IGNORED

the Chinese are uncreative cause takeout is all the same

antares

Okay, so I'll be honest and say that this is kinda personal since I'm asian-american ;P But this was just ridiculous to me :shock:

lionoftheblogosphere.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/dutch-chinese-food/

This bloke live in NEW YORK CITY, for god's sake, yet he's judging chinese food by takeout?? :? Earth to darling, you live in a mecca of asian chefs doing crazy ass things. Then he's all wowed cause a Dutch owned "chinese food" chain is appearently so creative because they have a system where you pick the raw ingredients and they cook it for you, and this shows that Chinese people are uncreative cause chinese takeout tends to be the same old greasy msg, low-quality stuff everywhere :lol: And the reason it's all the same is cause it sells; just like other generic, popular stuff like Olive Garden. Of course I could use his logic to say the same thing about Italians. ALl the fast 'italian' places I've been to are the same old mediocre pizza, pasta, and salad; this is a sign of uncreativity among the Italian people :evil-eye:

I mean fuck, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and there's been 'asian' places (with asian owners) here with the 'pick raw ingredients, we cook it' thingy. It's really not that rare. :roll:

And check out this gem of a comment:

"It’s beta to imitate and churn out sub par products. Alphas put out the best.

Chinese and Asian food for the most part in NYC, is reflection of Asians and their beta qualities. I also find traditional Asian food to be awfully smelly, and therefore not to my liking.

Chinese restaurants in Spain, at least the Chinese in that part of the world, has gotten it right. They take the usual fare such as egg rolls, fried rice and General Tso’s Chicken, and refine them by using the freshest ingredients with the proper cooking techniques. Chinese food in Spain is expensive due to this reason. No Spaniard will patronize a foreign restaurant that serves strange food that isn’t good.

I’m hoping to see one of the Asian Cronut freaks in Soho, come up with a red bean filling."

Well one, egg rolls, and tso's chicken aren't Chinese, and fried rice in Asia is pretty different from fried rice here. And just cause you don't like 'traditional' asian food dosen't mean it's uncreative or 'beta.' If you're looking for Asian foodies coming up with cool shit you're gonna find it New York fucking city of all places, trust me, so I'm not sure just what you're seeing when you're there.

If it's betas who make subpar stuff, does that mean all races of people are betas? Cause I'm pretty sure white people can make some pretty subpar shit as well.

:angry-banghead:

Speaking as someone who has eaten her way through more than a few Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese restaurants in NYC, this guy knows not what the HELL he is talking about. A good Dim Sum place is a thing of both culinary and artistic perfection, and good Dim Sum houses are not exactly rare in NYC. Thai and Vietnamese food in NYC is "beta"? Yeah, OK.

While granted in a restaurant culture as huge as NYC's, there are going to be some places that are a disgrace to what ever ethnic food they are poorly representing. But look at it like this, no one who is not Chinese would know what bad Chinese takeout was if there weren't so may good Chinese restaurants to compare them to.

NYC does not have wonderful and creative Asian restaurants? For. Fuck's. Sake!

ETA: There are a couple of Mongolian places in Bumblefuck, New Jersey that have had the pick your own veggies, type of meat and sauces, and then bring up to be cooked going on 25 years. So much for Dutch brilliance.

Lol I just looked at the comments. Wow, he's really full of himself :/

Oh and aretejo, it's cause people like you are appearently "proles" and stuff white people likes who like to pat yourself on the back for being tolerant by eating fake asian food cause you wouldn't be caught dead in an asian place actually filled with asians, LOL.

Honestly the way he likes to call people proles is pretty offensive. And if yu read his blog it's a sign you think outside the box. *smacks forehead

He's really not as bright or edgy as he thinks he is.

So it doesn't occur to this guy that Chinese take-out in America is actually American food, geared toward American fast-food tastes?

It's a bit like saying that all Mexican food is Taco Bell, all Italian food is Pizza Hut, and all American food is McDonald's.

Yeahhh I don't get Chinese take out for authentic Chinese food. I go because I want the same old American/Asian food.

It's just like Mcdonalds. I can go to almost any city in America, find a cheap Chinese place, and get the same food even though each restaurant is run by different people. It's comforting and reliable.

Isn't the whole purpose of Chinese take out so that you can have a basic idea of what you are getting no matter where you order from. Sure each place may have a slightly different selection in the "Chef's Specials" section or whatever that particular place calls it, but they all have the same basic "staple" dishes, which you know what to expect within a certain small degree of variation.

Now I want Chinese food for supper!

One cute thing about many small towns here is that they all seem to have a restaurant serving "Chinese and Canadian food". Everyone knows that this means Cantonese food standardized and interpreted for small town Canadian tastes, and if that's too exotic, they'll serve toast as well.

As a kid, I used to think that there were 2 types of Chinese food - Montreal and Toronto. Like every other type of food, my parents insisted that Montreal Chinese food was superior, and were known to take back big packages of egg roles from House of Wong, along with a whole smoked meat brisket from Schwartz's. Later on, as our area became increasingly Asian, they discovered dim sum and had a revelation that this was real Chinese food.

One cute thing about many small towns here is that they all seem to have a restaurant serving "Chinese and Canadian food". Everyone knows that this means Cantonese food standardized and interpreted for small town Canadian tastes, and if that's too exotic, they'll serve toast as well.

As a kid, I used to think that there were 2 types of Chinese food - Montreal and Toronto. Like every other type of food, my parents insisted that Montreal Chinese food was superior, and were known to take back big packages of egg roles from House of Wong, along with a whole smoked meat brisket from Schwartz's. Later on, as our area became increasingly Asian, they discovered dim sum and had a revelation that this was real Chinese food.

A common thing in the UK is to have a Chinese chip shop - bog standard Chinese takeaway combined with a fish and chip shop. We have one in our village - the only take-away available for about 5 miles! Both the Chinese food and the fish and chips are great, and if you should require chips with your chow mein, you only have to go to one place!

A common thing in the UK is to have a Chinese chip shop - bog standard Chinese takeaway combined with a fish and chip shop. We have one in our village - the only take-away available for about 5 miles! Both the Chinese food and the fish and chips are great, and if you should require chips with your chow mein, you only have to go to one place!

In NYC we have Chinese/Mexican places, which are surprisingly edible. You can't really say it's the best Chinese or Mexican food you've ever had, but then, you don't generally go for cheap Chinese or cheap Mexican food because you want a culinary revelation.

*clears throat* The first place my family took me after I was baptized was a NYC Chinese restaurant. It was the family law that one only went to Chinese restaurants where Chinese people ate. My grandparents grew up on Mott St., near where Little Italy met Chinatown. The late, great 20 Mott St. (its name=its address) dim sum parlor, where I celebrated my 45th birthday, was a transcendent experience.

Brotherman is an eedjit. Only a dimbulb would expect, say, Plan B Burger Bar food at McDonald's.

Chinese cuisine is one of the world's great cooking traditions.

Case in point: Julia Child served in the OSS in China at the end of World War II along with the man she would soon marry, Paul Child. She and Paul used to dine out as often as they could and she considered Chinese food a real revelation. If Paul had not been sent to France with the Foreign Service, she might have become a great champion of Chinese food instead of French cuisine.

Chinese cuisine is one of the world's great cooking traditions.

Case in point: Julia Child served in the OSS in China at the end of World War II along with the man she would soon marry, Paul Child. She and Paul used to dine out as often as they could and she considered Chinese food a real revelation. If Paul had not been sent to France with the Foreign Service, she might have become a great champion of Chinese food instead of French cuisine.

When people ask me what my favorite place I have traveled is (I rewrote that four times and I still think it is grammatically wrong. I blame my Benadryl addled brain.

Anyhow I always say I don't have a favorite, but that for food China was my favorite.

There is a hole in the wall Chinese place by me that I was introduced to by a friend from Hong Kong. When we go there, we ask them if we can have what the servers themselves are eating for dinner. It is never on the menu, but that is where I got introduced to the joys of whole steamed fish in black bean sauce, watercress and chicken soup, and a pork belly and tomato stir fry. Wonderful, wonderful things. Calling the Chinese uncreative cooks is like calling Italians pedestrian pasta makers.

You know, this reminds me of when an acquaintance from school spent two weeks in Beijing and went through Wangfujing street where all the exotic foods were sold for adventurous tourists. For some reason, he ended up thinking that this was "real" Chinese food and came back telling everyone how he hated "real" Chinese food because it was scorpions and fried fungus and "really weird stuff".

I think he was also trying to get a raise out of me because he kept on saying that really loud and looking at me. I eventually tried to tell him that what he ate was NOT "real" Chinese food but food made to entertain tourists, including Chinese tourists who want to sample some really strange stuff. I even said my family lived in Beijing for ten years, plus I grew up eating "real" Chinese food, but he was adamant that his two weeks in China outweighed my entire life's experience with Chinese cuisine. Acquaintance was adamant that all Chinese people eat friend bugs and weird squid soup and so glad that American Chinese food was so much better.

My other friends, who've never been to China, didn't know how to reply, only that they ate "real" Chinese food at my parents' house and know the real stuff can be good. This is a pretty smart kid, so I'm not sure how he could spend two weeks in China and not have access to regular old dumplings, pork buns and spicy noodles that most Chinese eat. Maybe he wanted to just see my reaction, although every time I tried to explain to him what he actually ate, he'd insist that he was right and had eaten "real" Chinese food (because it was sold in China, so it must be what a billion people all eat, all the time).

That was probably the only instant of someone telling me they had a negative experience with native Chinese cuisine. Most of my friends have never had "real" Chinese food until they meet my parents, and they universally have loved what my parents cook.

Sometimes, I have heard people tell me (apologetically) that the dislike Chinese food because the takeouts they've had is so greasy and probably filled with MSG. I sometimes laugh and tell them it ain't Chinese food they were eating so no need to apologize.

My husband always loved American-Chinese food but took an instant liking to "real" Chinese food when he met me. We eat "real" Chinese about half the time now. Still, he'll get cravings for "fake" Chinese food occasionally and we go out to eat at a buffet.

Asian? ASIAN? There are over fifty countries in Asia, with different cuisine, languages, culture, political ideology, etc. He's going to say Asian food is beta? Fucker never saw footage of Japanese schoolchildren being trained to annihilate Allied soldiers in WWII.

I was pretty excited to find our local chinese food place makes Springfield Cashew Chicken. THis cashew chicken is a variation of cashew chicken that they serve in Springfield, Missouri. I've never had it anywhere else.

Even in the states, chinese food is different depending on the region of the states you live in.

By the way, the chinese food I used to eat in the UK wasn't anything like we have here in the midwest US.

Dan-dan noodles. Oh, lordy, how I love the dan-dan noodles at the local Szechuan place. And this fish with hot peppers that I can't remember the name for. And I don't even like fish! And the lamb, which has cumin and cilantro. I drool thinking about it.

Idiot's eating at the wrong places.

Archived