IGNORED

the new online only VF catalog is up....

danvillebelle

I just wish it contained the Greece Trip Pics. :(

Maybe VF is planning a special DVD (and accompanying coffee table book) release just in time for your holiday shopping. What a blessing for Doug Phillips (who is a tool)'s bank account those you love!

I am once again reminded that Doug Phillips is a tool.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It amuses me that they sell faux Lego & faux American Girl dolls. Even the Hazardous Journeys Society is a poor hybrid of the Dangerous Sports Club, Dinotopia & Edwardian Gentleman Explorers.

WHY do they sell faux Lego? Is there something defrauding/compromising/"unchristian" about normal Lego? I can kind of get why they sell dolls (modest clothing etc) but Lego?

WHY do they sell faux Lego? Is there something defrauding/compromising/"unchristian" about normal Lego? I can kind of get why they sell dolls (modest clothing etc) but Lego?

It might be because Lego is a Danish company. Anything Scandinavian is liberal & ebil. You don't want to be supporting countries with marxist welfare systems!!!!!!

American Girl dolls are actually very modest & lots of the characters are historical.

It might be because Lego is a Danish company. Anything Scandinavian is liberal & ebil. You don't want to be supporting countries with marxist welfare systems!!!!!!

American Girl dolls are actually very modest & lots of the characters are historical.

Conservative Christians once threatened to boycott American Girl over their partnership with Girls Inc. I can't remember the details but it was about 8 years ago.

The history stuff reminds me of the line from "Lies My Teacher Told Me" about how history textbooks always have titles with value judgments in them. Other textbooks aren't like that--they have names like Chemistry, not Rise of the Molecule.

Rise of the Molecule could be a dig about the size of Doug the Tool's tool. :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew:

Some years back, in a VF catalog, a little girl gave the following "testimonial": "I like my [VF] dolls better than American Girl dolls because they're Christian." No, honey--they're plastic. A doll is an inanimate object. You get to name her what you want and invent a life for her. My God, do children have to be taught how to play with dolls nowadays? Back in the Pleistocene, my Barbies weren't named Barbie and my Chatty Cathy wasn't named Cathy.

Some years back, in a VF catalog, a little girl gave the following "testimonial": "I like my [VF] dolls better than American Girl dolls because they're Christian." No, honey--they're plastic. A doll is an inanimate object. You get to name her what you want and invent a life for her. My God, do children have to be taught how to play with dolls nowadays? Back in the Pleistocene, my Barbies weren't named Barbie and my Chatty Cathy wasn't named Cathy.

Perhaps Doug (Phillips who is a tool) specially baptized and anointed each of the dolls to ensure that VF can market them as "Christian". I don't think he would approve of girls inventing lives for their dolls, since they might imagine them having jobs, going to school, wearing pants, going on Hazardous Journeys, and engaging in other defrauding activities. The available outfits and accessories in the catalogue targeting girls send a strong message about what VF considers "appropriate" play activities for girls.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Not sure where we're getting the idea that the products are faux. They're described carefully as LEGO with the trademark symbol. That tells me they are indeed LEGOs, made by LEGO with licensing rights sold to VF for these products.

Not sure where we're getting the idea that the products are faux. They're described carefully as LEGO with the trademark symbol. That tells me they are indeed LEGOs, made by LEGO with licensing rights sold to VF for these products.

I think she is referring to the building blocks not the stop motion films.

If you have a chance, look at the videos and watch the trailer for 'Indescribable'. It just makes me crack up over and over again.

If you have a chance, look at the videos and watch the trailer for 'Indescribable'. It just makes me crack up over and over again.

My favourite is the trailer for Into the Amazon. So much snark. Plus anacondas!

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Someone on the Vision Forum facebook page is offering to pay for a paper copy of their catalog because her family "collects them." What a treasured heirloom to pass down to future generations... :roll:

Someone on the Vision Forum facebook page is offering to pay for a paper copy of their catalog because her family "collects them." What a treasured heirloom to pass down to future generations... :roll:

Fess up, FJers! Which one of us is this!

I like the description for the nano block building set on page 39: "Want to be an architect? How about an airplane builder? Well, there's no degree required to work out your model-building urges."

1) Subtle dig at "teh ebil" college education? Or maybe a critique of all those unnecessary government regulations about having educated, licensed people building structures that don't fall down or planes that don't come apart in the sky? Silly, I know, but I rather prefer people who build planes IRL to have degrees, and I believe kids should know that yes, a degree is required quite often for those jobs.

2) Airplane "builder?" Engineer, technician, etc.

3) "model-building urges?" Just sounds gross.

4) nano blocks? Lego isn't small enough? And who wants such limited designs? My little bro and I were never happier than when dumping every Lego set together to make original stuff. Who lacks the vision to be satisfied with following instructions to make one predetermined dolphin? Oh, wait...

Fess up, FJers! Which one of us is this!

It wasn't me, but I did consider emailing them and begging for a paper copy to "share with my friends who don't have computer access". I don't think Doug (Phillips who is a tool) would be sympathetic because he probably thinks anyone without a computer is too poor, or cheap, to buy anything and fund his vacations ministry.

It wasn't me, but I did consider emailing them and begging for a paper copy to "share with my friends who don't have computer access". I don't think Doug (Phillips who is a tool) would be sympathetic because he probably thinks anyone without a computer is too poor, or cheap, to buy anything and fund his vacations ministry.

Maybe they cut off internet access because it was a temptation to sin... :think:

Surely Dougie couldn't object to that.

Maybe if you told Doug your husband commanded you to turn off the internet and you, in obedient submission, have complied he'd send you the paper copy.

Maybe they cut off internet access because it was a temptation to sin... :think:

Surely Dougie couldn't object to that.

Thought of that, plus claiming that the paper copy could be shared with random people during my travels, like at the supermarket or doctor's office. I think Doug (Phillips who is a tool) would just interpret this to mean that I am too poor to afford a computer and unlikely to spend money on the catalogue stuff--and, therefore, unworthy of his time and attention. VF doesn't strike me as being too interested in the "poors", unless it's people living in exotic locations who can pose for "ministry" photo ops and/or shlep equipment around during VF vacations "mission" trips.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

4) nano blocks? Lego isn't small enough? And who wants such limited designs? My little bro and I were never happier than when dumping every Lego set together to make original stuff. Who lacks the vision to be satisfied with following instructions to make one predetermined dolphin? Oh, wait...

OT, but do they even make generic LEGO sets anymore, or are they all geared to a specific model?

(Oh, and Doug Phillips is a tool.)

What on earth???

media.visionforum.com/blogs/doug/2013/10/10946/

Edited to add - I'm so confused by this convoluted, bargain basement Indiana Jones treasure hunt Dougie is promoting now. What if the message turns out to be, "Doug Phillips is a Tool!"

What on earth???

media.visionforum.com/blogs/doug/2013/10/10946/

Edited to add - I'm so confused by this convoluted, bargain basement Indiana Jones treasure hunt Dougie is promoting now. What if the message turns out to be, "Doug Phillips is a Tool!"

"Jubilee Weatherby?" :think:

:laughing-rolling:

There's nothing else that message could possibly be than 'Doug Phillips is a Tool.'

OT, but do they even make generic LEGO sets anymore, or are they all geared to a specific model?

(Oh, and Doug Phillips is a tool.)

Yes, you can still buy generic LEGO sets - LEGO calls them the "Bricks and More" line. Granted, 90% of their product is a kit to build a specific thing, but they still sell a box o' blocks, and you can even get more "girlie" sets that have more pink & purple bricks than the "normal" sets. There's also the Creator line, where the set comes with instructions for 3 different models, and pictures of others you can make with the same blocks. And even the model-specific kits can be used to build something else, you just have some specialized bricks in them.

My son is a LEGO fan, most of his LEGO bricks are from specific sets, but they all end up in the same bin and get used to build other stuff (like the Titanic, a building crane, etc.). He's also got a couple of boxes o' blocks, including one "girl" box - IME they're good for bulking up your LEGO bin, but they tend to be more of the plain-Jane blocks and short on the odder pieces you need to build more complicated things (like the crane we tried to build).

LEGO has a couple of idea books that they sell, too, but the most impressive one is called Brick City. There are some amazing things in there, including a LEGO model of Westminster Abbey during Will & Kate's wedding (complete with minifigure Royal Family). (If I can borrow enough blue bricks, I'm planning a modified version of the red phone box in the book. And if I ever win the Powerball, an unofficial LEGO Firefly set is at the top of the list)

I'll admit to being tempted by the Nano Block sets at Toys R Us, but they're even more expensive than LEGO for something so tiny. And I can imagine losing blocks every time you sneeze. The Nano Giza and Space Shuttle are still calling me, though. But those, tiny as they are, I'd consider more a "put together and display" thing, not a reusable thing like LEGO.

ETA: Doug Phillips is still a tool!

I'm not even joking, I clicked on this thread because I thought it said VS catalog, and was like, "Yaaaay, let's discuss bras!"

Awkward.

Archived