IGNORED

Cleve and Lise?

ladypuglover

Oh man. Still majorly bumming that Cleve is most likely courting Lise. :( He's just too hot for her. Oh well.

And yeah, that pic of the flag is pretty awful. I agree with darkplumaged that these kids likely aren't schooled in the negative connotations of the the confederate flag. They probably see it as a symbol of the South and all that mumbo-jumbo. Ignorant? Yes. Racist? Possibly. But not surprising. I wonder what their friend, Jasmine Baucham, would have to say about it!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sisters and I called our father daddy to the day he died and we still refer to him as daddy. My late mother and her sister did/do the same thing. It's a southern thing, not a patriarchy thing. Like asking about someone's mama and them... the them means daddy and the rest of the family.

Excepting the nomenclature part, everything demgirl mentioned struck a chord with my snooping self.

Because I have no doubt that part of putting their best faces forward is not just the natural thing to do, but calculated to promote their ways of life and belief.

Jasmine would probably explain why it's perfectly okay that the Mortons love the confederate flag. She's the token black fundie royalty and part of that responsibility is never calling racism out for what it is.

Edited to clarify that I have no idea if the Mortons are racists. But I view the COnfederate Flag as a racist symbol, or at least a symbol with racist connotations.

Well, well, MY comment never made it though, but others have been approved so they had to have gotten it. The dixie flag pic. is still there. I will check again in the morning and see if they remove it, their site is a little off right now so I think she is currently adding more pics. because there are new ones I don;t remember seeing.(unless I blocked everything after the flag)

I think that they are very good at the pleasant facade - you know, pictures of the girls laughing and hugging and running around in fields, pictures of the men folk doing salt of the earth type stuff and field work and holding chubby babies, cute nicknames, pleasant smiles, at least the sense that they love each other, winsome pictures in sepia tones. Then you look at who they are friends with or related to. Then you look at the pictures that show an uglier side -- like the confederate flag and other ones people have caught. Then you look at the fact that those young women still live in patriarchy. Then you look at how everything is too sweet and simpering and the fact they call their father "Daddy" and describe everything as "sweet" and "dear".

Shudder.

This. Fundamentalist VF family holds abhorrent views? SHOCK! No. I know they're a favorite around here because they post a lot of pretty pictures and use silly nicknames and seem to love each other, but none of that means that their views are any less dangerous than those of the Botkins/Phillipses/Pearls/Kelly at GC/etc and that they wouldn't yank your rights and my rights away at the first opportunity if they had the power.

This. Fundamentalist VF family holds abhorrent views? SHOCK! No. I know they're a favorite around here because they post a lot of pretty pictures and use silly nicknames and seem to love each other, but none of that means that their views are any less dangerous than those of the Botkins/Phillipses/Pearls/Kelly at GC/etc and that they wouldn't yank your rights and my rights away at the first opportunity if they had the power.

The lesson we have learned and I said from the beginning is that the problem with our pet fundies is they ALWAYS, ALWAYS shit on the rug because they aren't housebroken. I used it the first time specifically to refer to LoraLei I believe in the Sanders family but it always is the case.

I was obviously being funny when I said it and it has taken on a meaning of anyone who shows up here and just says offensive or just rude things without realizing they are (for an appaling example of me doing it, see also the lina thread.)

What I really meant is that no matter how sweet and loving these families SEEM there is always the underbelly of what they actually believe. Yes they are having fun and pretty and take pretty pictures and look adorable. But they all, all do some appalling things.

I always like to remind everyone about the Sanders family saying that the father had to realize the very much adult man to find a wife. Not only can they not decide who to marry, or how to marry or even what to do when the do marry, they can't even decide when they are ready to pursue it.

I want more for my kid than that. And I am disgusted that the Sanders don't. My child at 11 has more freedom than Noah ever did. Probably more than he has now as a married man and father living in an apartment in the barn of his parents house.

LL is only related to them through marriage, but I agree. M isn't the only minority adopted into their madness.

I was under the impression that Lora Lynn has the same mother as all the Sanders kids, but has a different father. Making them half siblings. :?:

I was under the impression that Lora Lynn has the same mother as all the Sanders kids, but has a different father. Making them half siblings. :?:

Yes she is a sanders by her FATHEr (not mother) but she isn't related to the morton at all except that she has a sister in law (dorothy who married Noah) who is a morton daughter.

That was the only example I could think of someone they knew(and are kind of related to in an in law way) who would be offended.I hoped if I spelled it out for them they would understand. Obviously they do not care, because the picture is still there today and I am sure they got my message. :evil:

I wouldn't even give them the benefit of the doubt of being sheltered. I've run into lots of people in the South who can't understand why it's offensive to display the Confederate flag because "the war wasn't really about slavery" and "it's just about honoring the soldiers who fought" and "it's just about heritage and Southern pride." Hell, the mascot of one of the high schools in the town where I grew up is the Rebels, and there are dozens of kids driving around with Confederate flag stickers on their cars for that reason...and very few people see any problem with that.

I'll never understand the reverence. Even if you're discounting the racism it's associated with, the Civil War was a terrible, messy, bloody period in US history. Not exactly "the good ole days"...but then again that's often a misnomer when fundies drag it out...

Yes she is a sanders by her FATHEr (not mother) but she isn't related to the morton at all except that she has a sister in law (dorothy who married Noah) who is a morton daughter.

Thanks for clarifying. I get the 2 families mixed up all the dang time!

That, and if you go back a few years you'll find pictures of them doing paramilitary activities. Assault rifles and the whole bit.

After that really bigoted comment that Kristina left of on someone's blog, joking about killing Muslims, I decided no more pet fundies for me. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the jobs of the wimmen folks is to keep the sheets ironed and the torches primed.

Even though I was the one who brought the Kristina comment here, I had totally forgotten about it. Next time someone does a hand-slapping about us being mean to poor, sweet little Kristina and that she doesn't hurt anybody, I'm going to bring that up. When you look past all the cute pictures, all these fundies have a dark, evil side. Some of them just hide it better than others.

Unsure what you mean. There's a picture captioned "The Courting Couple (now engaged!)" but it's of Prentice Kendall and some guy, not Cleve.

Yeah, that's Lise's sister. Who's actually pretty. I see her with Cleve more than Lise. In my opinion he's just settling. And tired of being a virgin. And I'm jealous of Lise. :(

Yeah, that's Lise's sister. Who's actually pretty. I see her with Cleve more than Lise. In my opinion he's just settling. And tired of being a virgin. And I'm jealous of Lise. :(

I dunno, I think it's hard to judge whether he's "settling" just from a few pictures. So she's not super pretty...maybe that just goes to show that he's not shallow and actually really likes her? Hard to say, and I must confess to having a soft spot for Cleve...I know his family and beliefs are whackadoodle and scary but he's just so cute! (I guess that makes me shallow... ;) )

I dunno, I think it's hard to judge whether he's "settling" just from a few pictures. So she's not super pretty...maybe that just goes to show that he's not shallow and actually really likes her? Hard to say, and I must confess to having a soft spot for Cleve...I know his family and beliefs are whackadoodle and scary but he's just so cute! (I guess that makes me shallow... ;) )

Oh I'm just being bitter, because I'm totally defrauded by Cleve! I'm sure he does "like" her. And she's probably a nice girl. Is she someone that he'd date/marry outside of this wacko VF/QF/patriarchal world they live in? Doubtful.

Oh I'm just being bitter, because I'm totally defrauded by Cleve! I'm sure he does "like" her. And she's probably a nice girl. Is she someone that he'd date/marry outside of this wacko VF/QF/patriarchal world they live in? Doubtful.

Yeah that's true...they just have so few options when it comes to finding someone to marry.

I don't know about that... if you look at all these balls and retreats and whatnot, there are a ton of attractive young fundie girls, girls who've spent their lives figuring out how to emphasize their best features, etc. Cleve could probably have his pick of the litter. The shortage is in the non-creepy fundie men. I figure if Cleve is courting, there must be a good reason for it, since it's not like he was in a hurry before.

Check out the Mortons' latest post. Lise is by Cleve's side at his birthday dinner, and they're sitting mighty close in the last picture. Something is definitely afoot; not sure why they haven't announced it.

IMO, she looks pretty in these pictures.

Check out the Mortons' latest post. Lise is by Cleve's side at his birthday dinner, and they're sitting mighty close in the last picture. Something is definitely afoot; not sure why they haven't announced it.

IMO, she looks pretty in these pictures.

Link, please?

Link, please?

mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-which-cleveland-turns-another-year.html

Yup... I feel something in my bones.

ETA: had to fix link

Archived