IGNORED

Pearls on Anderson Cooper

mstee

I don't think the Pearls gave a hoot about what happened to that little girl. Perhaps because she is black, who knows? It wouldn't surprise me if they are racist, too.

It's got nothing to do with the color of her skin, but with the fact she's a child.

I was also sickened by that story where they whip (I refuse to use the word "spank"_) a daughter for two weeks because she'd taken two weeks to confess a lie. Did it ever occur to them she probably lied out of fear of their horrible punishments? And how she must have suffered during those two weeks, while Debi tried to figure out who'd done the crime? And that perhaps she should praise her child for honesty? How could she even hit a five year old for two solid weeks? I think Debi was just pissed that she got bamboozled by a five year old.
Knowing the Pearls it's entirely possible that Debi was terrorizing the kids for two weeks before the girl cracked. The Pearls are sadists. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they used teh kids against each other.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of this story was posted on the cnn website. The Pearl's are definitely not right in the head. Michael Pearl talking about hitting a seven year old 15 times with a belt because hitting his sibling is wrong.. I never needed physical violence to raise my girls "in the way they should go".

It's got nothing to do with the color of her skin, but with the fact she's a child.

Knowing the Pearls it's entirely possible that Debi was terrorizing the kids for two weeks before the girl cracked. The Pearls are sadists. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they used teh kids against each other.

Sadly, I don't think this is true. I think among some fundies (and obviously the larger world as well, but for the sake of not going off on a tangent, I'll stick to fundies) there's an attitude or eurocentrism or a missionary impulse that hasn't died. It's reeks of 19th century attitudes of "civilizing the savages" or the "heathens".

Guest Anonymous

The Pearls are racist, too. We talked about it on the old board. This quote used to be on their website, but was mysteriously disappeared after we started discussing it.

Right here in our own community a family adopted three children from Liberia. We warned them, but they were so caught up with good feelings about how they were sacrificing their lives to save poor starving children from orphanages that they danced their way into tragedy. They have several children younger than the three adopted kids, who, unknowing to them, were well versed in all the dark arts of eroticism and ghastly perversion.

We have received many letters from families who have adopted children from overseas, quite a few from Liberia, and nearly every one of them—if not all—told sad stories of the fall of their natural children into sexual deviance.

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/2675/M ... rts?page=1

The comment about the Liberan adoptees is still there: nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2010/august/09/avoiding-vacuums/

Scroll down to Mike's answer near the bottom.

I doubt he's ever been ashamed or embarrassed about anything he's said, no matter how evil or stupid.

I can't believe the Pearls straight up admitted to their "methods" on a national news program. You'd think they'd at least try to downplay it knowing the whole freaking country would see it. I don't know if they have no consciences or if they don't care if people know about them. I mean, do they not get that people will hate them for this? Or maybe they don't care.

Those poor, poor children, though. I just can't get my head around parents like that. :cry:

Is the video posted on the AC360 website the entire video? It seemed to end abruptly.

I didn't catch the show, and can't watch the video now -- must go to bed (and actually be able to sleep).

But I just wanted to chime in with the voices expressing relief that someone in the major media outlets is talking about these filthy child-torturers.

Of course they looked into it it is called CYA. they wanted to make sure they would not be blamed. they could care less the children were beaten and died. They could care less about anything but their own beliefs and making money.

Too bad Mike & Debi can't be spanked for every foul thing they've said.

If a 7-year-old boy can receive 10-15 "licks" from a belt, wood spoon or plumbing supply line, how many licks should 60+ Mike & Debi Pearl receive? 600 - 900? Do you think they'd learn then not say awful things?

I am so glad that AC is bring this to national attention. On a blog that I read that has nothing to do with fundies, they are talking about Lydia. I hope that this scrutiny may bring about changes.

I can't believe the Pearls straight up admitted to their "methods" on a national news program. You'd think they'd at least try to downplay it knowing the whole freaking country would see it. I don't know if they have no consciences or if they don't care if people know about them. I mean, do they not get that people will hate them for this? Or maybe they don't care.

Those poor, poor children, though. I just can't get my head around parents like that. :cry:

They're fundies. Of course they expect people to hate them, then they can whine on their site about being persecuted.

Just watched Part I online at the show's website. Anderson and company NAIL it.

Not only do they get the Schatz case's DA on camera clearly blaming TTUAC & the Pearls but the AC360 reporter ___ Tuchman (sorry, don't know his first name) actually went to TN to interview Mike & Debi, who don't come off very well. About half the piece is directly focused on the Pearls and TTUAC.

Mike Pearl actually says on camera that they "looked into" the Lydia Schatz case but didn't think their "ministry" had anything to do with it. At least he didn't have the audacity to use his speech about laughing at his critics.

NB: they have some heart-breaking excerpts from 911 tapes with the surviving daughter talking about where she'd been beaten by the Schatzes.

Anderson Cooper has done a great job.

Do you remember when Michael Pearl wrote a letter talking about Children & Family Services (I am not sure of the appropriate name in TN) visiting them at Cane Creek because someone went to one of their conferences and then reported them to the authorities? He kept referring to the women who reported them as "damsels." Michael, if your theories on child rearing had any merit AND you were such a good Christian, you shouldn't have to resort to name calling of your enemies to defend it. What an ignorant man. And I am not name calling. I mean that literally.

Too bad Mike & Debi can't be spanked for every foul thing they've said.

If a 7-year-old boy can receive 10-15 "licks" from a belt, wood spoon or plumbing supply line, how many licks should 60+ Mike & Debi Pearl receive? 600 - 900? Do you think they'd learn then not say awful things?

600-900 would unfortunately be lethal, and Death is too good a teacher for them.

I'd feel better if they were locked up an made to answer for their crimes against children in court.

I think that having a mainstream, high profile news guy like Anderson Cooper do this story is very important. It gets to the very heart of FJism. I think that our core purpose is to expose the fundamentalist lifestyle for what it truly is.

These people are not cute, wholesome, quirky Christians who live clean and perfect lives. The Duggars are not an example of perfect Christian living that you (heathens) are not expected to emulate (because you are not worthy). These people are examples of wolves in sheep's clothing. They practice a lifestyle that enforces breaking the will of each human being so that they become emotionally in bondage, eslaved. They teach their children to smile and be happy on the outside no matter what is going on on the inside. (Because the only thing going on inside a person is Satan trying to take over). It discourages thought and creativity and replaces it with repetition and servitude. I teaches that although the birth of a newborn is a blessing, it glosses over that the "blessing" is considered a worthless sinner evidenced by crying out immediately after taking its first breath. And that sin nature must be beaten out of each and every one of them.

These people teach that women are the agents of satan by the simple fact of their gender. Men are in the image of god. They are sinners as well, of course. However, the job of the wife is to redeem herself by creating a home that is so perfect in the eyes of the lord that each man will find the path to the lord. He has no responsibility to do this on his own. He must be passively led down the path by the talent of his wife to sprinkle the godly path with pleasing foods, clean clothing, arrows for his quiver, unquestioning reverence and perfect sex. Women have the responsibility of making that path so perfect that the hapless man can make no other choice but to follow it. If the man chooses another path, then the woman has failed to make the godly way irresistable.

:puke-front:

I don't think I can handle watching this...you guys are brave. But I'm really glad these psychos are finally being exposed. Truly, TTUAC is the only book that has ever made me question my commitment to free speech.

I don't think I can handle watching this...you guys are brave. But I'm really glad these psychos are finally being exposed. Truly, TTUAC is the only book that has ever made me question my commitment to free speech.

I don't think they (or others) should have a right to publish material like this when it so blatantly argues for the destruction of children and turns their own parents, who are supposed to be protecting them, against them. The book's sole purpose is do harm.

Yeah, Mr. Dog-beater Dobson is not that much better than the Pearls IMO.

I checked the Facebook page for No Greater Joy and there's nothing, nada, zero response. The last time he was possibly going to be interviewed for TV they had a Note on their wall to "Pray for Michael Pearl". I think they finally realize that they aren't going to be able to laugh this one off and are just hoping not to draw attention to the interview.

What's with the dog-beater Dobson story? Haven't heard that one.

One of my childhood friend's father used to say (frequently) - kids and dogs, same training, Beat them hard and love them lots.

My dad beat our dog to death when I was about 6. Kids got beaten with a variety of implements but we survived.

I don't remember a Pearls book in our house but there was lots and lots of Dobson. To date that man's voice makes me feel sick.

Saw part of the story on AC. Heartbreaking, and panic-inducing. Those kids, how will they ever recover?

Did the Duggars ever have any association with the Pearls? Like link to their site or books in their original website before TLC cleaned it all up to protect their image? Because if it did, it definately needs to be brought to light to show the true, not perfect side of the Duggars.

Just watched the video and that made me feel sick. Those poor little girls. Michael Pearl needs a taste of his own medicine.

@ formergothardite; Yes I do believe that the Duggars did used to have links to the Pearls books some time back. I think that was before they had the 'corporate makeover' by TLC.

I'm so glad that Anderson Cooper is putting the Pearl's methods on television like this, showing the world exactly how horrible their 'training a child' methods really are. Apparently Barnes&Noble doesn't sell the book in their stores anymore.

Archived