IGNORED

Kelly C. thinks she has a unique idea

Hisey

Maybe Kelly does not teach long division in case her kids realise it really is just bad Maths to divide 2 chicken breasts by that amount of people.

:cracking-up:

... I was taught cursive in kindergarten (by my mom). Multiplication tables came in 2nd grade (again - mom), long division was in 3rd (same). This was on top of a public school curriculum; I just had overzealous immigrant parents.

I'm curious to know where Kelly received her doctorate in education to now be able to determine what's considered "outdated". Since clearly generations of education professionals have been doing it wrong.

Cursive being joined-up writing, innit.

From my perspective as being a bit special ed, I was strongly discouraged from writing joined-up. It was unreadable when I did it and I do not write that way to this day (I can join a couple of letters but not write continuous script). However, having beautiful writing is really nice and an excellent skill to have, and you have to keep practicing to maintain. (If all the computers died, how many people could write legibly?)

It's very confusing why someone wouldn't teach long division. I can't do it (hello! my friend calculator!) but it is an incredibly useful skill. Plan for a future with no computers and you will never go wrong.

Cursive being joined-up writing, innit.

From my perspective as being a bit special ed, I was strongly discouraged from writing joined-up. It was unreadable when I did it and I do not write that way to this day (I can join a couple of letters but not write continuous script). However, having beautiful writing is really nice and an excellent skill to have, and you have to keep practicing to maintain. (If all the computers died, how many people could write legibly?)

It's very confusing why someone wouldn't teach long division. I can't do it (hello! my friend calculator!) but it is an incredibly useful skill. Plan for a future with no computers and you will never go wrong.

Hey pal...where you been?

Remeber cursive thread of old? Not joined up. Some very hard writing style with loopy bits :lol:

Yeah, there must be a difference - cursive script does look all curly and nice, whereas joined up writing looks...prosaic?

My computer died in flames (well, not exactly flames, but it was completely fucked up). It's taken me a few weeks and a few quid to get online again.

ETA.

Maybe Kelly does not teach long division in case her kids realise it really is just bad Maths to divide 2 chicken breasts by that amount of people.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

On second thought, there's enough truth to that that maybe it's NOT so funny after all... :?

Archived