IGNORED

PTSD is a sinful coping mechanism, Ya'll

VooDooChild

Mental illness is deep-rooted sin NOT a chemical imbalance blah, blah, blah. :roll: From my experience (as a patient with anxiety and depression, and biology and counseling courses) mental illnesses are seen as biological not chemical and have been (mostly) for about a dozen years or so now. But her response in the comments about PTSD... :pink-shock:

lightnercrew.com/2011/10/14/mental-illness-the-product-of-your-childhood-unconfessed-deep-rooted-sin/

Ummm...... :? Anxiety attacks, flashbacks, nightmares, irrational fears, etc. uh, I'm sorry but I fail to understand how someone suffering with these symptoms is "coping".

Mental illness is deep-rooted sin NOT a chemical imbalance blah, blah, blah. :roll: From my experience (as a patient with anxiety and depression, and biology and counseling courses) mental illnesses are seen as biological not chemical and have been (mostly) for about a dozen years or so now. But her response in the comments about PTSD... :pink-shock:

lightnercrew.com/2011/10/14/mental-illness-the-product-of-your-childhood-unconfessed-deep-rooted-sin/

Ummm...... :? Anxiety attacks, flashbacks, nightmares, irrational fears, etc. uh, I'm sorry but I fail to understand how someone suffering with these symptoms is "coping".

Disgusting, next they will claiming demonic possession is the reason for mental illness. :twisted:

Wow, very snarkable, both in content and in proofing

Allow me to elaborate…I’m all for homemaking and homeshcooling, after all I am a homemaker AND homeschooler

Desireing to be a Woman after God’s own heart.

My hearts cry…

The Guiltrip of Motherhood – Guilt free zone!

Even if you wanted to work outside the home to pay for your children to go to a Christian school, you made a big mistake. Better that you should stay in the home and raise your own children to be godly then to pass it on to somebody else.

Oh fuck her.

I have diagnosed PTSD from surviving a shooting, and I can definitely say that it is not a "coping mechanism." From what she writes it is obvious she knows next to nothing about mental illnesses or mental disorders.

Also, heading your blog post with a quote from Sigmund Freud? Considering he had been dead for about 75 years, one should probably realize he had a much different opinion of what constituted as "modern psychiatry."

Once again we have someone sharing the view from having her head up her ass. I wouls love to start editing blogs with "red pen" and sending the corrections back as comments. Unfortunately I fear I would never be able to stop.

THIS is the number one fundie belief that makes me angry, even before their views on women. I know quite a few people who have mental issues of some sort (including my mother), and they sure as hell aren't the ones who deserve to have it (not that anyone does), certainly not because of some 'sin issue'.

A while ago I posted a status on Facebook that said I was feeling a bit depressed that day. My two fundie friends and my fundie-lite relatives both proceeded to comment on it, saying I was depressed because I didn't believe in God hard enough. Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. Another time, my fundie friend's mother basically told me that my mother had mental problems as a punishment for divorcing my father (and, she implied, for not worshipping, oh sorry I mean respecting him enough when they were married).

Religion- making otherwise nice people say horrible things since forever.

Once again we have someone sharing the view from having her head up her ass. I wouls love to start editing blogs with "red pen" and sending the corrections back as comments. Unfortunately I fear I would never be able to stop.

There are not enough red ink pens at all the Office Maxes in the world to copy edit this bitch's sloppy writing.

More on-topic: I just want to punch this horribly uncaring and insensitive fanny into next week. Mental illness is not a joke and it isn't brought on by some horrible sin we committed in the past. I believe mental illness can be situational or chemical or a combination of both. Mental illness should be taken seriously and dealt with using kindness, empathy and willingness to listen to another person's plight. I recently joined a support group for people dealing with mental health issues. It is truly heartbreaking to hear their stories. But we all listen and try to provide wise counsel, non-judgment and at the very least a shoulder to cry on. Are these people sinners? Well, aren't we all? But they are also people; they deserve compassion, not derision from a thoughtless, spoiled, arrogant fundie bimbo who can't even spell school correctly.

Last year I interviewed a man who runs a coffee shop that provides counseling for our veterans. Many of these veterans suffer from PTSD. The man I interviewed also has suffered from PTSD and suicidal thoughts but getting counseling and being in a support group helped him immensely. The fact that this bitch would denigrate a veteran for being sinful because of mental health issues makes me so stabby I want to scream.

The irony of denying chemical imbalances and genetic dispositions because of a lack of "proof" while basing all her decisions on the bible. :angry-banghead:

Hey, tootsie pie--how is it that sociopaths and psychopaths so rarely are depressed? Here ya go--shot holes in your fucked-up argument right off the bat.

I used to be a devout Catholic (oops--wrong king of Christian, but whatevs). I was also EXTREMELY depressed most of the time. Now I'm on Prozac and am a UU. Almost NO depression. Funny how that happened.

What a load of malarkey.

She can kiss my round white antidepressant mood-stabilizer medicated ass. :kiss-ass:

I have come to the conclusion that there is absolutely nothing in the “genes†that cause a mental ilness & this has nothing to do with the brain

DROP EVERYTHING! AN IDIOT HAS COME TO A CONCLUSION!

So when returned servicepeople who have seen their teenage friends get blown up or set on fire and have been continuously afraid for their lives for years at a time are on their deathbed 60yrs later hallucinating about the war it's due to unconfessed sins?

I have come to the conclusion that there is absolutely nothing in the “genes†that cause a mental ilness & this has nothing to do with the brain

DROP EVERYTHING! AN IDIOT HAS COME TO A CONCLUSION!

As the wife of a veteran with PTSD I suggest, most lovingly and in the spirit of a Titus 2 mentor, that she shut the hell up and get fucked gently with a chainsaw.

Moron. Sorry but PTSD has NOTHING to do with your sin and IME Christian counselors are 100% worthless for PTSD. Sometimes, you have PTSD because you survived a brutal civil war, or watched your parents be killed or some other horror that leaves a child unable to sleep because the monsters who tortured them once torture them in their sleep for years afterward.

Honestly, I've heard this nonsense far too many times. This is what lets these fundie mothers convince themselves that *they* could never snap like Andrea Yates, because her issues were her SIN, not her poorly managed post-partum Psychosis!

I have PTSD. I've had it for 20+ years. And she's right: if you believe in the idea of sin, it WAS caused by sin--the sins of my narcissistic, physically and emotionally abusive mother and the sins of our sexually-abusive neighbor/church member.

But that's probably not what she wants to hear.

ARGH. No. Just no. No. NO. This is why people end up depressed or suicidal. Because they think that they just aren't praying hard enough. Or that they're not a good enough Christian. WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK?

This is one reason I am now separated from my husband.

To him, mental disorders of any kind are either due to sin or a "manifestation" of demonic activity.

He believes himself to be a good and faithful Christian. Therefore he cannot admit to being severely depressed and having PTSD, nor seek treatment, without either copping to being an unrepentant sinner or demon posessed. :/

I practically handed him an excuse for his behavior on a platter, bringing up PTSD. I do believe that is a huge part of the problem, and I think it's possible he may genuinely have been blackign out. But he is so set in this mindset that he couldn't take the mere suggestion that a mental issue was impacting his behavior and causing him to hurt his family.

I've been perusing this chick's blog and it is a plethora of why fundies make me stabby. Firstly, the content is truly appalling. Her bigotry and hate for anything "other"-gay, Catholic, Muslim, independent women, people struggling with mental health issues, etc is truly mind boggling.

Secondly, her attitude. She is willfully ignorant, smug, narrow-minded and lacks empathy.

Thirdly, her "writing" or as Truman Capote once put it, "that's not writing, that's typing" (and she's not even a good typist). I think this broad may be one of the worst writers I've ever come across on the Internet and that's saying something. Has she ever heard of editing? Proofing? Paragraph breaks?

I've been perusing this chick's blog and it is a plethora of why fundies make me stabby. Firstly, the content is truly appalling. Her bigotry and hate for anything "other"-gay, Catholic, Muslim, independent women, people struggling with mental health issues, etc is truly mind boggling.

Secondly, her attitude. She is willfully ignorant, smug, narrow-minded and lacks empathy.

Thirdly, her "writing" or as Truman Capote once put it, "that's not writing, that's typing" (and she's not even a good typist). I think this broad may be one of the worst writers I've ever come across on the Internet and that's saying something. Has she ever heard of editing? Proofing? Paragraph breaks?

She just oozes Christ's love! :D

How in the blazing blue hell is PTSD a coping mechanism? Does this twerp even know what a coping mechanism is? Come to that, does she know what PTSD is? Doe she know that our super-manly women-stay-home ancestors knew what it was and gave it a name--shell shock--without any of that suspicious humanistical psychology? And how in the everlasting acid hell is it in any way shape or form a coping mechanism?

Fifteen years of therapy before I could clock a week between goddamn flashbacks. Fifteen fricking years.

She can eat her own liver and die of gall.

This is one reason I am now separated from my husband.

To him, mental disorders of any kind are either due to sin or a "manifestation" of demonic activity.

He believes himself to be a good and faithful Christian. Therefore he cannot admit to being severely depressed and having PTSD, nor seek treatment, without either copping to being an unrepentant sinner or demon posessed. :/

I practically handed him an excuse for his behavior on a platter, bringing up PTSD. I do believe that is a huge part of the problem, and I think it's possible he may genuinely have been blacking out. But he is so set in this mindset that he couldn't take the mere suggestion that a mental issue was impacting his behavior and causing him to hurt his family.

I'm very sorry to hear this, maybeizfundie. I hope you and your family are managing as well as possible on your own.

oh COME ON :angry-banghead: I used to work in psychiatric genetics and I can tell you, there is plenty of scientific evidence that a) mental illness is a product of a sick brain, either through a chemical imbalance or traumatic injury, and b) there is a very real genetic component to mental illness. It never ceases to amaze me how people - not just fundies either - wilfully ignore all this evidence to fall back on comfortable ignorance.

Gosh how will I break this to my devout Christian SO, an ex special forces soldier who hasn't slept a full night in three years since his PTSD emerged. These fundie women are often so sheltered with such limited life experience, I wonder if they can even comprehend the type of trauma that leads to PTSD

Archived