IGNORED

What's up with LAF(Ladies Against Feminism)?

GenerationCedarchip

Does anyone know what happened to LAF? Lately it seems like their "blog" just pulls articles from other sites and links to them. I think it's been quite a while since they had any original content. I know Lydia Sherman seems to have issues of her own, but has Jennie Chancey stopped writing all together, too? She and her husband have been in Africa for a while but they seem to have pulled a disappearing act of sorts. Just wondering what's been going on behind the scenes. Seems like all those forums created to "educate" us all about the wonders of traditional biblical womanhood are vanishing one by one.

Lydia Sherman? Dumb question, but is that Lady Lydia of the Too Much Pink? What're her issues?

Lydia Sherman? Dumb question, but is that Lady Lydia of the Too Much Pink? What're her issues?

yes - Lydia of the Too Much Pink. I don't know specifics, but from looking at her blog (Home Living), there certainly seems to be something up. I hesitate to speculate because I don't know her, but the oddly decorated little teaparties for herself and what appears to be her ever-increasing social isolation send up all kinds of red flags for me. Also, over the years I used to see her interact a fair amount not just with Jennie Chancey but with other bloggers. Lately that seems to have stopped. I don't see her mentioned much by others anymore at all.

Judging from a FB comment a couple of months ago, the Chanceys had to move from Kenya to South Africa earlier this year due to visa issues for Matt's work with the Persecution Project (persecutionproject.org/). Jennie is also expecting #10 11.

It's likely that one or both of those factors have affected LAF although it hasn't had original content (particularly by Jennie) for a long time, as in years.

yes - Lydia of the Too Much Pink. I don't know specifics, but from looking at her blog (Home Living), there certainly seems to be something up. I hesitate to speculate because I don't know her, but the oddly decorated little teaparties for herself and what appears to be her ever-increasing social isolation send up all kinds of red flags for me. Also, over the years I used to see her interact a fair amount not just with Jennie Chancey but with other bloggers. Lately that seems to have stopped. I don't see her mentioned much by others anymore at all.

Same thoughts over here since a while... I use(d) to regulary check out her blog for lulz, but ... people, since her return from that trip to Australia, that woman really gone to the (frilly-pink- dressed, imaginary) dogs!

I think her sewing together her paperwork plus that yard sale, that never happened, were the turning marks. Now it just isn´t fun anymore :?

Her blog is now just a source for more or less whimsy pictures of flowers and women in long skirts, parted by Lydia bubbling the same things over and over and over again....

Very sad and dready.

I'm relatively friendly with one of the LAF gals. She used to always link her LAF articles to her Facebook page, and our homeschool group, but I haven't seen anything in quite sometime. We still live in the same state, but different towns, so I don't see her regularly like I used to. I should ask her, but I think she's still upset with me over something silly from a few months ago.

Very sad and dready.

I actually feel quite sorry for Lydia. She's described having to move often, living in tents or shacks, and she mentioned a while ago coming to her marriage with a suitcase containing not much more than a couple of changes of clothing, her bible, and some stationery. It sounds as though she had a very deprived childhood. I suspect that's what drives her obsession with photos of attractive rooms, and to accumulate all sorts of cr@p from the dollar stores.

The thing I don't get about Lydia these days is how busy she tries to make her life sound. She is always saying things like "the housework keeps me so busy that I rarely get a chance to sit down, but when I do I have this tea and this sandwich and here's a picture of them." They're a middle-aged couple living in a tiny little house...how dirty can the place possibly get? And she's so terribly busy with the housework, but she finds time to do things like make fake pastries or fake ice skates for decorating. :?

And as far as the Chanceys go, with all the shit that's going down with VF and how close they were with Dougie over the years....I doubt we'll be hearing a peep out of them. I'm thinking that they're probably thanking their lucky stars they're across the ocean and have been for a couple of years now.

Judging from a FB comment a couple of months ago, the Chanceys had to move from Kenya to South Africa earlier this year due to visa issues for Matt's work with the Persecution Project (persecutionproject.org/). Jennie is also expecting #10 11.

It's likely that one or both of those factors have affected LAF although it hasn't had original content (particularly by Jennie) for a long time, as in years.

They have kids born in at least a couple countries already, right? If they're having kids born in more countries, and Matt's having visa issues (any idea what the issues might be?), can't this cause more problems? Since these kids are going to be citizens of different countries? I don't know how it works. I don't know when you even need a visa since I've never traveled.

They have kids born in at least a couple countries already, right? If they're having kids born in more countries, and Matt's having visa issues (any idea what the issues might be?), can't this cause more problems? Since these kids are going to be citizens of different countries? I don't know how it works. I don't know when you even need a visa since I've never traveled.

All the kids would be US citizens. Depending on where they were born they may have dual citizenship, but they'll definitely have their parents US citizenship.

All the kids would be US citizens. Depending on where they were born they may have dual citizenship, but they'll definitely have their parents US citizenship.

If the kids born there never even step foot here, and meet someone else who has American citizenship by parents, and whose also never been to the US, and they have kids, would those kids also have American citizenship? Even if the parents never came here?

If the kids born there never even step foot here, and meet someone else who has American citizenship by parents, and whose also never been to the US, and they have kids, would those kids also have American citizenship? Even if the parents never came here?

No idea. One would have to assume that there is a limit to conferred citizenship for expats, generation wise, but I don't know what it is or how it works.

The answer to that is yes. My husband was born overseas and never lived in the US until he was over 18, but he had citizenship via his parents from birth. He had dual citizenship with his other country but renounced at 18 b/c he was coming here for college and had no intention of going back. Also, he would have had mandatory military service if he kept the other citizenship.

Here are the rules: http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/cit ... gh-parents

Yes. My son was born in Germany. He got a birth certificate from the us consulate that said American born abroad or some such.

Yes. My son was born in Germany. He got a birth certificate from the us consulate that said American born abroad or some such.

I think DGayle meant.....if your son married someone in the same situation as him, and they had a child, would that child still be a US citizen? And I have no idea the answer to that.

I think DGayle meant.....if your son married someone in the same situation as him, and they had a child, would that child still be a US citizen? And I have no idea the answer to that.

In DGayle's hypothetical, it depends. From the rules as stated on the US website, it sounds like 1 of the American citizen parents has to have been to this country for the US citizenship to be conferred on the next generation. For example, if my husband and I move to London, our child born there would be American. However, if said child lives abroad all his life and marries someone who has also never been to the USA, then their child would not automatically be an American citizen.

In DGayle's hypothetical, it depends. From the rules as stated on the US website, it sounds like 1 of the American citizen parents has to have been to this country for the US citizenship to be conferred on the next generation. For example, if my husband and I move to London, our child born there would be American. However, if said child lives abroad all his life and marries someone who has also never been to the USA, then their child would not automatically be an American citizen.

This is my understanding (as someone who has negotiated some of the US's citizenship rules from the other end). If you are born in the US, or a naturalized citizen, you are an American citizen. If said person has a child outside the US, that child is a citizen too. But if that child does not move to the US and have his or her kids there, or make sure the other parent is a born or naturalized US citizen, your grandchildren are not going to be Americans. (Unless they pursue naturalization on their own.)

And, back to the original issue - while America confers citizenship on anyone born in its borders, this is not true for all countries. So, the African born Chancey kids may have the citizenship of the countries they were born in, or not, depending on the laws of those countries.

[There will be a quiz at the end of the thread! :) ]

Archived