IGNORED

Western Conservatory: The Botkins get a facelift

Olive Plant

Um, one of those artists is not like the others. It's ok to not like Picasso (his work is not really my taste), but the guy inspired entire artistic movements. It's not like he drew polar bears drinking coke on a bus shelter. Which is not to say that there can't also be art in advertising and popular entertainment, but that's got to be downright blasphemous to the Botkins.

I'm also beginning to really understand Geoff's blathering about christian hip-hop. He's probably never spoken truer words, and I hope his supporters continue to see through the bullshit.

Also, there is a very big difference between the music of say, Hildegard of Bingen, and that of a nineteenth century Romantic composer like Mendelssohn. The term "classical music" is so general that it's not very descriptive. I wonder if the Botkins are into opera. Probably not, since most operas tend to be about sordid love affairs. I bet "Die Walkure," with its twin-cestous love story, would make their heads explode.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And music:

Essentially, they redirected their children's taste in art and music to reflect their own; the kids were never allowed to discover what they liked and didn't like, or encouraged to explore the arts on their own. I don't care much for modern art, and there are some genres of music I really don't like, but I came to those conclusions on my own! My parents never tried to influence it, much less control it! Train your children to appreciate "good" music?! WTF! :angry-banghead:

I didn't really like the movie (Mr. Holland's Opus), but I always thought the quote below was pretty funny, and just proves that time and distance really do soften the edges for some people... :)

Mr. Holland, it has come to my attention that you are teaching the students rock and roll.

Is this a problem?

Is this a problem? I think so, our only job is to teach. And you cannot teach and the students cannot learn if there is no discipline.

What is your point, Gene?

What I am-What WE are saying is that you should be pushing the classics: Beethoven, Mozart, Stravinsky.

Stravinsky was the music of the Russian Revolution if you want to talk about a breakdown in discipline.

Any thoughts as to which Botkinette might end up with Nadia' s big brother? The two families seem to be entwined via the Western Conservatory.

Any thoughts as to which Botkinette might end up with Nadia' s big brother? The two families seem to be entwined via the Western Conservatory.

I have a hard time seeing either Botkinette getting married, even into a "safe" family.

Archived