IGNORED

Ding Dong, VF is Dead! And Doug Phillips is a Tool - Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who picks up the mantle now that Dougie is disgraced/on hiatus? I think people who had the "tell me what to do" mindset required to worship/follow Doug in the first place would be a lot more likely to shift to a new leader than choose a whole new path.

Is this the point where Geoff makes his grand re-entry to prominence and regular website updates? Does Scott Brown have enough appeal to be the new leader of many? What about a darkhorses like that Swanson guy or Marcus Severn, or maybe one of the moderately know former interns?

I can't believe there aren't more than a few who will be jockeying for postition in the coming months. But, none that I can think of would do costumes and theatrics like Doug. Thoughts on who has what it takes to be next?

I think the front runner is Scott Brown, given the kind of web and in-person presence he's been cultivating the past year or so - conference conference conference, and lots of travel (there's a trip to Alaska up next). But I can't see him getting into the cosplay thing, he's much too stodgy.

Kevin Swanson is (as someone else here on FJ said recently) just too creepy and evil, he doesn't have the drama queen appeal that Doug had. Marcus Serven is much too stodgy and fuddy-duddy.

Geoff Botkin? There's been nary a peep from him, and I don't expect there will be. Clan Botkin has become more and more isolationist this past year, and their websites haven't been updated in months. And, given the fact that Doug's alleged victim (this based on all the chatter over on Jen's Gems) was one of the shining examples of stay-at-home-daughterhood on the Botkins' "Return of the Daughters" DVD, I imagine they're deep in damage-control mode, trying to figure out how to spin that in a way that won't come back to bite them in the collective ass.

Becky Morecraft posted a pic of her and Joe in Greece on her Facebook page. Joe looks much better here than he has in the past, out of his wheelchair and a nice healthy color in his face. Of course, this was probably mere hours before he was almost driven to his grave by the shocking revelations about Doug.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151934884130972&set=a.462615720971.254722.601660971&type=1

Lots of "prayers going up for you" in the comments.

And then there's this epic photo:

wedding_phillips.jpg

Holy cow, this is a great find. Who are the other peeps -- is that Dougie's parents and sibs? Or are those people not old enough to be his parents (hard to tell). Beall was a beautiful bride.

ETA: To try to get the quoting to work right.

And then there's this epic photo:

wedding_phillips.jpg

Holy cow, this is a great find. Who are the other peeps -- is that Dougie's parents and sibs? Or are those people not old enough to be his parents (hard to tell). Beall was a beautiful bride.

Here's an early Brown photo from the VF Ministry site. Kelly, on the left, looks like something out of The Preppy Handbook. And on the other end, Li'l David, already thinking about godly, married sex and how soon he can get it (according to his father).

brown_family.gif

The man on the left is Bill Potter. Assume that the others are Potter's wife & children.

ETA: hope this is clear. Bloody Tapatalk + ipad makes it really hard to post replies!

The man on the left is Bill Potter. Assume that the others are Potter's wife & children.

ETA: hope this is clear. Bloody Tapatalk + ipad makes it really hard to post replies!

Bill Potter? That's a name I've not heard before. Who is he?

I'm surpised they haven't scrubbed Doug's unintentionally hilarious yet appallingly icky post, "This is the House That David Built."

"He was only thirteen years old when he approached his father with a vision to build his very own home on the family property. Earlier that year his father had called for a father and son conference. The mission: Come up with a five year game plan to help his son David redeem the time for the glory of God… This would mean that when God sent him the woman of his dreams, David would be ready to take action, to provide for her and to have a family. The decision to build a home meant tough choices. And David acknowledged that he was making a conscious choice to forgo teenage years of a dating culture, team sports, and entertainment, in exchange for making sacrifices for a woman and a future that would be years away."

And the Freudian kicker: "This means thinking about the size of the closet his wife will need…"

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/default.aspx?path=/2008/05/3754/

Here's an early Brown photo from the VF Ministry site. Kelly, on the left, looks like something out of The Preppy Handbook. And on the other end, Li'l David, already thinking about godly, married sex and how soon he can get it (according to his father).

brown_family.gif

I've often wondered how Deborah (Debra?) Brown got swindled into the whole patriarchy thing? She's always appeared sort of "wild" to me with the hair and the ponchos she wears to weddings and the big "look at me" earrings. And she was not originally from the South or the US for that matter, so I wonder how she's remained allowed to have her own look. Is she just another Beall -- "I'm being taken care of so I'll just play along"?

I'm surpised they haven't scrubbed Doug's unintentionally hilarious yet appallingly icky post, "This is the House That David Built."

"He was only thirteen years old when he approached his father with a vision to build his very own home on the family property. Earlier that year his father had called for a father and son conference. The mission: Come up with a five year game plan to help his son David redeem the time for the glory of God… This would mean that when God sent him the woman of his dreams, David would be ready to take action, to provide for her and to have a family. The decision to build a home meant tough choices. And David acknowledged that he was making a conscious choice to forgo teenage years of a dating culture, team sports, and entertainment, in exchange for making sacrifices for a woman and a future that would be years away."

And the Freudian kicker: "This means thinking about the size of the closet his wife will need…"

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/default.aspx?path=/2008/05/3754/

Was this about one of Doug's children, or someone else (ie whomever is in the picture) I didn't know doug had a family compound like some of the others.

Was this about one of Doug's children, or someone else (ie whomever is in the picture) I didn't know doug had a family compound like some of the others.

This was about Scott Brown's son, David.

Bill Potter? That's a name I've not heard before. Who is he?

Here's an ode composed in honor of Bill Potter by none other than Matt Chancey, husband of Jennie (http://www.tothelastditch.com/history/p ... ill-potter):

In Praise of Potters

by Matthew Chancey, dedicated to William Potter, August 18, 2004

Through the battlefield he roams,

Recounting the days long since gone.

Hands waiving, gesturing always,

Ghosts of memory reborn.

From whence comes this storyteller?

What hall of academia begot him?

What guild claims membership of his mind,

And inspires such passion for ancient paths?

He comes from field and from fire.

In youth, he drank the living stream.

Stories of valor and courage unmatched,

Replaced the boyish games of peers.

While friends swung wooden bats at balls,

He read of swinging sword and axe.

While others climbed trees and mountain tops,

He read of breastworks charged and vanquished.

His friends rode to games and parades,

But he rode with Ashby and Stuart.

His peers camped by rivers in peaceful glades,

But he camped with Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

They hunted for deer; he hunted for Grant.

They ran in their races; he ran the blockade.

They fought over toys; he defended the Cause,

He is the South’s great story teller!

But where did he come from? What institution?

Does he sell books or teach verse?

Neither, I’m sure, you be puzzled to learn,

He sells rugs in the Chesapeake markets.

I know you will marvel at such revelation,

“Strange fate for a master of time.â€

But God sits enthroned and strongly proclaims,

That He makes fishermen leaders of men.

God laughs at the teachers who lie and distort,

And weave fiction as they poison young minds.

But in their arrogant, pensioned halls,

They’re vanquished by merchants of rugs.

Praise be to God, the Great Storyteller,

Who puts down Goliath with pebbles!

The wisdom of God makes fools of the scholars,

And heroes of merchants and Potters.

I've often wondered how Deborah (Debra?) Brown got swindled into the whole patriarchy thing? She's always appeared sort of "wild" to me with the hair and the ponchos she wears to weddings and the big "look at me" earrings. And she was not originally from the South or the US for that matter, so I wonder how she's remained allowed to have her own look. Is she just another Beall -- "I'm being

taken care of so I'll just play along"?

According to the interwebz (I don't remember the source, but I suspect it may be from a comment on Wartburg Watch), she comes from money. A lot of money. Her family was originally from California but have all moved to NC. I don't know if that was when she was a child or when she was older but I suspect it was before she and Scott met.

The second thing: don't let the wild hair and artsy clothes fool you. She is as conservative as they come and she has released at least one podcast (or maybe a series-I can't remember) detailing her preferred methods of child abuse. She may have started out more mainstream, but I have my suspicions she was a fairly willing partner in the Brown's move into the extreme patriarchy movement.

Ever gotten a toilet for your 18th birthday? David Brown has. ("Rated best flush," so just keep on hatin', haters!)

browns-journal.blogspot.com/2009/12/november-2009.html

According to the interwebz (I don't remember the source, but I suspect it may be from a comment on Wartburg Watch), she comes from money. A lot of money. Her family was originally from California but have all moved to NC. I don't know if that was when she was a child or when she was older but I suspect it was before she and Scott met.

The second thing: don't let the wild hair and artsy clothes fool you. She is as conservative as they come and she has released at least one podcast (or maybe a series-I can't remember) detailing her preferred methods of child abuse. She may have started out more mainstream, but I have my suspicions she was a fairly willing partner in the Brown's move into the extreme patriarchy movement.

Well, but Scott posted a photo once while on vacation with her somewhere tropical that said she was from there. It seems like it may have been Puerto Rico or something. So maybe he just meant her family was from there and that she never lived there? I've never seen photos of her side of the family but she has a look that isn't entirely your typical Caucasion Southern belle. I'd love to know more about her background.

Ever gotten a toilet for your 18th birthday? David Brown has. ("Rated best flush," so just keep on hatin', haters!)

browns-journal.blogspot.com/2009/12/november-2009.html

And he had a betrothed on his 18th birthday, but the blog sort of peters out... anyone know what this child groom does for a living?

And he had a betrothed on his 18th birthday, but the blog sort of peters out... anyone know what this child groom does for a living?

Works for Daddy or at one or more of Daddy's companies.

Someone from the Browns' neck of the woods came on FJ several years ago & said that Scott has done quite well in real estate & related businesses in Wake Forest, NC.

Manager at Merchant Adventurers, Operations Manager at The National Center for Family Integrated Churches and Helper at Browns Family Farm

Past: The Vision Forum, Inc. and Serven Design

ETA: (from his public FB page)

Doug so used a curling iron on those bangs.

You are correct! From the comments section of this Wartburg Watch post:

“Scott Brown’s wife Deborah grew up in a missionary family. Later in life her father left the mission field to go into business ventures. He was very successful and became a millionaire. When Scott married Deborah he learned the business angles from her father, and he also became a millionaire with his own business enterprise. Many in Deborah’s family, including her own parents, moved to NC from CA years ago. In the town of Wake Forest, you will find Scott’s interest in classic cars evident along with his churchianity in the windows of an occasional storefront. His church currently meets in an old shopping center strip and space is rented in a dance hall named Tuxedo Junction.â€

thewartburgwatch.com/2011/09/23/ncfic-vision-forum-and-the-bottom-line/

Manager at Merchant Adventurers, Operations Manager at The National Center for Family Integrated Churches and Helper at Browns Family Farm

Past: The Vision Forum, Inc. and Serven Design

ETA: (from his public FB page)

OK, Merchant Adventurers brings up nothing... except a costume company in PA. So basically, he works for daddy--maybe he is getting experience that would let him work for someone else, but if his family is rich, it is likely he would have a hard time fitting in if he no longer was prince of the realm... not to mention his lack of education. These dominionists really are less concerned about the 200 year plan than they are about keeping their entire family dependent and under their thumbs.

Archived