IGNORED

Ding Dong, VF is Dead! And Doug Phillips is a Tool - Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Merchant Adventurers is the publishing arm of the Brown empire:

http://www.tower.com/book-publisher/mer ... turers-llc

So he is the Sarah Maxwell of the Brown family. .... except he has a wife.

I can certainly say I don't understand how anyone would ever want to join their cults... because I can't imagine the constrained fishbowl lives these people have.

You are correct! From the comments section of this Wartburg Watch post:

“Scott Brown’s wife Deborah grew up in a missionary family. Later in life her father left the mission field to go into business ventures. He was very successful and became a millionaire. When Scott married Deborah he learned the business angles from her father, and he also became a millionaire with his own business enterprise. Many in Deborah’s family, including her own parents, moved to NC from CA years ago. In the town of Wake Forest, you will find Scott’s interest in classic cars evident along with his churchianity in the windows of an occasional storefront. His church currently meets in an old shopping center strip and space is rented in a dance hall named Tuxedo Junction.â€

thewartburgwatch.com/2011/09/23/ncfic-vision-forum-and-the-bottom-line/

Can someone tell me again why Kelly Brown BRADRICK! had 47 kids and no water heater? This is "family"?

Can someone tell me again why Kelly Brown BRADRICK! had 47 kids and no water heater? This is "family"?

I don't remember where I read it, but Petey and Kelly live in an old farmhouse and I guess it gets pretty cold in the winter where they are and the house is drafty. And he wrote something somewhere about how they would heat up big pots of water on the stove in the mornings in order to heat up the house AND get hot water at the same time. I think they've had another 2-40 children since then, so hopefully his income from Bradrick! has allowed him to buy a $1000 water heater and maybe his handy BIL David, the former 13yo homebuilder, installed it for him for free.

I suspect it's because, in that worldview, responsibility for Kelly's comfort and well-being shifted from her father to her husband as soon as she said "I do." The patriarchs put all their investment into their own sons--who will carry on the family name, work in family businesses, and fulfill the patriarchal vision. Daughters? They become the property of another man, and their kids will fulfill another patriarch's vision. (Which is why, I am sure, neither the Maxwell girls nor the Botkinettes will ever be allowed to marry, at least as long as their fathers are alive.)

So if Petey Bradrick has failed to be a good provider, that's Kelly's cross to bear as his helpmeet--it's not her father's responsibility to assist them. Leave and cleave, baby.

And remember, making sure women and children are comfortable, and relieving them of hardships, isn't a priority in that culture. It's Kelly's job to be meek and submit and take care of the house and kids as best she can, and if things are going badly? Pray more, submit further, and try to figure out what sin you need to repent of so God can start cutting you some slack. The men in her life wouldn't even help her over a fence, remember? She had to get down in the dirt and roll under it. And she's still forced to get down in the dirt and roll, because that's her place within patriarchal culture.

I thought he was counsel for some homeschool group (I thought it was VA, but DC makes sense as a location) before he founded VF, but am surprised at the late admission date. He's not much younger than I, and had I gone straight from college to law school, could have graduated by 1989. IIRC, he didn't take a break, so he should have been done with law school by 1992 at the latest. Did he flunk the bar multiple times?

Frankly, that wouldn't surprise me. There isn't a section devoted to Slimy Snake Oil Salesmen. :lol:

D.C. has a reciprocity agreement with all the states - if you pass the bar in any of them, you can be licensed in D.C. Which makes a certain amount of sense, as lots of people come to D.C. to make a specific legal argument and shouldn't necessarily have to study for the local bar exam to do so.

I would assume he passed the bar in Texas and then became licensed in D.C. when he worked for the homeschool lobbying group.

I suspect it's because, in that worldview, responsibility for Kelly's comfort and well-being shifted from her father to her husband as soon as she said "I do." The patriarchs put all their investment into their own sons--who will carry on the family name, work in family businesses, and fulfill the patriarchal vision. Daughters? They become the property of another man, and their kids will fulfill another patriarch's vision. (Which is why, I am sure, neither the Maxwell girls nor the Botkinettes will ever be allowed to marry, at least as long as their fathers are alive.)

So if Petey Bradrick has failed to be a good provider, that's Kelly's cross to bear as his helpmeet--it's not her father's responsibility to assist them. Leave and cleave, baby.

And remember, making sure women and children are comfortable, and relieving them of hardships, isn't a priority in that culture. It's Kelly's job to be meek and submit and take care of the house and kids as best she can, and if things are going badly? Pray more, submit further, and try to figure out what sin you need to repent of so God can start cutting you some slack. The men in her life wouldn't even help her over a fence, remember? She had to get down in the dirt and roll under it. And she's still forced to get down in the dirt and roll, because that's her place within patriarchal culture.

I think Scott Brown has decided it was the right thing to do to help Kelly and the grandkids by giving Bradrick! a job, I wonder if Peter took a copy of the VFI/VFM mailing lists with him when he left Dougie.

I feel for the Botkin and Maxwell women, by being "successful" authors* they've condemned themselves to unwanted spinsterhood until such time that the income they bring into the family is less than their upkeep.

*For a given value of author, of course.

I think Scott Brown has decided it was the right thing to do to help Kelly and the grandkids by giving Bradrick! a job, I wonder if Peter took a copy of the VFI/VFM mailing lists with him when he left Dougie.

I feel for the Botkin and Maxwell women, by being "successful" authors* they've condemned themselves to unwanted spinsterhood until such time that the income they bring into the family is less than their upkeep.

*For a given value of author, of course.

Scott and Dougie arranged that marriage, so Scott owed it to his daughter to give Sippy a job once they moved from San Antonio. Again, I always assumed they moved from San Antonio to be nearer Kelly's parents as she started to have children (and God knows they wouldn't have been allowed to move to Washington where Sippy's family owns a ranch), but maybe there was more behind their move than just being closer to family.

I checked Martindale/Hubbels and could find no attorney with his name that had credentials that seemed to fit him.

Oops. Should have read earlier posts more carefully...

Oh and remember Scott Brown had no problems allowing Kelly to be harassed by a drunk man on an airplane while he and her brothers looked on (before her marriage to Sippy Cup). So much for that umbrella of protection!

Peter and Kelly married in 2006, but according to his LinkedIn page, he did not leave VF until 2009. He worshiped Doug so much that it surprised me when he left, but now I'm starting to think that maybe that is when he and Scott got wind of what was going on (though of course Peter's now trying to make it sound oh-so "recent").

linkedin.com/in/peterbradrick

Peter and Kelly married in 2006, but according to his LinkedIn page, he did not leave VF until 2009. He worshiped Doug so much that it surprised me when he left, but now I'm starting to think that maybe that is when he and Scott got wind of what was going on (though of course Peter's now trying to make it sound oh-so "recent").

Yeppers....Petey loathes to admit that he has probably known about this affair for years. But still...why is the affair coming out now? I'm starting to wonder if something did happen on the trip to Greece that caused the floodgates to open.

Do we know for a fact that Hero was on the Greece trip?

Leaving VF may have just been a financial move. Seems we've seen lots of things since 2009 (like the birthday video from the hospital with their new baby), with Peter still acting sincerely worshipful of Doug.

I have a hard time imagining that Peter is that good an actor.

Leaving VF may have just been a financial move. Seems we've seen lots of things since 2009 (like the birthday video from the hospital with their new baby), with Peter still acting sincerely worshipful of Doug.

I have a hard time imagining that Peter is that good an actor.

Very true. Perhaps Scott found out long before Peter and insisted he and Kelly move to NC under the pretense of being closer to Kelly's family? He could have been slowly distancing himself and his family while still hoping it would all blow over. So when P&K would do things like make the hospital video, he would have just had to grit his teeth and let them do it.

I want to know when RC Jr. knew. Darby's FB post on October 31:

Darby Maeve Sproul · 358 followers

October 31 at 2:28pm via mobile ·

Saddened. Prayerful. Grateful for the power of the Gospel.

Like · Share

59 people like this.

Robin Brooks White The Whites are sad also

October 31 at 2:29pm via mobile · Like

Tonya Brooks Chapa Amen

October 31 at 2:41pm via mobile · Like

Linda Rolf Yes...

October 31 at 2:53pm via mobile · Like

Jen McBride Amen.

October 31 at 4:36pm via mobile · Like

Shannon Matyas Heavy hearts here today, too.

October 31 at 5:28pm · Like

John Calvin Young Very sorrowful today as well.

October 31 at 7:02pm · Like

Amy Howard Been praying all day since we found out. Our hearts are hurting for/with them.

October 31 at 7:52pm · Like · 2

Amy Maus God has taught us so much through them and I pray will continue to do so. Still our hearts are grieving...

October 31 at 10:24pm via mobile · Like · 1

Debbie Doty Cali Yes, I concur on all three counts. May God be glorified in the midst of messy life.

November 1 at 6:32am · Like · 1

Noel Schaffer Adams This is what the gospel is for. We are great sinners; He is a great Savior.

November 1 at 5:38pm · Like · 2

Very true. Perhaps Scott found out long before Peter and insisted he and Kelly move to NC under the pretense of being closer to Kelly's family? He could have been slowly distancing himself and his family while still hoping it would all blow over. So when P&K would do things like make the hospital video, he would have just had to grit his teeth and let them do it.

That sounds very likely to me.

I want to know when RC Jr. knew. Darby's FB post on October 31:

Darby Maeve Sproul · 358 followers

October 31 at 2:28pm via mobile ·

Saddened. Prayerful. Grateful for the power of the Gospel.

Like · Share

59 people like this.

Robin Brooks White The Whites are sad also

October 31 at 2:29pm via mobile · Like

Tonya Brooks Chapa Amen

October 31 at 2:41pm via mobile · Like

Linda Rolf Yes...

October 31 at 2:53pm via mobile · Like

Jen McBride Amen.

October 31 at 4:36pm via mobile · Like

Shannon Matyas Heavy hearts here today, too.

October 31 at 5:28pm · Like

John Calvin Young Very sorrowful today as well.

October 31 at 7:02pm · Like

Amy Howard Been praying all day since we found out. Our hearts are hurting for/with them.

October 31 at 7:52pm · Like · 2

Amy Maus God has taught us so much through them and I pray will continue to do so. Still our hearts are grieving...

October 31 at 10:24pm via mobile · Like · 1

Debbie Doty Cali Yes, I concur on all three counts. May God be glorified in the midst of messy life.

November 1 at 6:32am · Like · 1

Noel Schaffer Adams This is what the gospel is for. We are great sinners; He is a great Savior.

November 1 at 5:38pm · Like · 2

Lots of pity for Doug and none for the young woman. There isn't a lot of pity for his children either. I've noticed that when people do mention the others that he hurt its almost as an aside for ' Doug and his family.' No one writers, "Poor Beall or his poor kids." It is as if they don't view his family as separate entities from Doug

Did they make those dresses from bedspreads or something?

I put that pic at 1990 or so. There was a brief fad of making bridesmaids' dresses from floral polished chintz (fabric traditionally used for bedspreads, slipcovers, curtains, pillow covers, etc.). I wore something frighteningly similar for my youngest sister's wedding.

The only reference I can find to the scandal on RC Jr.'s Facebook page:

"Amusing to see anonymous and pseudo-nominous internet critics demanding public full disclosure from others."

facebook.com/rcsprouljr/posts/10201117087588774

Lots of pity for Doug and none for the young woman. There isn't a lot of pity for his children either. I've noticed that when people do mention the others that he hurt its almost as an aside for ' Doug and his family.' No one writers, "Poor Beall or his poor kids." It is as if they don't view his family as separate entities from Doug

That is one of the most surprising things to me, too-- this apparent attitude of, "Well, who can blame him? All those kids would drive anyone nuts." Well, yes... But then perhaps one should not be the biggest proponent of "militant fecundity" in the nation.

The only reference I can find to the scandal on RC Jr.'s Facebook page:

"Amusing to see anonymous and pseudo-nominous internet critics demanding public full disclosure from others."

facebook.com/rcsprouljr/posts/10201117087588774

Why yes, yes I am! The pseudo-nominous critic that am I is DEMANDING IT DAMIT!

Archived