IGNORED

I'm not trying to be critical

homeschoolmomma1

FJ polish 002: WAAH, you're racist against white people. It's a stunning shade of red.

Jericho will have two of his own, as well: Tantalizing Tinfoil and The Gay Agenda.

I've heard of peel-off nail polish. It's a water-based polymer. I almost bought a jar, but the saleswoman told me I couldn't expect it to last much longer than two days, and that's if I didn't wash dishes or take a hot shower. Plus they were all in pink. :puke-front:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most babies who need diapers also need strollers, so if there is an eruv, both diaper bag and stroller are fine, and if not, babies stay home. Otherwise, though, some people do keep things at the synagogue if they can't carry them. [Most cities with large Jewish populations have an eruv - usually, it's a wire running along electrical poles, and it makes it possible to carry things within that area on Shabbat. The eruv in Toronto is really big (most of the city and Thornhill). Some follow stricter opinions and don't rely on the general eruv.

Re: Abba and Raffa

"Avinu" (our father) gets used in some Hebrew prayers. I've only heard Abba used for intimate, spontaneous prayer in some Hasidic sects (I think I remember hearing it in the movie Ushpizin). There is a reference to God healing the sick in the Amidah prayer, said 3x/day, but the title Raffa is not used. In any event, all streams of mainstream Judaism are perfectly clear that (1) saving a life comes before everything else, and (2) people have an obligation to safeguard their health, which includes seeking medical treatment and following medical advice. Doctors are seen as a vessel through which the divine blessing of healing may flow.

Raffa vs. Rapha - there's no difference, the Hebrew alphabet is different so it's all transliteration.

Re: using lights on Shabbat

These days, people use timers so that the lights go on and off at set times. You can also program your oven. The idea is to avoid starting or extinguishing a fire on Shabbat itself, although benefiting from an existing fire is fine. The rule for fire got extended to electrical devices in most cases. The rules are only for Jews, so there's nothing wrong according to Jewish law with a non-Jew turning on a light, but Jews are not supposed to ask a non-Jew to do it directly. If you have an ongoing understanding with a neighbor, you could say, "Wow, it's dark in here" if there's a power outage in the area which messes up all the pre-set stuff.

Only responding since some non-trolls seemed curious, and I don't mind genuine questions.

I have a question about the prohibition on carrying things during the Sabbath. What about picking up and carrying the baby at all? I don't see how you could go 24 hours without carrying an infant, since obviously they have to be fed, changed, rocked, etc......so is this an exception, or doesn't fall into the same category, or is the prohibition only regarding carrying things outside?

How about carrying a dish of food? I guess I'm not understanding how some necessary needs are met if someone literally can't carry anything at all. Or is maybe the food all put out on the table beforehand?

Thank you very much for your willingness to answer questions.

Most babies who need diapers also need strollers, so if there is an eruv, both diaper bag and stroller are fine, and if not, babies stay home. Otherwise, though, some people do keep things at the synagogue if they can't carry them. [Most cities with large Jewish populations have an eruv - usually, it's a wire running along electrical poles, and it makes it possible to carry things within that area on Shabbat. The eruv in Toronto is really big (most of the city and Thornhill). Some follow stricter opinions and don't rely on the general eruv.

Re: Abba and Raffa

"Avinu" (our father) gets used in some Hebrew prayers. I've only heard Abba used for intimate, spontaneous prayer in some Hasidic sects (I think I remember hearing it in the movie Ushpizin). There is a reference to God healing the sick in the Amidah prayer, said 3x/day, but the title Raffa is not used. In any event, all streams of mainstream Judaism are perfectly clear that (1) saving a life comes before everything else, and (2) people have an obligation to safeguard their health, which includes seeking medical treatment and following medical advice. Doctors are seen as a vessel through which the divine blessing of healing may flow.

Raffa vs. Rapha - there's no difference, the Hebrew alphabet is different so it's all transliteration.

Re: using lights on Shabbat

These days, people use timers so that the lights go on and off at set times. You can also program your oven. The idea is to avoid starting or extinguishing a fire on Shabbat itself, although benefiting from an existing fire is fine. The rule for fire got extended to electrical devices in most cases. The rules are only for Jews, so there's nothing wrong according to Jewish law with a non-Jew turning on a light, but Jews are not supposed to ask a non-Jew to do it directly. If you have an ongoing understanding with a neighbor, you could say, "Wow, it's dark in here" if there's a power outage in the area which messes up all the pre-set stuff.

Only responding since some non-trolls seemed curious, and I don't mind genuine questions.

Thank You! :D

Avon used to make a peel-off nail polish that came in colors other than pink. I had a dark red color and an orange one. Even though I hate orange polish, for the most part, it was fun to apply and peel off.

I would like to mention that for those of you that have paints that may need to be tossed soon because they are separating or starting to dry out, I reccomend buying metal BB gun balls, which are available at most sporting good stores. I add 3 or 4 to each distressed bottle and then roll between my palms. Because there is more than one ball in each bottle, the paints mix quickly and don't need to be tossed out. I managed to revive at least 20 different bottles of nail polish this way.

To go sort of OT, remember glitter paint stuff. I used to put it on my cheeks and by my eyes when I went rollerskating. I thought I was cool. I was all sparkly Sadly... now that I think about it. Jim Bob would have probably thought it was sexy yuck!

Once upon a time, there was a nail polish designed to be peeled off...It was THE AWESOME. You didn't have tiny chips that would scatter everywhere, it came off 'clean'...it was just fun

("I liked your post" can become my 'pretend signature' :lol: )

HA, apparently it still exists, but is marketed to kids:

http://www.amazon.com/Expressions-Peel- ... eel+polish

http://www.amazon.com/AllyKats-Water-ba ... eel+polish

Elmer's glue is better for that.

Avon used to make a peel-off nail polish that came in colors other than pink. I had a dark red color and an orange one. Even though I hate orange polish, for the most part, it was fun to apply and peel off.

I would like to mention that for those of you that have paints that may need to be tossed soon because they are separating or starting to dry out, I reccomend buying metal BB gun balls, which are available at most sporting good stores. I add 3 or 4 to each distressed bottle and then roll between my palms. Because there is more than one ball in each bottle, the paints mix quickly and don't need to be tossed out. I managed to revive at least 20 different bottles of nail polish this way.

I have "liked" your post. :lol:

I have "liked" your post. :lol:

Thank you. Your "like" is much appreciated. :lol:

This meme is better than the giraffe one that's going around Facebook right now, maybe we'll luck out and get it as a user title. :lol:

I bought nail polish the other day, and it came with a little metal ball in it!

No idea about the motivations or background of the OP here, but I did grow up somewhere with no Jewish people and the idea of a Shabbos goy isn't just common knowledge to most people. I was surprised to learn recently when it came up in conversation that my middle-aged parents had never heard the concept. (I think I learned about it as a kid reading one of those Dear America books about a Jewish immigrant girl.) Like pretty much every religious practice, yes, it does sound very weird if you're not used to it.

Going "whoa, those people are weird" is a terrible reaction when you learn about a new tradition, though (especially when it's from someone who has no awareness that their traditions would seem equally strange to someone unfamiliar with them). I've even actually been surprised to find myself feeling a bit offended here sometimes when people go on about a fundie practice that's familiar and harmless to me but new and strange to them.

Me too. I come from a province that probably has only two or three Jewish families. They have a small synagogue, but no rabbi. 96% of the population is either Catholic or Protestant, and although I had both a Muslim and a Zoroastrian friend during elementary and jr. high school (and yes, I found their religions fascinating too!), I'm sure I had never met a Jewish person until I moved away when I was 25. It's not fair to assume that everybody has had exposure to a variety of belief systems.

ETA: I swear by the Sally Hansen Salon Manicure polishes. There's something about the shape of the brushes that helps me apply it perfectly. :dance:

Some of mine have little metal balls in, and I always wondered what they were for :)

Yeah, it took me awhile to figure out what it was for, too. :lol: It sounds weird, but if you've had the polish for awhile, and it starts to clot or separate, sometimes the single ball won't mix it at all - it just sticks. But add two or three more metal BBs, shake it up, and whalla! Instantly freshened nail paints.

Some of mine have little metal balls in, and I always wondered what they were for :)

You have little metal balls? Maybe you oughta see a doctor about that! :dance: :dance:

The prohibition is only against carrying things outside.

It's outside on public property, right? I thought that some Orthodox neighborhoods put up string "fences" before Shabbat so people could carry things on "private" property. I read an article a long time ago about a neighborhood in New York where a snowstorm destroyed the fences and caused havoc because nobody could do any carrying outdoors as they'd planned.

If I like-a you and you like-a me,

And we like-a both the posts.

I like to say, this very day,

Liking from coast to coast.

I'm finding this thread quite likeable, and have realized the likelihood of me giving even more likes to various comments is extremely likely. :banana-dance:

I'm finding this thread quite likeable, and have realized the likelihood of me giving even more likes to various comments is extremely likely. :banana-dance:

I will like like your post :)

You have little metal balls? Maybe you oughta see a doctor about that! :dance: :dance:

How could one NOT like this post? :dance:

All right, in the spirit of things I just "liked" all y'all's posts.

:D

And now I think I'm going to try to find some glue and pour it all over my hands just so I can peel it off.

And now I think I'm going to try to find some glue and pour it all over my hands just so I can peel it off.

Gonna totally show my age here but in fourth grade my friend and I used to smear the backs of our hands with glue to make "tortillas" so that our Beanie Babies could eat burritos. The filling was made of eraser shavings.

...just realized that we pretty much had Maxwell Beanie Babies what with all the burrito eating.

Just make sure you do it at the beginning of class so you don't have to go to your next class before it dries fully.

Archived