IGNORED

Need a frumper picture please!

daniee

I have to give the Seven Sisters props for their sewing section. Some of their projects are really cute, and their directions for how to make them are solid.

Is it wrong that I have been wanting to buy a blouse from their Etsy shop?

Camo culottes.

modestapparelusa.com/camouflage/culottes-elastic-waist-camouflage.html

That took me to a place I did NOT need to go.

OMG. That site sells a school uniform just like the ones we wore in the ACE school I went to 30 years ago, before we started homeschooling: modestapparelusa.com/girls-modest-clothing/girls-dresses-and-jumpers/girls-modest-school-uniform-jumper-size-12.html (and why does the dress look so dirty in that pic? Really? Couldn't they wash it first?)

I can't believe that "style" is still around.

On the Modest Apparel site...check out the women's dress section. Most of the frumpers have left the station in favor of...mumus. :shock: They also have shoulder pads, if you would like to accessorize.

Where does this whole idea of dressing from the 1800s come from? Like, why does dressing in frumpers make you more godly than dressing in a modest top and a long skirt? Does anyone know the difference?

Where does this whole idea of dressing from the 1800s come from? Like, why does dressing in frumpers make you more godly than dressing in a modest top and a long skirt? Does anyone know the difference?

I'm guessing a bit here, but I think they wear old and outdated clothes so as not to focus on image. Theoretically, the uglier, plainer, and more out of fashion the clothes that are worn, the less a person's outward appearance is being focused on. Of course, we all know the irony where that's concerned. But I think hardcore fundies argue that it's also meant to signify their status as ultra-conservative Christians. Can't dress in modern clothes lest they get lumped in with the heathenous masses. So frumpers are basically uniforms. Of course with Toolbox and Co., it was more of a confederate civil war obsession/jerkoff.

I think they tend to romanticise that time period in general. It's back when men were manly and women knew their place and flashing an ankle was seen for what it obviously is.

I think I had some of those culottes they sell on Modest Apparel. I had some really hideous patterns too. I feel really sorry for children and teens who are forced to dress like that, it was so humiliating.

Why does "modest" seem to be synonymous with "look at these really ugly fabrics I found! I can't imagine why no one else was buying these!"

Oh, hey ... a nursing frumper. modestapparelusa.com/maternity-and-nursing/modest-nursing-jumper-dress.html

As a former nursing mom, may I just please say ... nope.

Is it wrong that I have been wanting to buy a blouse from their Etsy shop?

Not at all! :D I actually want to make a couple of their quilted pot holders. I really liked how they were careful to tell readers that you have to use actual towel material as a liner instead of synthetic fiberfill because it would melt from the heat of the oven when the mitts were used.

I was on a page with night dress for women. My girlfirend saw it and said : "and they say they are against contraception ? Sleeping with THIS is the best way to avoid baby. "

21345335_475.jpg?1343088169

I'll spare you the bridemaids dresses...

That looks shockingly similar to my sister's wedding dress.

Ruffle at the bottom screams 1970s to me...

I agree, I think it looks very '70s. I think that's where the frumpers come from, at least the ones that aren't completely pioneer style. There was some point in the 70s or 80s when those loose jumpers were a thing. I wonder if that's around when's their movement started, they found a type of clothing that was easily available and fit their modesty standards, and then just never changed it?

I agree, I think it looks very '70s. I think that's where the frumpers come from, at least the ones that aren't completely pioneer style. There was some point in the 70s or 80s when those loose jumpers were a thing. I wonder if that's around when's their movement started, they found a type of clothing that was easily available and fit their modesty standards, and then just never changed it?

I think that is what happened. Long loose jumpers were readily available up until the early 2000s. I was a kid in the 1990s and my mom had a closet full of them, all bought from mainstream stores.

I think the movement probably started a little later...when all those jumpers started to hit thrift stores! There was probably a time when that style was the predominate long, non-formal dress-style available second hand, and plus they are very practical because the looseness allows you to wear them well into a pregnancy!

Archived