IGNORED

On Nekkidness

InkyGirl

Garden attire pre-Fall: "And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed." -- Genesis 2:25 (I'm surprised by the number of fundies who ignore that verse when offering advice on the marital relationship. One flesh? Let it all hang out.)

How should couples have sex? Since marriage is honorable in all (Hebrews 13:4), they can do it swinging from the lights dressed in super-hero costumes for all anyone else should care.

Some fundies are serious busy-bodies, and their legalism is outstripped only by their own personal perversions which they project onto other people.

Huh? I'm Catholic (not fundy, but I have acquaintences who are), I'm 50ish, and I've never heard anything like this so I'm curious where you learned this. In fact, I've heard the "nightgown with a hole/sheet with a hole" thing about so many different religions (orthodox Jews, Mormons, Muslims) that I'm pretty suspicious that it's just one of those stories that goes around and around.

Well, if it is a sin, then my Air Force fiance is guilty of this on all fronts. He LOVES being naked, and loves when I am too - even when we are just watching tv. I joke with him all the time that every time I get up, another piece of clothing disappears! Then again, also the same guy who i confessed to that I find boxer-briefs to be sexier than boxers, and magically they all disappeared. When we get married we also have decided "naked Sundays" are a must. Maybe we are just perverted. To our credit, we both have good bodies :)

I think some fundie Mormons have worn their underwear as it was one piece with big slits in certain areas allowing for procreation. One thing about Mormonism in general is that masturbation is seen as a major sin, which could be why missionaries are always in pairs, to keep an eye on each other.

I don't think the slits are there for sex. The original garments were made that way to make it easier to go to the bathroom, just like many other styles of underwear during that time period. I don't think the modern garments have slits like that, and I think most Mormons are willing to be naked for sex, just as they are willing to be naked for bathing.

I think the Catholic slit in the nightgown thing that failsafe mentioned is probably either anti-Catholic propaganda or just old-fashioned bigoted jokes that came to be taken more seriously over time. I'm sure that there are Catholic prudes (and prudes in all other groups) who can only do it with lights out and almost fully-clothed, and maybe even pray before doing it, but I doubt that this was ever common enough to bring about the widespread use of nightgowns with slits in them. The Jewish hole-in-the sheet myth is similarly untrue. FWIW long, covered nightgowns weren't a modesty issue; they were necessary to stay warm at night before we all got used to affordable heating in every room.

gracegrace, my source is the nanny who raised me in South America, in a very catholic country where abortion is still illegal.

bananacat, I have it from friends who are medical doctors in the community in our province where the fundy mormons have their colony; many of the women do not even take their undies off for medical exams or giving birth!! (some of them actually do come give birth in hospital from time to time).

I think some fundie Mormons have worn their underwear as it was one piece with big slits in certain areas allowing for procreation. One thing about Mormonism in general is that masturbation is seen as a major sin, which could be why missionaries are always in pairs, to keep an eye on each other.

I don't know anyone who wears the one piece any longer as they were insanely cumbersome and uncomfortable. The slits were there to use the bathroom so you wouldn't have to undress just to pee. Also I have never heard of any Mormons who have sex with their garments still on. Many sleep naked and all of us have our Victoria's Secret stash as well as the nightstand items.

That being said I have heard from people who live near the FLDS (polygamists) that some never take off their garments even when they bath. They will take one leg out, wash, and then do the same with the other. I am assuming that would be the case with the Canadian fundies mentioned above. They also don't like to give birth in hospitals because they would have to fill out the birth certificate and with one dude being married to lots of women it gets interesting.

I know in the Army officer handbook(yes, there is a book) that a couple can only have sex in the missionary position and only for the sake of getting children and never on a Sunday. If one breaks these rules then they may be in big trouble. I laughed my arse off when I read that and that also helped keep my DH in line.... always threatened to tell the Colonel that we had wild monkey sex. (not that we had sex with monkeys but like monkeys, don't want anyone to get me wrong, I like monkeys well enough but not enough to have sex with them) All these out dated rules are still on the record and I had to follow them in order to marry my husband. Thankfully they let us marry at all as my husband could have gone to prison for marrying me in the first place. My first husband was enlisted.

Archived