IGNORED

Kate Gosselin - Mother of the Year

Curious

Since the girls are away at camp, it was just me and The Boy watching the show last night. He's the same age as the 6, so that made it fun. I may yet teach him to snark as well as Girl 1.

His reaction to Mady was to say that she was mean and "just like Girl 1". Oy.

I can't imagine referring to my kids as "rabid little beasts" on national television, or making it really obvious that I favor some kids over others.

I also noticed that Kate was totally dolled up for the talking segments, with those long curls and tons of makeup, and then you have her very real teen twins, being awkward and mouthy and real. I know how my girls react to moms who try too hard and seem to compete with their daughters.

It's possible that the kids will be resilient despite Kate, and just look at her as their crazy mom and accept it as a fact of life. The fact that they are multiples may help - the twins have each other, and the little boys and little girls are each a group. They may not really need their mother to be their friend or to be really nurturing, if they have strong sibling bonds. [Not saying that this is idea, just that kids can be resilient in the face of shitty parenting.]

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What blew me away during the special were all the tweets running along the screen with people raving about how it was so wonderful that Kate was so strict because the kids were so well behaved and didn't have tantrums and were so sweet -- were they watching the same show?! Because those kids seemed to bicker constantly. And Mady was bitchy as hell and Cara seems to be really off. I don't have any problem with kids being kids and 13 year old girls are notoriously difficult-- but I wouldn't describe any of those kids as particularly well behaved for their age.

Archived