IGNORED

On Fb - Your baby won't starve w/o WIC whip out the boobs

Chowder Head

Barack Obama's Dead Fly · 199,500 like this

22 hours ago ·

On people who keep saying they need to buy baby formula or their babies will starve to death. On a personal note here, I never ever once bought baby formula. God provided me with a gift, as he does with all mothers that doesn't cost a penny. It is called breasts and they provide your baby with all the nutrition that is needed except for Vitamin D, which you can get with another free thing called the sun. I keep wondering why no one has pointed that fact out. Some people might be vitamin deficient, but it is rare. JMc

https://www.facebook.com/barackobamasde ... 7167897740

the comments are just to damn much. Theya re even attacking the people that are trying to defend none breast feeder.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dindt read the comments(the facebook link isnt working to me) but that quote that you post here sounds perfectly normal to me, what she is saying is the true, breastfeeding is as good as babyformula if not better and is free.

Breastfeeding is free, but if you have a three month old baby and you have never breastfed, then it's not like you can start now. You are all dried up.

Not every woman can breast feed, for many reasons. And if your baby isn't a newborn, you can't just turn the faucet back on because you can't afford formula.

Seriously?

There are many reasons why a baby cant breastfeed. What about the child of the mother who hasnt been able to produce more milk, or had breast cancer and lost both breasts? Or the child who is being raised by a single dad because the mother died? Or the baby in foster care because their parents neglected them, or who was adopted and their adoptive parents cant produce milk. Or what if the mother has some kind of disease that can be passed on through drinking infected breastmilk, so is protecting her child by using formula? Or what if the mother chose not to breastfeed when the baby was born, but now doesnt make milk anymore so cant start breastfeeding. Its not like you can just choose to start breastfeeding again once theyve dried up from not being used.

To add to the above, your working mother needing WIC probably isn't in the type of job that makes it possible to manage to breastfeed, ie enabling pumping, etc.

Mostly though it's like that person didn't know how boobs work. "Oh gee, I need to switch to breastfeeding now, LET ME GET RIGHT ON THAT."

Wow. I have a three-month-old at the moment. I wanted very much for her to be 100% breastfed, as my son was. The first month of her life was a breastfeeder's nightmare. We had every problem under the sun, from thrush to jaundice to cracks and bleeds to low/delayed milk supply... you name it, we had it. As a result, I had no choice but to supplement. In her 2nd month I was determined to up my supply through pumping. It did not work. She is now 50/50 breastfed and formula fed. To judge those moms who can't breastfeed is really not okay. For some of them, like me, it is heaping guilt upon the guilt and sadness they already feel. I am stable enough now at three mos. postpartum that I can handle it, but if someone had talked smack about me using formula a couple of months ago, I would have cried.

I've been a volunteer with national breastfeeding support organizations for more than 30 years. Yes, mothers who aren't breastfeeding CAN usually re-lactate (bring in a milk supply and start nursing again), but it's a lot of work and needs a the support of a knowledgable pediatrician, and an board-certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) or other breastfeeding support person (Breastfeeding USA Counselor, LLL Leader, NCT counsellor, ABA counsellor, etc) and a very committed mother. The baby will still need to eat while the mom is bringing her milk supply in and, unless the parents can arrange for donor milk, that baby will need formula.

Hmm. I was on WIC with my twin girls, because they needed preemie formula calories in addition to my pumped milk (at the tune of $500/month). Even then, I could only pump for 6 weeks, until I went back to work. Because whipping out the old pump in front of 8th grade students isn't an option, and when we have to cut educational programs due to lack of funding, you can bet your bottom dollar they aren't going to find coverage for me to pump.

I don't have children but if I'm ever lucky enough, I know I won't be able to BF due to medication I'm taking, that just happens to, oh, I don't know - SAVE MY LIFE. I've had friends whose milk didn't come in quickly, couldn't produce enough, had masectomies, etc.

Not even a mom and I've had it up to here with self-righteous, holier than thou BFers. :pull-hair:

Seriously?

There are many reasons why a baby cant breastfeed. What about the child of the mother who hasnt been able to produce more milk, or had breast cancer and lost both breasts? Or the child who is being raised by a single dad because the mother died? Or the baby in foster care because their parents neglected them, or who was adopted and their adoptive parents cant produce milk. Or what if the mother has some kind of disease that can be passed on through drinking infected breastmilk, so is protecting her child by using formula? Or what if the mother chose not to breastfeed when the baby was born, but now doesnt make milk anymore so cant start breastfeeding. Its not like you can just choose to start breastfeeding again once theyve dried up from not being used.

I couldn't breastfeed my children because of inverted nipples, even my obstetrician who was a fierce member of the breastfeed mafia told me, this is going to be hell for mother and child, so don't breastfeed.

I agree with all of your points, and obviously there are many reasons why women can't breastfeeding, and certainly can't just re-lactate on demand BUT I also think that it is atrocious that WIC is the largest purchaser of formula in the U.S. and that formula is offered as a first option on WIC without a medical reason ( any of the ones mentioned here, or many others) or the mother needing to go back to work.

I think what this poster is missing out on is that WIC is for women, infants, and children. Starving mothers don't make a lot of breast milk. For mothers on WIC who are breastfeeding (at least in my state) the bf-ing mom gets extra vouchers for her own nutrition. I bet those coupons are worth more then the formula vouchers.

I get that there is some corruption in the WIC system, and have actually witnessed a few abuses personally, but I am ok with a few people scamming the system if it means other little babies and their moms don't go hungry.

fuck that poster and the horse she rode in on.

(I BF exclusively for 18 months--while working full time. All in all, it was an 'easy' BFing relationship and it went textbook well. But I am incredibly privileged--to have a job that was willing to work with me/give me breaks, that I didn't hav eany production problems, that I had supportive family, that my child was healthy and latched, that I didn't have to eat a restrictive diet in order to BF, etc. And I am all for supporting moms to BF--and after all of the work, I completely understand and appreciate the reasons that people don't BF.

And know why I stopped? Because I had to take medicine--and it wasn't compatible to mix BFing w/ medicine to keep me healthy. It's not like people w/ chronic health conditions or any of the other myriad reasons to not BF can just 'decide' to do it 'right' and BF.

Yes, the largest food package available through WIC is for breastfeeding mothers. But sometimes life demands formula.

I totally agree. I was just saying that her argument that breastmilk is "free" is not true. It takes calories to make calories.

WIC, at least in Missouri, is for low-income people with children 5 years and under. Last time I checked, the vast majority of kids between the ages of 2 and 5 don't breastfeed.

My mom breast fed me for a week and everything was going fine until she cut her hand while washing dishes and got a blood infection. She was nervous about if the meds they gave her would effect me so she stopped breast feeding me while taking them. Afterwards I refused to breast feed again. Sometimes life happens in ways you don't plan. Nobody, certainly no child, should starve because of it.

i dindt read the comments(the facebook link isnt working to me) but that quote that you post here sounds perfectly normal to me, what she is saying is the true, breastfeeding is as good as babyformula if not better and is free.

But it's not "freely gifted by God" to all new mothers. Some struggle greatly with breastfeeding.

What happens when gods "gift" malfunctions? My mom tried to breast feed me but I wasn't getting enough milk that way. We were not Ina position where we needed WIC, but if we were, should I have been forced to starve to death just because my mom couldn't feed me?

But... but... babiez are born with tiny bootstraps and they should work on pulling themselves up by the baby bootstraps and not rely on WIC! Because even if they can't hold their heads up, they can definitely have enough muscle control for bootstrap-pulling!

I was breastfed for the first 6 months. Unfortunately, I was born with both of my hips dislocated. When it became clear that I was going to need surgery, my mom switched me to formula because, as she put it, "I wasn't going to try to breastfeed you while you were in traction."

What happens when gods "gift" malfunctions? My mom tried to breast feed me but I wasn't getting enough milk that way. We were not Ina position where we needed WIC, but if we were, should I have been forced to starve to death just because my mom couldn't feed me?

According to the people that posted this nonsense: probably, yes.

Archived