IGNORED

I'm not trying to be critical

homeschoolmomma1

Is kugel that stuff that came in a jar, peanut butter already mixed with jelly? I haven't had that since I was a kid. I wonder if they still make that.

No, it's noodles.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so a lot of you seem Jewish... lol not trying to say that offensively, but I have a question. Do a lot of Orthodox Jewish woman wear wigs? I saw a movie on Hallmark Loving Leah and she did.

I used to wish i was Jewish growing up. Most interesting religion out there. I am catholic and love 'tradition' and Judaism has a lot of that (from my understanding. I just subscribed to chabad.org newsletters and i wish I had someone who was Jewish who could explain things I don't understand lol

Also, have any of you ever seen a Christian become Jewish? Is it heard of?

I am rapidly losing patience tonight, so I will put this succinctly.

1. My religion is no more interesting or exotic than any other religion on earth.

2. We have discussed Orthodox head covering and conversion to Judaism many times on this board (including the personal experiences of members.) The search function at the top of the page is your friend.

I am rapidly losing patience tonight, so I will put this succinctly.

1. My religion is no more interesting or exotic than any other religion on earth.

2. We have discussed Orthodox head covering and conversion to Judaism many times on this board (including the personal experiences of members.) The search function at the top of the page is your friend.

Jeez, I wasn't trying to be rude. Nor do I think you are more interesting or exotic. I also didn't know about the head covering. I will just Google it next time.

You know sometimes when people ask questions it is because they are generally interested in understanding something and not trying to make an issue of it.

I won't ask religious questions anymore. I will just ask on a Judaism board and or at the Synagogue I sometimes attend. No offense, but I was even told I could take classes to convert to Judaism and if I was interested I would do such a thing. As I learn more I think about doing that, however I have a long history of people in my life that wouldn't understand why I converted.

Please don't think I was trying to cause problems.

I am very sorry... :cry:

No, it's noodles.

Thanks!

By the way, I know now what I was thinking. Years ago, there was a food product called "Koogle." I did a bit of research in order to refresh my memory, and found that Koogle was the stuff that came in a funny-shaped jar, and was a peanut-based spread that came in separate flavors, such as vanilla, chocolate, etc. Here's an image of a jar of it:

koogle.jpg

Now, as for the product I mistook for Koogle, it is called Goober Grape, and is a combination of peanut butter and jelly in a single jar. Apparently, it is still being produced. Here is an image of a jar of it, with the lid removed so that the product is readily visible:

goober-grape-2.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the clarification of what "kugel" really is!

:handgestures-thumbup:

Definitely not a real Jew. We're all about modern medicine. The whole life is sacred thing means utilize that shit to make you better.

honestly, she probably just had gas.

On The Nanny, Fran Fine was always in search of The Unmarried Jewish Doctor. Ditto Grace Adler from Will & Grace.

I know you aren't trying to be rude, homeschoolmomma1, but there is a line where interest crosses over into "exotic Othering." People can do it with the best of intentions, but it is still treating another person as if they are something other than a regular person trying to get by like everyone else. You said that you think Judaism is the "most interesting religion out there," said that "a lot of us seem Jewish" and you wanted to ask a question of us. That's similar to a teacher asking the only Muslim student in a classroom about what Ramadan is in front of the rest of the class. The teacher thinks he's being inclusive, but it is conveying a message to the class that the Muslim student's religion is so strange, that not even the teacher knows about it. Someone else in the class might know the answer. When someone calls my religion "fascinating" (or similar terms), or tells me on the forum that I'm smart for knowing facts about Judaism (facts that were taught to me at a young age like most other people who grow up with religion), it makes me feel like I'm an exhibit.

That is great that you have a synagogue in your community where you feel comfortable, and I encourage you to continue to talk to people. Just be aware that making overly positive comments can come across as offensively as overly negative comments.

I know you aren't trying to be rude, homeschoolmomma1, but there is a line where interest crosses over into "exotic Othering." People can do it with the best of intentions, but it is still treating another person as if they are something other than a regular person trying to get by like everyone else. You said that you think Judaism is the "most interesting religion out there," said that "a lot of us seem Jewish" and you wanted to ask a question of us. That's similar to a teacher asking the only Muslim student in a classroom about what Ramadan is in front of the rest of the class. The teacher thinks he's being inclusive, but it is conveying a message to the class that the Muslim student's religion is so strange, that not even the teacher knows about it. Someone else in the class might know the answer. When someone calls my religion "fascinating" (or similar terms), or tells me on the forum that I'm smart for knowing facts about Judaism (facts that were taught to me at a young age like most other people who grow up with religion), it makes me feel like I'm an exhibit.

That is great that you have a synagogue in your community where you feel comfortable, and I encourage you to continue to talk to people. Just be aware that making overly positive comments can come across as offensively as overly negative comments.

Very well put!

Okay, so a lot of you seem Jewish... lol not trying to say that offensively, but I have a question. Do a lot of Orthodox Jewish woman wear wigs? I saw a movie on Hallmark Loving Leah and she did.

I used to wish i was Jewish growing up. Most interesting religion out there. I am catholic and love 'tradition' and Judaism has a lot of that (from my understanding. I just subscribed to chabad.org newsletters and i wish I had someone who was Jewish who could explain things I don't understand lol

Also, have any of you ever seen a Christian become Jewish? Is it heard of?

Where did that stereotype of Jewish women and wigs come from? I've never heard of any such thing.

Thank You I will watch how and what I say from now on. I don't ever want to hurt/offend anyone for their beliefs.

Also 'seem Jewish' came out wrong. Sometimes, my written language comes out looking like I am jerk. I am sorry It is one of the reason I no longer homeschool. English was not a strong subject and I wanted my children to not carry on how I am.

Where did that stereotype of Jewish women and wigs come from? I've never heard of any such thing.

Religious Jewish from certain sects (not reform or orthodox) must keep their hair covered because only their husbands are allowed to see it. Many will cover with a wig so as not to stand out in public. I know several orthodox women who wear wigs.

Religious Jewish from certain sects (not reform or orthodox) must keep their hair covered because only their husbands are allowed to see it. Many will cover with a wig so as not to stand out in public. I know several orthodox women who wear wigs.

Thank you very much! I was not aware of that, and find it interesting.

Yikes, I hope I didn't seem Othering. I didn't hang out with the rabbi and his family because I thought they were the "most interesting" - my best friend at school was Modern Orthodox and I thought I could help out with the stroller since I'm not religious and it meant a lot.

Well, the Hasidic women in my former neighborhood in St. Paul, MN do wear wigs when out in public. I wouldn't say it's a stereotype, my Jewish relatives don't wear wigs but there are enough instances where certain groups within Judaism do so I'm surprised you've never heard of it.

Well, the Hasidic women in my former neighborhood in St. Paul, MN do wear wigs when out in public. I wouldn't say it's a stereotype, my Jewish relatives don't wear wigs but there are enough instances where certain groups within Judaism do so I'm surprised you've never heard of it.

Thanks for the additional info (I "liked" your post). It prompted me to do a bit of research, and I learned that the wigs worn by Jewish women are called sheitels, which is the Yiddish word for wigs.

My first job as a secretary was at a Jewish community service organization. Richer orthodox Jewish women buy very nice wigs indistinguishable (if not nicer) than, um, head hair (?). Poorer women's wigs can be kind of bad. I didn't know much about orthodox Judaism, so I'd been there about a month when a woman came in with what I thought was a lovely new, shiny haircut. I complimented her on her hair and she instantly started crying.

That was when I learned that married Orthodox Jewish women wear wigs, and then have to remove those wigs if their husbands abandon them with 9 kids to run off to California with a bleached blonde shiksa. I'd basically complimented her on her abandonment. :embarrassed:

Since this seems to be the appropriate thread for quirks of various religions, it's probably as good a place as any for this.

Some years back, I heard that some Jewish people, on a certain day of the week, aren't allowed to even turn on a light switch, and for that day, must employ a non-Jewish person to perform such tasks.

Anyone ever heard of anything like that? I think that I'll research it on the internet.

If true, weird-o-rama!

:pink-shock:

Since this seems to be the appropriate thread for quirks of various religions, it's probably as good a place as any for this.

Some years back, I heard that some Jewish people, on a certain day of the week, aren't allowed to even turn on a light switch, and for that day, must employ a non-Jewish person to perform such tasks.

Anyone ever heard of anything like that? I think that I'll research it on the internet.

If true, weird-o-rama!

Again, that is a practice of some Orthodox and groups like the Hasaidic. The Sabbath is a day of rest so that includes not turning switches on or off. It's from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

If true, weird-o-rama!

... This reads like a joke, and I really hope it is. Sometimes I'm really effin surprised at how ~wacky~ my religion seems to people. Did you grow up somewhere with no Jewish people?

... This reads like a joke, and I really hope it is. Sometimes I'm really effin surprised at how ~wacky~ my religion seems to people. Did you grow up somewhere with no Jewish people?

It's trolling. Just don't engage.

Sadly, Hilda is making fun of Jewish people :cry: I am getting SICK of it! Hilda is a troll and just plan rude!

Also Hilda, why do you insist on making fun of Judaism again with your avatar? Your not funny, just disrespectful!

Again, that is a practice of some Orthodox and groups like the Hasaidic. The Sabbath is a day of rest so that includes not turning switches on or off. It's from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

Interesting, and thank you for the information (I "liked" your post.)

Today, I read about a "shabbos goy," which, if I understand correctly, is a non-Jewish individual who can do those tasks for the Jewish folks.

I need to find a new nail polish but it will have to be subdued. Pink blush?

My first job as a secretary was at a Jewish community service organization. Richer orthodox Jewish women buy very nice wigs indistinguishable (if not nicer) than, um, head hair (?). Poorer women's wigs can be kind of bad. I didn't know much about orthodox Judaism, so I'd been there about a month when a woman came in with what I thought was a lovely new, shiny haircut. I complimented her on her hair and she instantly started crying.

That was when I learned that married Orthodox Jewish women wear wigs, and then have to remove those wigs if their husbands abandon them with 9 kids to run off to California with a bleached blonde shiksa. I'd basically complimented her on her abandonment. :embarrassed:

This post contains a reference to a "bleached blonde shiksa."

I had heard the word "shiksa" before, but was uncertain of its meaning. When I researched it, I received a rude awakening!

Basically, according to a Wikipedia entry, it is a term used to describe a non-Jewish woman. It is derived from a Hebrew term, and means "abomination." It can also be translated to mean "impure" or "object of loathing."

Wikipedia also mentions that several dictionaries consider it offensive and disparaging toward non-Jewish females.

As a non-Jewish, white young woman, I find this term, and the concept behind it, ugly and offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiksa

Archived