IGNORED

Pearls on Anderson Cooper

mstee

I think that would actually be grounds to arrest them. If there were emails or something where the Pearls encouraged the parents to whip the girls, I see it as encouragement to commit the crime. I had jury duty last week, and the prosecutors made sure to point out that "aiding, facilitating, encouraging, etc" (I don't remember the exact words) is legally the same as committing the crime yourself. So if I said "Hey, you should go steal the stereo from that car", then I could be punished for breaking into that car and stealing the stereo even though I didn't do it.

Now I'm not a law expert by any means, so I don't know if it could happen, but I would love to see this same logic applied to the Pearls and their teachings.

I'm a prosecutor which is why I wonder how far they looked. I may send an email tomorrow... If they have ANY reason to believe that the Pearls were contacted they most certainly can get a SW and seize their computers. It also crosses state lines and could be something to bring the feds in on (OH THE PERSECUTION!!!). Based on what A/C said it sounds like the family had "trouble" with their disobediant adoptees and may have reached out. Its worth a thought!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a prosecutor which is why I wonder how far they looked. I may send an email tomorrow... If they have ANY reason to believe that the Pearls were contacted they most certainly can get a SW and seize their computers. It also crosses state lines and could be something to bring the feds in on (OH THE PERSECUTION!!!). Based on what A/C said it sounds like the family had "trouble" with their disobediant adoptees and may have reached out. Its worth a thought!

That would be amazing. Maybe I'll email too and ask them to look into it. Even just a search warrant could turn up evidence of other abuse or something. If there's any possibility the Pearls could be held accountable for their part in the abuse, it's worth it.

I'm hoping the prosecutor has some plans he didn't want to blab on TV.

Maybe getting more info from us, and encouraging AC to continue investigating, and to quote the part of the book about not stopping the beating, can lead to prosecution.

edited for riffle.

Again, high marks to Anderson Cooper & team for Part 2. These videos may not have or be everything we'd want to see but they're a hell of a lot more than sound bites, and they allow the Pearls' loathsome words to speak for themselves.

Anyone catch Michael's bragging statement about how well his kids turned out? Maybe Anderson should do a follow up with teh nest of crazy that is the Anast residence.

this philosophy is not limited to fundies. My step-father was an alcoholic with no religious tendencies, but could wield that belt and leave welts from waist to knees for mumbling under your breath, along with a zillion other rules.... and yes, he did it with the same goal - to break the will of the child

I'm not happy that AC keeps setting up the segment by saying something like "the question is, are some parents taking it too far by misusing or misinterpreting it."

No, the problem is that they are doing just what Pearl and his vicious ilk say to do.

Hoping the segment will satisfy.

IFB, "breaking the will of the child," continuing until child is docile, 15-minute beatings, brainwashing, being completely submissive, were all just mentioned by the woman who was raised with this crap -- good for her!

She sort of explains how they think they don't think it applies to them because they assume the parents who kill have "lost control."

Her site is freedomfromabuse.net.

Edited to add her name - Jocelyn Zichterman

We've talked about her fight against abuse in IFB churches before, I think.

Warning: potential adult concepts ahead - proceed with caution ...

To take this in a completely strange direction, this sounds like they're training children, from a baby up, to find comfort in a sort of "sub-space," like someone who chooses to have D/s relations. I've read a lot about the emotional aspects of being a "sub" and the things I researched said that there is definitely a release to be totally taken out of control of a situation and not have any choice in things, therefore not have to worry about anything. (To clarify - participants would, of course, be adults who want to free themselves of the everyday stresses & responsibilities of their lives.)

To do this to someone that is not able to have a say in the original process, however, is completely inappropriate and horrifying.

This has been pointed out by at least one other person that I know of. That person speculated that if somebody had just taken Michael Pearl aside many years ago, explained D/s to him, and assured him that his kink, while okay, was a minority taste for consenting adults only--then maybe he wouldn't have felt compelled to remake the whole world into his image starting with helpless, powerless children. Or maybe he just gets off on tormenting little kids.

HOWEVER. While this may be an enlightening avenue of thought, it isn't the best avenue to use when trying to explain the connection between the Pearls and so much misery and death to people who have never heard of them before. It would be best to concentrate specifically on cause and effect, cite the actual quotes from TTUAC that

predicted the death of Lydia Schatz, and describe the documented mindset of the religious groups that have embraced the Pearls' horrible doctrines, with citations as well.

Watching AC -- so glad they are doing another piece with Jocelyn Zichterman and continuing this story. I think our emails and posts helped!

I wish that Butte Co. DA could go forward in getting the Pearls but being realistic, even if he wanted to, Butte County is broke and funds are not available.

I so want this to go viral. A liberal website THE RAW STORY has picked it up so at least it is being exposed to more people.

Did anyone else notice that the surviving sister had soiled underwear in the shots they showed of her legs? How utterly humiliating. Not only is she being beaten, she either can no longer control her bodily functions, or isn't allowed to go to the bathroom to relieve herself in time.

For biting while breastfeeding, my pediatrician said to press my son's face against my breast so that he couldn't breathe, making him let go. It was painful enough having him bite me, but pulling him off while still biting was horrible. He still does it when he gets mad, but he's 27 months old, so he knows what he's doing and isn't clueless. I'm hoping that once his language skills get better he won't act out violently when he's angry/frustrated (hitting, biting, etc.) Sometimes he bites me when he's falling asleep and his jaw closes, or whatever, and I shout "Ow!" It startles him awake and he stops. Those instances I can understand (I've actually bitten the sides of my own tongue when I was asleep, strangely enough), but the biting because he's mad and knows it hurts me are not cool.

Did anyone else notice that the surviving sister had soiled underwear in the shots they showed of her legs? How utterly humiliating. Not only is she being beaten, she either can no longer control her bodily functions, or isn't allowed to go to the bathroom to relieve herself in time.

For biting while breastfeeding, my pediatrician said to press my son's face against my breast so that he couldn't breathe, making him let go. It was painful enough having him bite me, but pulling him off while still biting was horrible. He still does it when he gets mad, but he's 27 months old, so he knows what he's doing and isn't clueless. I'm hoping that once his language skills get better he won't act out violently when he's angry/frustrated (hitting, biting, etc.) Sometimes he bites me when he's falling asleep and his jaw closes, or whatever, and I shout "Ow!" It startles him awake and he stops. Those instances I can understand (I've actually bitten the sides of my own tongue when I was asleep, strangely enough), but the biting because he's mad and knows it hurts me are not cool.

My son did the same thing. Boy does it hurt when they get a few teeth! My Dr told me to put my fingers on either side of his face, so thumb on one side and second finger on the other side, and squeeze gently at the hinge of the jaw where the big muscles are. You can do it to yourself and see that it works. Clench your teeth, then squeeze on either side, where the muscles bulge. A slight amount of pressure makes the muscles automatically loosen.

On topic. The Pearls make me feel physically sick. Michael reminds me of a friend's ex. He kept his wife and six kids inside a self sufficient compound. They weren't allowed to go any where without him in case they became 'corrupted.' He once told my Dad (we met them through a homeschool group) that his youngest son was 'pure evil.' He also described beating him with a broom until it broke, trying to 'break him'. Now days those kids are anything but happy, calm or successful. They're broken, just not in the way their father wanted. Their mother got them and herself out and they're all undergoing extensive therapy, but they've missed out on the calm, safe childhood that every child should have a right to.

I was glad that AC did the series but thought he could have asked MUCH harder questions.

He presented it as shocking that the Pearls believe a spanking is supposed to cause pain. I think most parents who spank believe this--why else would they be doing it?

There are tons of quotes from the Pearls' website that could have revealed their sadistic practices--whipping infants, ritualized humiliation, sitting on kids, continually beating them until they are "broken", etc. AC tried to make the Pearls shocking because they were trying to inflict pain--unfortunately, that will not be disturbing to many parents. And that "whipping" he gave AC seemed like nothing he described in his book--it looked like he was using a straw, anyway. Why not give him a few licks with the plumbing line?

I also wrote to CNN thanking them for the series--it looks like our emails may have helped!

If there is probable cause that the Pearls may have gotten correspondence from the Schatz', then I believe they could get a search warrant and take the Pearls' computers. That would really piss the Pearls off.

Edited to correct typo.

Sort of OT.... Do Gabe and Rebecca Anast keep a blog?

They run a forum 7xSunday. There is some scary stuff there.

AC giggling was SO FREAKING FUNNY!!!! I have had some major loves for AC since he hosted "The Mole." Yummy!

ETA: Thanks so much, Lillybee! Appreciate it. I always find that 7xsunday site to be difficult to navigate, though... I'll try again. :)

Bizarre comment on the Pearls/Anasts at ThatMom's blog today (thatmom.com/2011/08/18/michael-pearls-thoughts-on-a-wifes-duty-to-a-child-molesting-husband/#comments). ThatMom posted on Michael Pearl's advice to a wife whose husband has molested their children. Here's an excerpt from the strange comment:

"I will not say anything one way or another about what M. Pearl is saying. With what I share, please keep two things in mind about me: I am an author who exposed my issues with “Created to be His Helpmeet†last year. My book is “Uncovered No More, clothed by Godâ€. I equally exposed Rebekah (Pearl) Anast and her husband Gabe because I was on their board, 7xSunday, and polygamy was discussed in a way that was not balanced on that site in late 2008 and into 2009. But I will not condemn the Pearl family as I see many within Christianity doing. It is the same with people like Stacy McDonald. I will not condemn them because I feel it is as if we are confining them to hell with some of the writing I have seen taking place. I pray for these ministers, and I hope for a better day within Christianity."

Clearly, the commenter is about as nuts as the Pearls & the Anasts although even she had problems with the polygamy promotion over at 7 X Crazy.

Whassup with the plyg talk at 7xSunday? I've been haunting for a while at the board and never heard anything about that.

I named dropped Gabe and Rebekah and the insanity that is 7x Sunday when I emailed about this show.

Neither of my posts on the cnn site made it past moderation and both were VERY reasonable. My email to amazon returned a "thank you for your input" reply.

I was not impressed with the story last night. He cut her off just when they got to the meat!

Archived