IGNORED

Michael Bates Courting!

singsingsing

y2ete2u9.jpg

These seem to be the Keilen siblings. They go youngest to oldest, left to right. Amber, Christy, Brandon, Cara, Brent, Becky, Craig, Alison, RJ, and Angie. The parents are Jill and Ron. They go to First Baptist Church of St. John's in Michigan, where Ron is listed as an "elder." The only one who is married is RJ, who has 3 kids, but doesn't look fundie anymore. Some of the other older children don't seem all that fundie either. According to Amber's Facebook, she was home educated.

All of this, I should add, comes from public Facebook pages. Here's another family picture.

7ene2ade.jpg

Craig looks like an Abercrombie model. :jawdrop: Move over JTitsup, there's a new sheriff in town!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am happy for Michaela. I'm glad she isn't being left out of life so she can help care for babies at home. I wish her and Brandon all the best.

I still think that Jana had her eye on someone a couple of years ago and either her Dad said no to her seeing him or their friendship didn't work out. I hope there is joy in her eyes very soon, if either from finding love or doing something that will give her a sense of individual accomplishment.

Craig looks like an Abercrombie model. :jawdrop: Move over JTitsup, there's a new sheriff in town!

Yes, indeed! :D I think my inner cougar just did the happy dance. You have got to praise The Lord for making things like that.

I think that the reason the Bates are marrying off, and not the Duggars so much, is because of their difference in lifestyle.

The Bates have given their kids a relatively "normal" ATI childhood. Homeschooling, caring for littles, mom and dad always home, fellowshipping, etc. There is stability, routine, clear expectations, opportunities for personal growth (piano playing, CD making, etc) While we may not agree with their values, this is an environment where kids can grow into young adults that have the confidence and interest in a relationship with the opposite sex.

In contrast, the Duggar kids have grown up in a very unhealthy, stressful environment, and I can't see that there's been any effort to help them cope with it. Since the older girls were about 12, they have been on the road on that bus filled with tons of people, including lots of babies. They don't have time for normal experiences. Instead of giggling with their big sister in their room at night, they are trying to change a screaming toddler on a bumpy bus. They have been trotted out at events and made to smile and -- most importantly -- watched their parents lie about things in order to promote their "brand."

All of this stuff is going to stress those older kids, and can't be good for them. I think that is stopping them from making the step into adulthood. I"m not saying they'll never make it, I'm saying that they are late, because whatever you need to do in your late teen years, they haven't done yet.

Congrats Michael! That makes what, three Bates, and only one married and one courting Duggar? Boob better step up his game. Gil actually wants his kids to live normal lives. Can't say the same for Boob and Mullet.

He looks very sweet, hot and handsome is streaching it I think.

I feel weird being this happy for a young woman I don't know at all, but I seriously am. It might be her own choice but she never seemd to be the "featured child", but always in the background making sure everything was running smoothly, so that everyone else was free to go on trips, dabble in music, etc.

Anyway, this was happy news, congrats Michael!

Oh I agree, he is handsome and sweet but his oldest brother RJ is hot. Like if I wasn't married and I saw him in a bar I would make out with his hot.

Interesting tidbit from Kelly. Poster asked whether the middle girls are more involved now in helping around the house, to which Kelly responded with the following (bolding mine):

Dear Alexis,

Its amazing how the younger kids step up to help when the older ones aren’t around. When they’re all at home, I’ve often made the mistake of calling on the older kids because things get done quickly and smoothly. Unfortunately, that often leaves younger kids not getting the training and character development. When the older kids began working, traveling, and being away from home more, it helped me realize I needed to work more with the younger kids. That ended up being a blessing! It also has given more bonding time! But of course, the older ones are missed when they’re not here and the house seems much more empty! Love, Kelly

Go Michael!! I hope she's happy. After watching her younger sisters get into courtships I worried that she would be a SAHD forever.

Bates Family: 2 weddings, 2 courtships

Duggars: 1 wedding, 1 courtship.

Time to catch up!

But, the Duggars have 3 grandchildren--maybe gives them extra points :dance:

Interesting tidbit from Kelly. Poster asked whether the middle girls are more involved now in helping around the house, to which Kelly responded with the following (bolding mine):

Glad Kelly was honest and admitted she did rely too much on the older kids. That says a lot about Kelly.

So this family is ATI? And at least some of the kids are (although probably not the sisters in the sleeveless tops). 10 adult children, 7 of whom are 25 & older, and only ONE of them is married? All these fundie families with multiple single, grown-up offspring living at home, perpetual children in a culture where the only path to adulthood is marriage and chronic reproduction. I give this lifestyle one more generation, tops.

I give this lifestyle one more generation, tops.

I hope you're right. I hope the Bates sons follow Zach's example and begin looking in the regular world around them for future mates and quite possibly a path out of the ridiculous.

Forget the Duggars, the Maxwell's should take a "lesson" from the Bates. Maybe if they'd (Steve) would stop being so scared of those around them, the "children" might actually develop relationships and marry. Sorry Steve, spouses do not simply "drop" out of the sky at your doorstop. You've got to make an effort. And that means letting your "children" meet people under the age of 70.

I hope you're right. I hope the Bates sons follow Zach's example and begin looking in the regular world around them for future mates and quite possibly a path out of the ridiculous.

I found it encouraging that Zach found his mate at a local Sonic, outside of fundiedom. It probably didn't sit well with his parents but in the end he wound up very happy and married and his brothers are going to see that. Though wonder if his parents sending some of the Bates kids to the Duggars was a shot at getting at seeing if a courtship can take hold. I am not convinced that Gil and Kelly are totally happy that Zach found someone who was not fundie but their circle is small. That limits the chances of finding someone who is acceptably fundie.

I wondered about that. I figured she might choose to have a very small wedding when her time comes, like just their immediate families. But hey, if them and Alyssa and John get engaged at the same time, they could do a double wedding! Let Alyssa have more of a spotlight, and Michaela more behind the scenes. Well, we'll see what happens.

And about Jessa, didn't Jimbob say Ben was the first out of the "potential suitors" to have a ministry mindset? Probably the other guys who showed interest in any of the Duggar daughters are just testing them, or "weirdos" as one of them said. Or the other young men discussed here like the Staddon brothers and the 2 of-age Wissmann brothers, and the other Waller brothers, aren't really into having cameras following them. JMO. Then again, with Jill desiring to go back to South America, and going to Nepal, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with a man of another race. We'll see.

Are you kidding? The Nepalese and Central American people that Jill interacts with are "mission opportunities", not people, to the Duggars.

I can see Jill marrying an IFB "missionary" a d running maternity clinics in the third world, but she'll never marry one of the "sweet local people" she ministers to.

I wondered about that. I figured she might choose to have a very small wedding when her time comes, like just their immediate families. But hey, if them and Alyssa and John get engaged at the same time, they could do a double wedding! Let Alyssa have more of a spotlight, and Michaela more behind the scenes. Well, we'll see what happens.

Don't forget that for them, a "small" wedding means at least 200-300 people, and "immediate" family (does that include aunts, uncles, cousins?) would likely still be around 100 with all those kids. I was anxious about 85 at my own!

I seriously doubt Alyssa would agree to a double wedding, she seems more similar to Erin, wanting to be the princess for the day.

I found it encouraging that Zach found his mate at a local Sonic, outside of fundiedom. It probably didn't sit well with his parents but in the end he wound up very happy and married and his brothers are going to see that. Though wonder if his parents sending some of the Bates kids to the Duggars was a shot at getting at seeing if a courtship can take hold. I am not convinced that Gil and Kelly are totally happy that Zach found someone who was not fundie but their circle is small. That limits the chances of finding someone who is acceptably fundie.

Canuck here. What is Sonic? A restaurant?

Here's a little "history" with Brandon's fam. and the Bates fam from the GilBatesfamily.:

Nicole Pelkey August 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Oh, and that watermelon carving is AMAZING!!!!! Did they do that themselves??? WOW!

Gil August 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Dear Nicole,

Brandon Keilen carved the watermelon. love, Kelly

Canuck here. What is Sonic? A restaurant?

The best place ever for an old school hamburger and a nice icy cold coca cola :-)

Judging from the absolute dearth of photos, posts or comments from Kelly re Zach and Whitney's wedding, I'd say they aren't too thrilled with her background. However the two seem head over heels and Zach looks so much healthier and happier post marriage. Whit will be good for him if she is allowed to be herself...a bit independent and Fundie lite.

I saw this earlier this morning so I raced over to the blog. I couldn't believe it was true. I, like others, am very happy for her.

Hopefully, since the families have known each other a long while, Michael has gotten very comfortable with the family so she can be herself. I hope she doesn't rush into anything she doesn't want, but I do wish her well.

I find Chad creepy looking, mostly because his doppelganger is Paul Ryan. I think Michael and Brandon are both average looking.

For people who despise same-sex marriage, I can't wait to see the engagement/wedding announcement:

Mr. and Mrs. Gil Bates and Mr. and Mrs. Ron Keilen announce the engagement of their children, Michael and Brandon

:happy-jumpeveryone:

Craig Kielen and Nathan Bates. Mmmmmmm. Defrauding.

Archived