IGNORED

Dougie Is Playing Dress Up in Italy

twin2

I honestly wondered if he was trolling for a second - this is SO ridiculous, and without any offensive co-opting.

If I were Dougie, I wouldn't be writing my acceptance speech for Best Documentary at the San Antonio Christian Film Festival just yet.

3328iyt.jpg

Looks like he's talking to the camera, so a documentary section - in which case the robes would just be for setting the theme, not an attempt to be historically accurate. Speaking to the camera and having visible microphones and modern additions to historical artefacts are both blatant, visible breaking the fourth wall that wouldn't seem out of place in a documentary.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Are we entirely sure that he isn't screwing with us?

Shit, this is serious?

I suppose I should be ashamed of myself but I'm sure you all know I'm not:

ohs4cx.jpg

BWAH! Diet Coke, meet monitor! :lol: :lol:

When I first saw the picture of Doug, I imagined moving the silver thingys down to where his nipples are and putting tassels on them. Am I the only one who thought that? Or am I just deranged?

Guest Anonymous
BWAH! Diet Coke, meet monitor! :lol: :lol:

When I first saw the picture of Doug, I imagined moving the silver thingys down to where his nipples are and putting tassels on them. Am I the only one who thought that? Or am I just deranged?

You're not deranged, just honest. And I'm jealous that I didn't think of that.

We aims to please:

f1gfn.jpg

Ohhhhkay. And from those videos I see that the talking to the camera thing is an introduction to characters, not documentary speech. Which... why the modern glasses and microphones? That DOES push belief.

Since the reenacting hobby is fairly popular with the jebus crowd, I can't believe all the pleather in those videos! Is there no aspiring leather-worker in that whole bunch! What about the hard working forefathers and the skills they used to make this fine-Fundie-nation! No? Machine stitched pleather, all around? Sigh. And I had my VF application all filled out. And, yeah - ditch the glasses for the night. Suffer for your art.

And, did you catch the one "slave girl" who made sure to point out she was a vigin? Doesn't speak too well for the character of those other 5. Naughty Dougie!

Oh doesn't he look FABULOUS!!

Ohhhhkay. And from those videos I see that the talking to the camera thing is an introduction to characters, not documentary speech. Which... why the modern glasses and microphones? That DOES push belief.

You've got to BUY the videos to hear the story. Doug has to create a career for his children -- they're actors, don't you know. Daddy taught him how to set himself up in business, an dnow he's got to do the same. He's taking dominion, for each kid of his.

Anyone want to hear Doug putting on a twee accent?

http://vimeo.com/27591458

'Cause all the Romans talked like 1920's Brahmins. :P

HA! I was wrong in my earlier post when I said that he couldn't get more ridiculous if he tried. This has to be the zenith, though. What a tool. Does he talk like that all the time? God, poor Be-all.

Doesn't look very authentic when you consider the modern eyewear and microphones. Also, I'm wondering if the guy who carried the inane tote bag during his trip to the Vatican will also be appearing in his modern wheelchair as he is in that one pan shot at the beginning..

I don't know much about that period, so maybe I'm way off here, but shouldn't Toolis be dressed in something a little less ostentatious (assuming he's representing the persecuted minority religion of Christianity as it existed in the First Century)?

It's interesting he should decide to dress as the powerful persecutor, rather than as a member of the repressed minority.

I don't know much about that period, so maybe I'm way off here, but shouldn't Toolis be dressed in something a little less ostentatious (assuming he's representing the persecuted minority religion of Christianity as it existed in the First Century)?

It's interesting he should decide to dress as the powerful persecutor, rather than as a member of the repressed minority.

From what I saw, the only other Roman soldier was his son. (I'm glad that they let his hair grow out -- he sort of reminded me of a skinhead when they had him in the butch buzz cut.)

The girl said she was a Vestal Virgin not just a virgin. So no implications about the state of the hymens of the others.

However, I am suspicious of the XX or XY chromosome factor for the woman who said her name is Publius something. Shouldn't it be Publia for a female? Like Julia instead of Julius? It's been a long time since I took Latin. But I'm sure I must be wrong. Dougie wouldn't make a simple gender mistake would he? I'm sure he researched all this shite deeply. He didn't just get his wife to whip up some Butterick costume patterns and make up some foreign sounding names for people. Right? Right??

'Cause all the Romans talked like 1920's Brahmins. :P

Ha! Well, they certainly often did in old MOVIES, which I think pretty much says it all as far as ol' Doug is concerned. Nice catch there. :)

OK, which one of you wisenheimers added this comment to the Flickr photostream?

omgletmeinwillyou (5 hours ago)

Aww! Don't you just look FABULOUS!!

Re: Toolius Maximus. While it's hard to know where to begin with this epic piece o'crap, the fake Roman names made me laugh. All I could think of were Biggus Dickus and Incontinentia Buttocks from Life of Brian.

I wonder what the Italian citizens thought of Dougie's play acting? Or, even the other tourists.

I know that if I came across something like I'd end up with a headache from the eye rolling.

Dougie needs to watch his step! In Rome, dressing up like a gladiator can be dangerous! Apparently, there has been lots of brawling over prime spots to pose as gladiator, and the police recently arrested 20 gladiators in front of the Colisseum. Oh that, one of them had been Dougie!

Italian police arrest 'gladiators': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14503878

Dougie needs to watch his step! In Rome, dressing up like a gladiator can be dangerous! Apparently, there has been lots of brawling over prime spots to pose as gladiator, and the police recently arrested 20 gladiators in front of the Colisseum. Oh that, one of them had been Dougie!

Italian police arrest 'gladiators': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14503878

I remember those guys (the "real" gladiators). They're incredibly aggressive about their business, which is selling pictures of themselves with tourists. If they see you taking a photo of them, even from a distance, they become very irate & will try to stop you or harass you until you pay them something.

OK, which one of you wisenheimers added this comment to the Flickr photostream?

Guilty as charged :lol:

Oh that, one of them had been Dougie!

FloraPoste,

I guess it's that picture of Hugh Laurie in drag that you have as your icon... When I got to this part of your statement, I heard it in my head in Hugh's fake, falsetto lady's voice!

Archived