IGNORED

Pearls on Anderson Cooper

mstee

I read the whole page where the Pearls commented on the Liberian kids. I didn't see it as racist, just part of a screed about how older, adopted children are damaged goods.

I will say this again. Never adopt children even close to the age of your own. You should be past child bearing age, and your children should be at least 10 to 15 years older than the adopted kids. I don’t think there is any such thing as an orphanage raised child who has not been a participant in sexual perversion. If you are older and your kids are grown, it is a wonderful, full time ministry to adopt foreign kids. You will experience heartache, possibly failure, but you may just save a soul from sure destruction. But if there is failure, at least your kids will not go down with them.

In addition to advocating beating babies, the Pearls believe that all orphans are perverts. What a couple of role models.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, they have a promotion with amazon.com offering 25% off purchases from the Pearl's websites, and from "Bulk Herb Store", which is run by one of the Pearls' daughters.

The link is: duggarfamily.com/content/amazon_blitz

Here is the description of the Pearls' website, from duggarfamily.com's "Amazon Blitz" promotion:

Good catch, Raine! If you scroll down to the bottom of that Amazon Blitz page there's this: For questions on this Amazon Promotion, contact melcohen@hughes.net

Isn't he the Pearls' CFO?

It's a good thing I'm an ethical person.

Otherwise I might be tempted to upload pictures of bruised children's limbs using the Amazon "share your own customer images" link for TTUAC.

Good catch, Raine! If you scroll down to the bottom of that Amazon Blitz page there's this: For questions on this Amazon Promotion, contact melcohen@hughes.net

Isn't he the Pearls' CFO?

Yes, he is. I totally missed that, but I just double checked the emails and it is the same Mel Cohen.

So the Duggars DO still have a connection to the Pearls. I wonder if Anderson cooper would delve into that? It would be interesting to see the Duggars try and dodge questions.

Here's what I don't get about blanket training: They make play pens and baby gates. If I wanted my child to stay a space while I was doing something, why not just put him or her in the play pen? Simple and no one gets hurt.

It makes me wonder if some of these people actually like to harm their children.

Who's spirit gets broken using a playpen? :roll: That's not very fun.

The Pears just want to hurt children. Full Stop.

Do we know what Michael and Debi's childhoods were like? It couldn't have been pretty. Not that a bad childhood excuses any of this....

[

But also there's this weird (to me) focus on not making any changes to your life for your kids - not removing breakables from low tables, but teaching your kids to never touch; not adjusting your schedule so your kids gets lots of exercise and has a regular bedtime so they can sleep well, but teaching them to just go to bed when ordered and be quiet and still even if they can't sleep, etc. It's a point of pride for a lot of folks. And in my life they've all been the "children are a blessing! It's selfish to wait! Now that #1 is in a big boy bed it's time to make another, gotta keep that crib filled!"

Like, kids are great! And also you should get to live your life without regard for them, so you can have more!

I've come across this attitude several times and I dont' understand it. My two youngest are only two years apart. It was difficult to follow an active two year old while nursing her sister, so I put up a lot of my breakable items. My kids never broke items at other people's houses or were destructive. Today, they are teenagers and don't run around breaking items so I don't see how my actions hurt them. But its surprising how many of my friends-especially religious ones- were irked by my decision to take certain items off my table. I never understood their attitude but I know that they took pride in their children's instant obedience.

I am not putting down anyone who takes a lot of time to patiently direct their toddlers attention to other items and teach them what the words, "don't touch.. But that is a different attitude twoard kids than my religious friends who wanted absolute obedience from their kids.

I've come across this attitude several times and I dont' understand it. My two youngest are only two years apart. It was difficult to follow an active two year old while nursing her sister, so I put up a lot of my breakable items. My kids never broke items at other people's houses or were destructive. Today, they are teenagers and don't run around breaking items so I don't see how my actions hurt them. But its surprising how many of my friends-especially religious ones- were irked by my decision to take certain items off my table. I never understood their attitude but I guess that they felt that kids should be taught to obey instantly

I just think underlying it all is this incredibly selfish notion. The philosophy seems to be shit out as many kids as you can and then beat them horribly so that you are not inconvenienced by them whatsoever, all the while claiming children are blessings and gifts from God. It's just so irksome. I can't believe anyone who would do these kinds of things genuinely loves their children. Children are supposed to explore and be loud and messy. If you can't handle it, don't have them. It seems like they want all the "perks" of children but throw their hands up at the first sign of hard work. Their children are like a charm on a bracelet or something to show off as a kind of achievement or credit to the parents and their "Christian" values. It's just so disgusting.

I just watched the video and I am sickened over what happened to these children, especially Lydia. I'm glad the Schatzes are going to prison, but I wish we could send the Pearls to prison, too. What smug, flippant and evil shits these people are. I'm glad Anderson Cooper and Gary Tuchman had the fucking balls to expose these people for the vile and destructive frauds they are.

I wished I could have been it. I wonder if I can find the episode on Hulu. Anyway, AC must have had an impact because the Amazon.com reviews for the "Train" book have been exploding in the last day--all negative, most referring to Lydia's death and most imploring Amazon to stop selling the book.

...my religious friends who wanted absolute obedience from their kids.
Yeah, that's a big part (the only part?) of what the actual tricking level of "blanket training" and the like is about. Your kids are supposed to internalize your rules and obey instantly WITHOUT EVER ASKING WHY. If they ask, or say anything at all really in response, you've failed. (Which is part of why I don't see how it's supposed to work so well when it's Mom making the rules AND Mom doing the tempting, but I suppose they learn that established rules outrank exceptions.)

Personally I find the very concept of training a kid to always blindly "just follow orders" without questioning to be scary as hell, particularly when it's cast as "you must instantly obey any adults from our community." You're removing some healthy self-preservation instincts, there.

Meanwhile Dobson might be less graphic about the beatings (is he?) or just more publicly charismatic but I've unfortunately heard enough of his radio show, and he is every bit as much all about the inborn sin nature of kids and needing to break a kid's will from day 1, everything is a contest of wills with him and the parent MUST win. Even babies crying out in hunger are being rebellious and must be put back in their place under Daddy's iron fist. Again, creepy as HELL. Count me in with the poster upthread who is creeped out just by the man's voice at this point.

Also... beating "under my feet?" That's torture commonly used by various unsavory regimes around the world, well known for its horrific effects. Just completely disgusting.

I had never actually seen the Pearls before today. I can't believe that anyone who has ever heard or seen them would believe them to be good people.

edit for clarity.

And she did that to babies? After enticing them off the blanket?

How does she guarantee that the baby learns "get off the blanket = swat" rather than "come when Mom calls = swat?"

I just think underlying it all is this incredibly selfish notion. The philosophy seems to be shit out as many kids as you can and then beat them horribly so that you are not inconvenienced by them whatsoever, all the while claiming children are blessings and gifts from God. It's just so irksome. I can't believe anyone who would do these kinds of things genuinely loves their children. Children are supposed to explore and be loud and messy. If you can't handle it, don't have them. It seems like they want all the "perks" of children but throw their hands up at the first sign of hard work. Their children are like a charm on a bracelet or something to show off as a kind of achievement or credit to the parents and their "Christian" values. It's just so disgusting.

That. While at the same time claiming that our culture at large just doesn't want to be inconvenienced by children.

I watched the clip during my lunch break, and I am sickened. Those poor, precious little children! It breaks my heart.

Mike and Debi didn't come off all that well, either. Mike showing how hitting with a hand didn't *hurt* enough? Nice. And it was super creepy when he was figuring out how many "licks" for a boy of a certain age, and what implement, etc. That was just sick and creepy.

And Debi looked...slow, I guess, is the nicest way to put it. But seriously, she looks like she has some sort of mental disability. I know you can't tell just by looking in some cases, but...yeah. No way in hell would I take parenting/marriage advice from those two, that's for sure.

How does she guarantee that the baby learns "get off the blanket = swat" rather than "come when Mom calls = swat?"
Or better yet, the babies are supposed to learn that "you do whatever Mom asks you to do, instantly without questioning or complaining at all," okay, but then Mom tricks them off the blanket. How is that not contradictory? It's MOM with the cookie, after all!

100% honest question, that's the part I never did get. Unless Mom puts the cookie down silently and walks away from it, never actually asking the kid to come get it, maybe.

Debi looked like she was having problems managing her face - like she was in the habit of looking adoringly at Michael when he talks, and then she remembers this is a Very Serious topic and she's supposed to look concerned, and then nobody's telling her what to do so she doesn't quite know which emotion to display.

I couldn't believe it when the Pearls actually mentioned plumbing supply line. They said they had followed the case, so I would think they would mention belts, wooden spoons and then leave it at that. Specifically bringing up plumbing supply line just seemed so... arrogant.

I'm sure they thought Debi was being a good, obedient wife to sit there smiling while Michael spoke, but to me it came off as smug. She did speak up and add that the plumbing supply line you use to hit children should be flexible, showing she knows how they were starting to come off in the interview.

I wonder if tonight if they will just stick to the one specific case, or if they will confront them with information from their own blog, or other parents who have been charged with child abuse who followed them.

It's a good thing I'm an ethical person.

Otherwise I might be tempted to upload pictures of bruised children's limbs using the Amazon "share your own customer images" link for TTUAC.

I think you should do it BECAUSE youre and ethical person!

Please comment/tweet/email AC for covering this story. The story choices are chosen by viewer feedback and ratings. Let them know that we want MORE information about the abusive fucks that are the pearls.

You know, I thought blanket training wasn't a bad idea when I heard it -- easier than a playpen, whatever. But that was when I thought people trained their babies by putting them back on the blanket. You know, like the way I train my cats to stay off the tabletops by endlessly picking them up, saying, "No kitty", and putting them back down on the floor. Over and over and over and over, always gentle, until it takes. Because they're just kittens.

You'd think people could have the same compassion for "just babies". I can't imagine... I really can't imagine what goes on in your head to be able and willing to strike a baby.

Well, I'm not a customer, and I'm happy to say I have no images of children I've beaten by following the book. So it would be lying.

Please comment/tweet/email AC for covering this story. The story choices are chosen by viewer feedback and ratings. Let them know that we want MORE information about the abusive fucks that are the pearls.

Now that I can do, and have done!

So there is a Pearl type "blanket training?" Isn't that what Melanie Maxwell does with Abigail...give her blanket time? Do you think they employ the Pearl's beatings on those girls?!?!

You know, I thought blanket training wasn't a bad idea when I heard it -- easier than a playpen, whatever. But that was when I thought people trained their babies by putting them back on the blanket.

Or, even better, make being on the blanket rewarding and fun, and work on it in age-appropriate increments.

Being kind and showing a child what behavior you DO want to see -- probably a concept that is beyond the Pearls and their "all children are sin-filled" followers.

Fuckers.

Or, even better, make being on the blanket rewarding and fun, and work on it in age-appropriate increments.

Being kind and showing a child what behavior you DO want to see -- probably a concept that is beyond the Pearls and their "all children are sin-filled" followers.

Fuckers.

Every GOOD animal trainer will teach that the proper way to train an animal is through positive reinforcement.

I commented, but it's still in moderation. What's up with that? the story is showing 0 comments.

Archived