IGNORED

Jahi McMath case in California

bionicmlle

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when I have to dissect something for A+P All I have to do is put Vapor Rub under my nose?

The police in the town I used to live in used the Vapo-Rub method when they had to deal with certain unpleasant situations. They said it worked very well for them. This was a small town with a six bed hospital and everybody knew everybody so we chatted a lot with the police as their building was next to the hospital. (I worked at the hospital) They also told us that they and the fire department would ALWAYS respond to a dog stuck on ice in our lake because if they failed to, sooner or later they would be responding to a human or humans out on the lake who were trying to rescue the dog. It was best to just go ahead and rescue the dog before it escalated. No dog or other animal was ever left to fend for themselves, thankfully.

According to television, Vicks-Vapor-Rub under one's nose will keep one from smelling death. So if she is still being held captive somewhere, I highly doubt anyone is without the vapor rub. I am beginning to suspect she is actually dead (heart stopped beating dead) and it's becoming like Psycho. They will have her sitting up in a chair in the attic.

Someone has got to spill the beans eventually about where this child's corpse is located.....

Maybe Doug Phillips is hiding out there also!

Perhaps foolishly, I keep expecting someone to leak some real information. Maybe after she's finally buried some of the facts will come out. I'm morbidly fascinated with this saga.

Apparently, Jahi's aunt dona chatman saw the money coming in via Gofundme and thought "I could use some of that" and set up a Gofundme site for her daughters college expenses... and was met with some pretty negative reactions so she had to take it down for Jahi's safety...???(per her public facebook)

Yeah right, for Jahi's safety. Couldn't be that her venality was exposed for all to see and mock.

Yeah right, for Jahi's safety. Couldn't be that her venality was exposed for all to see and mock.

It strikes me as sad that someone had to point out that leeching off Jahi's situation was wrong.....these people

are looking for pay-out. Social security disability, lawsuit, the generosity of strangers....as long as the dough keeps

rolling in, they are for it.

Apparently, Jahi's aunt dona chatman saw the money coming in via Gofundme and thought "I could use some of that" and set up a Gofundme site for her daughters college expenses... and was met with some pretty negative reactions so she had to take it down for Jahi's safety...???(per her public facebook)

It sort of goes back to the money side of all this.

She also reasures people that jahi is getting better, but she can't give details...

That's disgusting....I just can't...

According to television, Vicks-Vapor-Rub under one's nose will keep one from smelling death. So if she is still being held captive somewhere, I highly doubt anyone is without the vapor rub. I am beginning to suspect she is actually dead (heart stopped beating dead) and it's becoming like Psycho. They will have her sitting up in a chair in the attic.

I did hear something about another relative trying to cash in with a go fund me. Everyone is doing that now...someone I know in real life set one up to get funds to neuter her rat. Yes, her rat.

Vicks didn't work for me. I remember in nursing school when we were dissecting our cats I tried this to mask the smell. If it didn't mask that, there's no way it would mask a decaying body. I am stunned that her caregivers aren't dry heaving by now.

Surely there are laws against keeping a decomposing body. Even though her heart is beating, she is still dead and rotting away. It must be complete hell for the people working for wherever the family are keeping the body, having to smell a corpse, touch it, and listen to the family talk about her being alive and know this isn't the case.

do they not use formaldehyde to preserve dissecting animals anymore? that's what was used when we did a frog in science class in 1977.

then I had to smell it again in 1986 when I went to college.yuk.

Completely OT, but all this dissection talk is reminding me of the fetal pigs in high school.

I had lunch right after biology and, on that day, they served.....wait for it..... HAM! :o :pink-shock:

Sorry for the totally random post. But I had to share.

do they not use formaldehyde to preserve dissecting animals anymore? that's what was used when we did a frog in science class in 1977.

I work in a lab and we use formaldehyde to preserve 95+% of the animals we dissect.

...I actually love the smell but I'm a weirdo and a science addict.

They were still using it in the mid 90's when I was in school. I hated it, and just the thought of that smell still makes my stomach feel icky. :ew:

Completely OT, but all this dissection talk is reminding me of the fetal pigs in high school.

I had lunch right after biology and, on that day, they served.....wait for it..... HAM! :o :pink-shock:

Sorry for the totally random post. But I had to share.

LOL! oh ,my...at least we never had frog legs for lunch.b/c we dissected...you guessed it. :/

The only coincidence that ever got me was when I had to have a diabetes test and drink that awful orange soda.Then later I was thirsty,and the only thing I could find to drink was...orange soda!

I have to dissect a cat. I have been assured its not as bad as I would think. However, the guy at my table and I agreed, he can do the cutting, I will take notes.

I work in a lab and we use formaldehyde to preserve 95+% of the animals we dissect.

...I actually love the smell but I'm a weirdo and a science addict.

I know it's used, but I know that what we've got in storage is in propylene glycol --I think. (But I"m in education and we have different rules. And a few years ago, the local hospital helped us get all of our stored pieces into less toxic stuff).

(I thought cats were hard...but mine was also very PG--so finding full term kittens was...hard. Actually was harder to deal w/ than cadavers for some of us. :(

That said, it's been almost a year since the last time I had to dissect anything, but after I looked at this yesterday, I got tapped to do 2 unexpected dissections yesterday. I blame FJ for the fact that my pants smelled like preservative and sheep eyeball yesterday)

I hope the cat isn't pregnant. I wonder if I can request a male cat?

I can't stand seeing dead cats on the road... How am I supposed to deal with cutting one open... Or watching someone else do it? Why do I need to cut one open to learn?

FWIW, I'd say 75%+ of the female cats were pregnant--it's just that most of them were smaller than lima beans. Mine was the exception.

Things MAY have changed significantly though--that was 10 years ago, and the protocols were weird for getting animals--the cats were from, basically pounds in Mexico when they had to be put down--none were from the US. I haven't looked into cats recently because I'm usually working w/ k-12 students and I won't subject them to cats--if we do a 'whole' animal (which is currently pretty rare, I mostly have them do parts--because the ethical implications of the heart from a pig that was killed for food are a lot more reasonable for most of them), I make sure it's not a furry pet.

I DO think that you learn something from dissection you don't learn from models and pictures. In these classes you don't see just what the models show--what the models show is the artistic rendition of the 'perfect, typical'--by seeing 5 different hearts dissected, you see how fatty deposits are different from one to another and you figure out that the pulmonary artery isn't a blue line painted on the top--it's a small protrusion and it protrudes differently from one to the other. Bringing the sense of touch into identification is incredible in making things 'click' and stay in the head long term--in a way just using the other senses isn't. And having tomove tissue aside to see something helps with the 3-d imaging in a way models can't.

(that said, I 1-never make someone dissect--it's purely opt-in for the programs I do and 2-never make someone touch something/cut something. Although I may allow peer pressure to convince a kid to touch something they wouldn't otherwise)

(And I'll apologize to all the people who are just checking back hoping for an update. So am I, I'm just the asshole who is bumping the thread for the off-topic discussion)

I think these come from the pound too.

I guess that makes sense, being able to SEE what goes on. Right now I am having a hard time figuring out where body parts are because all I have so far are drawings in the text book.

The teacher did say some of the cats would be pregnant, and told us not to be freaked out by it.

I felt sorry for this family before but they lost all my sympathy now. The family is trying to play the system. They want to sue the hospital for 30million and Jahi's Uncle called 250k chump change. There has been tons of witness on boards that said that the surgery that Jahi has was more complicated than the story her mother told the media. I read that instead of following post surgery orders the family had their daughter laughing and eating chips and popsicles. They snuck her food in recovery because Jahi said she was hungry and her throat hurts. She bled out and the grandma and uncle suction her which led to Jahi bleeding out even more. The only person I feel sorry for is Jahi. She has no say in this. And thanks to HIPPA laws he can hear the hospital side of the story.

Back off topic.... I thought formaldehyde had been banned due to it being carcinogenic? Having said that I dissected way too many things at Uni nearly 30 years ago that came pickled in formaldehyde - mostly organs but the occasional rat, pigeon or other small mammal or reptile too. I also did blow flies, maggots, cockroaches (yes I studied entomology for a while) and then in psych class we actually did a human brain. I was the only science chick surrounded by squealing, fainting Arts students so I had to do the actual dissection. It was quite confronting. And it put me off eating champignon mushrooms for years.

Archived