IGNORED

Patriarchy schmatriarchy says Egyptian TV journo

MamaJunebug

http://www.upworthy.com/a-religious-lea ... ig-mistake

Not broken because it's from Upworthy, which includes in its mission statement/FAQ this info:

We're a mission-driven media company. We're not a newspaper — we'd rather speak truth than appear unbiased. And we're not a political campaign — we're more interested in the powerless versus the powerful than in Democrats versus Republicans.

But we do have a point of view. We're pro-gay marriage, and we're anti-child poverty. We think the media is horrible to women, we think climate change is real, and we think the government has a lot to learn from the Internet about efficiency, disruption, and effectiveness.

And then there are dozens of issues where our curators disagree with each other — areas where there's legitimate debate to be had amongst well-meaning people. We try to encourage that debate by curating great pieces of content that represent different sides.

Anyhoo, the link above is a clip where an Egyptian TV journalist doesn't play nice with a patriarchal sort. Be sure to watch to the end. ;)

Thanks for bumping this, MJB, I had missed it earlier. First off, this chick has GUTS, because these this kind of lip to a religious leader in Egypt can have deadly consequences. Not an exaggeration. I hope she has some security precautions in place. As for the cleric, the usual suspect out for his regular exercise. He shakes them down for money, and then starts making extra demands in the name of piety.

That was brave of her. That was really brave of her.

Thanks for bumping this, MJB, I had missed it earlier. First off, this chick has GUTS, because these this kind of lip to a religious leader in Egypt can have deadly consequences. Not an exaggeration. I hope she has some security precautions in place. As for the cleric, the usual suspect out for his regular exercise. He shakes them down for money, and then starts making extra demands in the name of piety.

That was brave of her. That was really brave of her.

I know, right? That makes our confrontations of Stevehovah Maxwell and infiltrations into Dominionist overlong wedding ceremony congregations SO pale in comparison.

(No offense to pale persons. ;) )

She intrigues me and inspires me, though I don't have the courage to speak that boldly to my ultra-conservative pastor, and I truly believe he has no power over my soul nor my mortal life. I'd like to follow her career, see if she progresses, retires, is silenced - fired or worse.

A woman who calls it what it is - and in an infamously non-egalitarian setting. "Inspired" just doesn't describe it well enough. :worship:

Archived