IGNORED

Pearls on Anderson Cooper

mstee

Years ago, must have been 8 or so, I belonged to a forum called CMOMB (Christian Moms Of Many Blessings). This was before the TLC show, but Michelle was already a well known figure amongst the QFers. She came and did a guest chat and one of the things she talked about was blanket training. She used flexible rulers and talked about luring the baby off of the blanket and then swatting them with the ruler when they took the bait. The purpose was so that mom could visit with friends, have a phone conversation or go visiting and baby would stay put and quiet. After that chat flexible rulers were the thing, but at that time they weren't at every office supply and warehouse store, so there were lots of posts like "I found them at XYZ for $1.25, how many do you want me to pick up?!" When the TLC specials started airing and the interest in just how exactly they blanket trained babies was heating up I went to try to find a copy of the chat. I found it, but everything about spanking/hitting kids was deleted, as was any reference to Michelle in the flexible ruler threads. They circled the wagons around Michelle pretty fast.

So, in other words she put her baby on the blanket, and coerced the baby to come off the blanket so she she could hit her baby with the ruler so the baby will learn to stay on the blanket. Wow, that is fucked-up.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every GOOD animal trainer will teach that the proper way to train an animal is through positive reinforcement.

Buzzard, I love you!

Yep, and animals never grow to the point of using human language or (as far as we know!) understanding abstract concepts. How much more opportunity there is to please children by guiding them gently towards the right choice, then rewarding that choice.

For a baby, it can be "the toys only appear when you're on the blanket," for an older child it can be the joy of knowing they have done what is moral. And, on the way, it can be everything in between.

Of course, positive reinforcement works best if it keeps up with the rewardee's interests and desires. The Pearls only have the imagination to "graduate" from smaller beating implements to larger ones. Keeping track of what a child might find rewarding is more work.

And what if the child desires something sinful like a doctor kit for a girl, or a toy dinosaur, or a bit of trust and freedom? Gasp.

edited to clarify a pronoun

So there is a Pearl type "blanket training?" Isn't that what Melanie Maxwell does with Abigail...give her blanket time? Do you think they employ the Pearl's beatings on those girls?!?!
I can't recall the Maxwells posting about specific corporal punishments as part of their "consequences," but I do recall them talking about spanking. I don't know if that means the more "normal" sort of spanking over the knee with a bare hand, or what.

HOWEVER. They have indeed posted about "blanket time" with Abigail, which as far as I know was pretty much blanket training, yeah. She sits on her blanket and quietly plays. I do not know if they hit her if she strays, or if they do a more sane thing like just putting her back on the blanket, or what. But when I heard the blanket time thing I too was reminded of the other references.

FWIW, on some old threads of the MOTHboards that were found via the Internet Wayback Machine, people talk about an item on their schedules called "room time" which is apparently sending your kids to their rooms for some quiet time every day, alone, so they learn to amuse themselves quietly and Mom gets a rest. That seemed like an older version of "blanket time," and some parents with younger kids were having trouble getting their kids to do it, whereupon the advice was to start small and ramp up.

Additionally I remember reading a bunch of things on the Pearls' methods on various blogs just surfing around, and remember a family who posted about how they insist their kids learn to sit utterly still and quiet for an hour or more at a time (and this was SMALL KIDS, kindergarten type ages included). Dad would call for this "quiet time" and the kids had to line up on the sofa and sit there, utterly still, for an HOUR. Just because. No noise, no fidgeting, no book to read, nothing. Now that I'm recalling it, I wonder if it might have been the Maxwells, actually, but I'm thinking not. Anyway, I cannot imagine myself at that age EVER managing that, and I was the sort of kid who would happily sit and READ quietly for hours.

And what if the child desires something sinful like a doctor kit for a girl, or a toy dinosaur, or a bit of trust and freedom? Gasp

Furiously quote the bible and hit them with it a bunch of times until they curl up in a ball and confess that they are evil.

I have a VERY dumb dog. He's adorable and snuggly and sweet as pie but DUMB DUMB DUMB. The only way I could teach his dumb butt his name was to say it and give him a treat when he looked at me. Same went for sit, stay, down, dont touch, come, go upstairs, STFU (yes thats really a command)... He's a very good boy and still runs into the sliding glass door atleast once a week.

So... lets apply what we've learned from this exceptionally loving and stupid animal and apply it to an exceptionally loving and intelligent human child. Babies like interaction. Babies like smiles. Babies like people saying "YAAAAAAY" and clapping. Put baby on blanket. Wait for baby to go off blanket. Put baby on blanket and clap and say "YAAAYYYY". Repeat. For older babies, give baby cookie and put on blanket. Take cookie/toy away when baby leaves blanket. Eventually baby learns blanket = cookie/toy "YAAAAAAY!"

This is not rocket science you fucking child abusing ass holes.

BTW - I'm having a pissy day. I'm pretty sure I've said "fuck" in every post today atleast once...

BTW - I'm having a pissy day. I'm pretty sure I've said "fuck" in every post today atleast once...

Ack, I know how you feel. I'm feeling out of sorts myself. I can't get the Anderson Cooper report last night out of my head. I knew most of the details, but I had never actually looked up any of these people (either the people who beat her to death or the Pearls) and I had never seen the photos of her injuries. It's just so. . . disturbing - I can't really explain it.

Ack, I know how you feel. I'm feeling out of sorts myself. I can't get the Anderson Cooper report last night out of my head. I knew most of the details, but I had never actually looked up any of these people (either the people who beat her to death or the Pearls) and I had never seen the photos of her injuries. It's just so. . . disturbing - I can't really explain it.

The story and the pictures dont bother me. Thats just "tuesday" in my world. Its the inability to fix something identified as a problem. Usually I can use my magical sledgehammer and smash things that get in my way but today there were 4 unsmashables... until tomorrow when I find a way to smash them...

I'm glad A/C is looking at this. I hope he continues to do so. I'd love Nancy Grace (ack! I've invoked her name!) to really get on board with this... thinking... wheels turning...

The story and the pictures dont bother me. Thats just "tuesday" in my world. Its the inability to fix something identified as a problem. Usually I can use my magical sledgehammer and smash things that get in my way but today there were 4 unsmashables... until tomorrow when I find a way to smash them...

I'm glad A/C is looking at this. I hope he continues to do so. I'd love Nancy Grace (ack! I've invoked her name!) to really get on board with this... thinking... wheels turning...

Ooh, I would love to watch Michael Pearl call Nancy a "damsel" to her face and insult her! She'll explode and rip him a new one! Wonder what he'd do?!

I commented, but it's still in moderation. What's up with that? the story is showing 0 comments.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the comments. Maybe too many to work through? I assume this story got quite a response.

Oh, I'm absolutely thrilled that A/C is looking at this. I hope the producers realize that these two reports have barely scratched the surface and they will look into this whole dominionist/extremist/abusive movement. All of these people who beat their kids regularly and brag about it. The sexual abuse that these churches look the other way on. The young women with no determinism, the hell houses for "re-education" of the girls who don't line up exactly as they're "supposed to".

Yeah, and bring on Nancy Grace. I'd actually watch her if she dug into this.

I just watched the first segment. Disgusting beyond belief. Please, please, please can these two end up in prison?

Sitting on the front of the tractor, wearing clearly dirty everyday clothes didn't help their argument one iota. Hicks all the way down.

Right now, they have a promotion with amazon.com offering 25% off purchases from the Pearl's websites, and from "Bulk Herb Store", which is run by one of the Pearls' daughters.

The link is: duggarfamily.com/content/amazon_blitz

Here is the description of the Pearls' website, from duggarfamily.com's "Amazon Blitz" promotion:

I also noticed from 2005 until the last website makeover, they linked to "Dr" SM Davis, who is another one who promotes spanking and also wifely submission and is big among many ATI families.

Here are the archived link pages from July 2008:

http://web.archive.org/web/200807250249 ... inks3.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200808200347 ... inks1.html

The Gothard & VF promotion is also much more obvious there.

That link to the Duggar page is definitely worth taking a screen shot of. Click, click, click...

Can a book actually be banned in the US? This one seems like a good place to start. I'd show up for a public book burning even.

I posted a comment 24 hours ago and it's still not showing. Wonder what the deal is? But I also emailed and dusted off my thrice-used twitter account to give AC a shout out! And now I'm off to watch part 2 online, and hope I can stomach it. I'm still feeling traumatized from part 1. I feel your pain, Austin.

According to AC's show, TTUAC has sold over 650,000 copies.

That's written on the Pearl's website somewhere.

Can a book actually be banned in the US? This one seems like a good place to start. I'd show up for a public book burning even.

I'm normally the "burning books leads to burning people!" types, but if this means the Pearls themselves get roasted over an open fire aong with their books... :twisted:

It's possible for a book to be banned in the US, but it's really, really difficult nowadays, since any Tom, Dick, or Harry who wants to read something can simply go to the Supreme Court, which has no problem telling the gov't to STFU&GTFO on First Amendment matters. Anyway I haven't heard of the feds banning books recently, the banning/burning is always on the local level.

Edited because evidently my fingers fail at history, the feds HAVE banned books before, just simply not particularly recently, AFAIK.

I don't believe in banning or burning books, but for this one I'm willing to make an exception.

anyone see the second show yet?

Just watched it. The Pearls are unapologetic, accept no blame, and insist that they beat their children out of love. Michael even goes so far as to say that he's never encountered a happy, creative, satisfied person who wasn't spanked as a child (and he describes the difference between hitting (done with a hand) and spanking (done with an implement). He insists that spanking is not hitting. This is something I'll never swallow from anyone, even those who do not take spanking to the extreme. Spanking = hitting = violence, no matter how you try to spin it.

He gets a small switch and demonstrates on Tuchman's leg how he would spank. I call total bullshit. He didn't hit him that hard (though Tuchman said it hurt), and only a few times. I think Tuchman should've been allowed to reciprocate with some plumbing line on the bottom of Michael's feet, personally.

The DA is quoted again, blaming the Pearls. But when asked if he ever considered bringing a suit against them, he said he couldn't because of their 1st amendment rights. But he makes it quite clear how he feels about that.

ETA - oh, and when beating babies is mentioned, Debi gives some cop-out about "gently" pulling a baby's hair if they bit her while nursing. Again, I call bullshit. We know it wasn't gentle, and we know that's not the only baby-beating they advocate.

And Michael brags about how well his children are doing. Hmmm, funny how that one daughter isn't mentioned...

You can't gently pull hair and still get the kid's attention.

I just stop breastfeeding them immediately when they bite. It only takes them a few times to figure out that nursing and biting do not go together.

eta: Michael pearl and I obviously have different measures of success in children. I view no education/no productive work/etc as parenting fail.

You can't gently pull hair and still get the kid's attention.

I just stop breastfeeding them immediately when they bite. It only takes them a few times to figure out that nursing and biting do not go together.

eta: Michael pearl and I obviously have different measures of success in children. I view no education/no productive work/etc as parenting fail.

Um, yeah. My daughter tried to use my nipple as her teething ring quite a bit. Taking her off the boob, and occasionally even putting her down and ignoring her for a minute, worked just fine for us. I would never have dreamed of pulling her hair, ear, or inflicting any kind of pain on her.

And Michael brags about how well his children are doing. Hmmm, funny how that one daughter isn't mentioned...

What 'one daughter'? The one who was beaten every day for 2 weeks at 5 years old for lying to cover her butt (probably literally)? Or a different one?

For all the talk about the Pearls it seems like there's zero information on their kids... so any info is welcome.

What 'one daughter'? The one who was beaten every day for 2 weeks at 5 years old for lying to cover her butt (probably literally)? Or a different one?

For all the talk about the Pearls it seems like there's zero information on their kids... so any info is welcome.

Isn't one of their daughters living in extreme poverty, with no heat or anything, and has to run laps around the house with the kids to stay warm? Or am I riffling my fundies?

Archived