IGNORED

Lori Alexander: Women Will Believe Anything

Lori says that G-d chose men to lead families and the church because women will believe any stupid thing, while men are more skeptical.

I told her it is in a man's nature to be skeptical. Most cults have been started by women. Fortune tellers, palm readers, astrologists, etc. are mostly all women.

So many women are cult leaders. Jim Jones, David Koresh, Charles Manson . . . I've also read that women as a group tend to be more involved in organized religion than men, so how does that fit in with the astrologists?

Men should be more skeptical. We women fall for things a little too easily. This method of figuring out if you are allergic to something may very well be a good thing but I thought it proved the Bible's point so well. Cassi and I were immediately gun-ho on it and Ken and Steven were not. They wanted a bit more proof before they believed it.

This is why God wants men to be in charge of marriages and churches. He is God. He made us and knows us better than we know ourselves. We can trust Him.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/08/why-do-men-tend-to-be-more-skeptical.html

Yes, women will believe anything... if they are taught to never think for themselves and blindly trust others to lead them in the right direction.

Well then how would she explain me being an agnostic and my husband a believer. I am constantly questioning him and asking in depth questions. I had to point out to the man Genesis contains two version of the creation story. Despite the fact he went to a Christian school for close to 10 years. Also as someone pointed out how does she explain the higher rate of women believing then men and their higher rates of involvement. High rates of involvement despite knowing they will never have any power.

Well then how would she explain me being an agnostic and my husband a believer. I am constantly questioning him and asking in depth questions. I had to point out to the man Genesis contains two version of the creation story. Despite the fact he went to a Christian school for close to 10 years. Also as someone pointed out how does she explain the higher rate of women believing then men and their higher rates of involvement. High rates of involvement despite knowing they will never have any power.

At the last church I attended we had a sermon, from our woman minister, that started like this. "In the first of the two creation mythis in Genesis. . . "

We were decidedly not fundie.

Most cults are started by women? I cant actually think of any female cult leaders, all the ones that come to mind are led by men.

Not all women believe anything and not all men are skeptical. Im involved in the paranormal world, and I have met both men and women of various different beliefs. It seems to me that there are more female psychics and stuff though, but thats not a cult. The most gullible person I have met, who will fall for any fake ghost picture and defend any bit of weak evidence nomatter whether a normal explanation is obvious, is a man. I think more women than men believe in ghosts, but this isnt to say all women believe anything they are told.

Except for fundie women. But all fundies believe anything they are told.

Anecdata, but I strongly doubt that men are naturally more sceptical. If they were, I wouldn't have to constantly remind my dad that just because his mates in the pub or a forum on the Internet say something it doesn't make it true :roll:

Most cults are started by women? I cant actually think of any female cult leaders, all the ones that come to mind are led by men.

I know of a few.

Some people are natural skeptical thinkers. Some of those people are women, like myself. Some people are naturally credulous. Some of those people are men.

Inculcating people in unquestioning religion enhances credulity. Teaching people the Scientific Method early and often enhances skepticism.

None of this has anything to do with what chromosomal arrangement you have regarding sex.

I am incredibly skeptical. My mother on the other hand believes almost everything she reads on the internet or hears from a friend. I research, she does not. We are both females, but very different.

My cousin has fallen into two pyramid schemes now. He believes he has a job waiting for him in Italy, even though he has absolutely no credentials in the field, because a guy he talked to a few times told him he did. He changes his religious beliefs and parenting practices almost as often as he changes his underwear. When he was muslim, I had to fill him in on the Quran and leant him a copy (this was after he was considering himself a muslim for over a year). When he was Christian, I had to explain several things from the Bible because he often mistold stories or did not get the premise. He did not want his son to be immunized for a while because of something he heard, but never actually bothered to look into. His posession of a penis does not make him anymore skeptical than anyone. My two year old niece shows more skepticism than he does.

I am incredibly skeptical. My mother on the other hand believes almost everything she reads on the internet or hears from a friend. I research, she does not. We are both females, but very different.

My cousin has fallen into two pyramid schemes now. He believes he has a job waiting for him in Italy, even though he has absolutely no credentials in the field, because a guy he talked to a few times told him he did. He changes his religious beliefs and parenting practices almost as often as he changes his underwear. When he was muslim, I had to fill him in on the Quran and leant him a copy (this was after he was considering himself a muslim for over a year). When he was Christian, I had to explain several things from the Bible because he often mistold stories or did not get the premise. He did not want his son to be immunized for a while because of something he heard, but never actually bothered to look into. His posession of a penis does not make him anymore skeptical than anyone. My two year old niece shows more skepticism than he does.

I remember one Thanksgiving where my cousin attempted, very enthusiastically, to convince my dad that his (my cousin's) new way of earning money wasn't a pyramid scheme but rather a circle. The look on my dad's face was priceless as was his ending commentary of "You're an idiot. Where's the pie?" :)

On the topic of cults, some women have started cults. One of the co-founders of Heaven's Gate was a woman who died years before the group suicide. But Lori's posting is shitty for several reasons. There are woman out in the world who are very skeptical and there men who are quite gullible. My brother worked briefly as fraud analyst and investigator at a bank. He said it was a mix of men and women who fell for various types of scams. I had a guy friend in college who fell for a "get rich" scam that was targeting college students.

I think skepticism and gullibility can sometimes vary from person to person when it comes to various situations. I know many men and women who will do research on health topics or things they hear about. When it comes to things like consumer products, I know some women who don't easily fall for certain sales pitches, while some men fall for sales pitches that turn out to be crap.

Instincts and intuition also come into play in various ways. My father tends to get bad feelings about certain things or people more than my mother does. My father's female relatives are a lot like him. They have gotten bad feelings when things have happened to their kids or bad feelings about people who their kids get involved with. One good example, was when my cousin married his first wife. My aunt liked her ex-daughter in- law early on, but she said that after the wedding happened, she started to get bad feelings about the dil. The ex dil ended up leaving my cousin for another man a few years later.

Er, well, she needs to tell that to my ex, my bf and one of my close male friends. They'd all think I'm the one who thinks too much about everything and am overly skeptical compared to them. I guess this means that I'm obviously the better person to be the leader if a leader is necessary. :whistle:

If it's on the internet it MUST be true. You can't lie on the internet. Also, would you like to meet my new boyfriend? He's a French model...

Lori is a sad, sick woman. I think her brain tumor has affected her ability to be a decent human being.

Men should be more skeptical. We women fall for things a little too easily.

Yes, Lori, you are way too gullible. You believe everything you write on the internet. Luckily, essentially all of the women on this site do not.

If it's on the internet it MUST be true. You can't lie on the internet. Also, would you like to meet my new boyfriend? He's a French model...

Bonjour! :lol:

I notice Lori hasn't had too many comments agreeing with her so far. :whistle:

Bonjour! :lol:

I notice Lori hasn't had too many comments agreeing with her so far. :whistle:

I'm surprised she allowed some of those comments to be posted. I also bet she isn't allowing some comments to be posted. I did like the below comment.

Karen · 7 hours ago

I don't think being skeptical is a man/woman trait, but more of a personal trait. Some women are more skeptical than some men. I think that I am more skeptical than my husband, for instance. Also, the cults that I can think of were started by men. Very few cults started by women come to my mind. If you do a search about cult leaders you will find most are men, not women. Whether more men or women follow cults would be different insight.

I agree with it, skepticism is more of a personal trait.

Archived