IGNORED

Kansas anti-gay bill/Kansas Discrimination MERGED

NotALoserLikeYou

This reminded me of the Maxwells, since we've talked about the legalities of discriminating against gay couples not being allowed in some states (wedding cakes/photography comes to mind) but ok in others (Christopher Maxwell Photography).

slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/02/13/kansas_anti_gay_segregation_bill_is_an_abomination.html

The bill, written out of fear that the state may soon face an Oklahoma-style gay marriage ruling, will now easily pass the Republican Senate and be signed into law by the Republican governor. The result will mark Kansas as the first state, though certainly not the last, to legalize segregation of gay and straight people in virtually every arena of life.

If that sounds overblown, consider the bill itself. When passed, the new law will allow any individual, group, or private business to refuse to serve gay couples if “it would be contrary to their sincerely held religious beliefs.†Private employers can continue to fire gay employees on account of their sexuality. Stores may deny gay couples goods and services because they are gay. Hotels can eject gay couples or deny them entry in the first place. Businesses that provide public accommodations—movie theaters, restaurants—can turn away gay couples at the door. And if a gay couple sues for discrimination, they won’t just lose; they’ll be forced to pay their opponent’s attorney’s fees. As I’ve noted before, anti-gay businesses might as well put out signs alerting gay people that their business isn’t welcome.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to barring all anti-discrimination lawsuits against private employers, the new law permits government employees to deny service to gays in the name of “religious liberty.â€

Any government employee is given explicit permission to discriminate against gay couples—not just county clerks and DMV employees, but literally anyone who works for the state of Kansas. If a gay couple calls the police, an officer may refuse to help them if interacting with a gay couple violates his religious principles. State hospitals can turn away gay couples at the door and deny them treatment with impunity. Gay couples can be banned from public parks, public pools, anything that operates under the aegis of the Kansas state government.

There's a bill in Idaho doing the same thing. Thankfully it's been "sidetracked" at this point. Gives me hope it will never come to fruition. Funny thing is that a Mormon wrote the bill. You'd think someone who is a member of a religion whose adherents have, in the last two hundred years, been driven out of communities not once but twice would be a little more careful about authoring a bill that basically gives you the right to discriminate against people you disagree with theologically.

http://www.idahopress.com/news/state/ho ... f887a.html

I hope that every single gay person in the state of Kansas decides that dealing with straight bigots violate THEIR beliefs and withholds services from them as well. Teachers, doctors, merchants, businesspeople... Life for a whole boatload of self-righteous bigoted Kansans would come to a screeching halt.

So what happens if a business thinks someone is gay but really they are not? Does their "level of gayness" become a question for the court to decide? I'm thinking that in practice this law would be unenforceable and would open up anyone who tries to discriminate on this basis up to massive lawsuits.

Why does it stop at gay people? What if someone's "sincerely held religious beliefs" have them disapprove of black people or interracial marriage? Why shouldn't they also not practice their "sincerely held religious beliefs?"

This is disgraceful.

Why does it stop at gay people? What if someone's "sincerely held religious beliefs" have them disapprove of black people or interracial marriage? Why shouldn't they also not practice their "sincerely held religious beliefs?"

This is disgraceful.

That's basically what the Idaho bill allows for. You can refuse service to someone whose lifestyle offends your faith-based beliefs (as near as I can tell from what I've read). So that could cover gay people, single mothers (sex before marriage or divorce, I guess!), and potentially interracial marriage (concern for that was mentioned when the bill was being heard). If it passes, I'm tempted to "convert" to Seventh Day Adventist and refuse to interact with anyone that eats meat or works on Saturday.

Like my post said I don't give a crap about your faith keep it to yourself. You can get your ass if this was used against a Christian all hell would break loose. The we hate discrimination as long as it is not is.

this quote really shows how they truly feel about people. horrible hurtful unless you are the one dishing it out then it is fine.

"Discrimination is horrible. It’s hurtful … It has no place in civilized society, and that’s precisely why we’re moving this bill," Macheers said. "There have been times throughout history where people have been persecuted for their religious beliefs because they were unpopular. This bill provides a shield of protection for that."

This is not legal and violates not only federal law, but also the U.S. constitution. It will be fought in court and overturned on appeal.

Why do states insist on passing bills they know are illegal? Do the taxpayers enjoy shelling out millions of their hard earned dollars on a lost cause? That's money that can be used for education, infrastructure, emergency responders, etc. It makes no sense. Everyday I loose more and more hope for this country. It's apparently full of idiots.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/us/kansas-bill-same-sex-services/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

They have just got to be kidding. This cannot be legal in any way, shape or form.

Comments on local sites last night said "Champagne corks are popping in attornies homes across the state."

This is but one bill our state is putting forward this year. Others include making divorce harder to get, "tweaking" our already draconian anti abortion laws and I read there may be something about the evils of floridation coming through committee........

Oh, and I'm sure there will be more work toward killling education budgets across the state.

Kansas can already fire people for being gay. It's a right to work state, so an employer can really fire you for no reason, if they want.

All of my maternal ancestors are from Kansas and I have spent a lot of time there. Modern political Kansas is stupid and sucky and it has little or nothing in common with historical political Kansas. My mother and grandparents would weep to see what loud mouthed, bigoted, ignorant, religious wack jobs are doing to their their beloved state, which had a strong libertarian streak not that long ago.

Ray of hope on the horizon, the head of the State Senate in KS has said it is not likely that the bill will pass the Senate.

.reuters.com/article/2014/02/14/us-usa-gaymarriage-kansas-idUSBREA1D1FC20140214

Some of the supporters have been relying on the inane. Here is a link and message one group was recommending people post on their facebook page.

myemail.constantcontact.com/Defend-Our-Legislators.html?soid=1105980875049&aid=TVo_l2IC2X8 Because, everyone knows that Kansas, where in the last couple of years the state pre-emptively passed "antisharia law" laws the state is heavily invested in making sure "Muslim Bakers and Hindu catering staff" are protected.

Kansas is taking the offense

rather than the defense.

The prophet Mohammed and the Holy Koran condemn homosexuality. For anybody to think they have the right to force a Muslim baker or photographer to violate their religious convictions and be forced to attend or participate in a wedding that would blaspheme their religion is not what America is all about. America is about the freedom to praise your religion in peace as long as it is not hurting anyone else.

It's wrong to force people of other religions to actively do things that would violate their beliefs. Muslims must be protected from having to serve pork at a wedding at the threat of losing their catering license. Same for Hindus having to serve meat. Both should have the option of refusing service. As long as there are other suppliers everyone should be free to refuse service

Archived