)

40 days? I hope somebody's around to call an ambulance when they keep over from the complications THAT will cause. Idiots.

Longest I've ever fasted for was one day. I've heard people call for one day fasts before, but we were still not expected to go around trumpeting it.

Jesus had something to say about that:

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. --Matthew 6:16

So even according to Jesus, they're DOIN IT RONG.

This! Whenever I read about some hunger strike, I always roll my eyes. It's the equivalent of holding your breath as a child. Also, will fasting, or going on a hunger strike really make a differene in marriage equality? In the Bible, one is not supposed to fast, and announce it. You do it in private, and do your best to look healthy, and rested. You don't walk around moaning, and lookng haggard. I can take a guess as to which this group will belong to, the former, or latter.

Hunger strike? Fasting? Cool, means more food for me.

This.

Yeah you do that. And if you don't make it 40 days, then gay marriage will continue and it will be all your fault.

The child in me wants to order 50 pizzas to be delivered right after their Sunday services...

Better yet, have them sent to Smuggar's since it looks like he's in the picture of that group. At least, that way we know his children will eat.

Supposedly when you are fasting, its supposed to make you closer to God. When you fast, your prayers are heard clearer, God moves in a wonderous way because you are sacrificing the comfort of a full belly for him. Fasting is a good way to lay seeds for harvest or something like that.

Or thats what I was taught. Basically, God loves you more when you fast.

Better yet, have them sent to Smuggar's since it looks like he's in the picture of that group. At least, that way we know his children will eat.

Fasting? Hahahahahaha I don't think he is going to make it. I think it would be a major accomplishment if he went an hour without eating.

I know, it's shocking. Slavery abolished, you can't help yourself to Indian land and kill them when they have a problem with it, you're even supposed to be reasonably polite to Jews. The country's going to hell in a handbasket.

You can't even run a factory with child labor anymore! This country is just going downhill fast.

This has stirred up quite the little s**t storm in the Twitterverse.

To summarize, he does not think the bible addresses morality, that people twist Scripture to suit their beliefs and um, he can't think of any reason to oppose marriage equality and other heretical high points.

Haven't heard anything from other band members.

I wish these Christians would actually follow Jesus but I guess it is too much to ask. They just love drawing attention to themselves while trying to force their faith on everyone else.

As a longtime Christian, I don't understand why this is such a priority for so many of my brethren. Why not focus on stopping sex trafficking or child abuse or hunger or homelessness rather than putting so much prayer and energy into stopping people from loving each other from enjoying the same legal benefits as heterosexuals?

I think that many of these people erroneously believe that if civil same-sex marriage were legalized, churches would be forced to perform same-sex weddings. They don't understand civil rights at all.

Archived