IGNORED

Last Legal NC Abortion Clinic Closing

GeoBQn

The only North Carolina abortion clinic that would have remained opened after the recent sweeping anti-abortion legislation has had its license suspended.

jezebel.com/last-legal-abortion-clinic-in-north-carolina-is-closing-984409905

I discussed with my Raleigh-raised husband that after the events of this summer, I don't want to live there in the near future--possibly ever. We are not going to be moving for a while, but he has expressed his wish to move back there someday and I think he is annoyed to hear me making pronouncements like this. Fuck it. He said he would move mountains to get me any health care I need, but I told him I was more worried about the other women who can't get what they need.

I agree,and while I don't like abortion,this makes me very, very concerned for women here.I'm surprised that my state would do this.I can't move right now though,but I don't blame you for the way you feel.

I'm a North Carolinian, too, and I'm enraged. I even went to the protest when this bill was being "debated," to no avail-- these power-mad patriarchs will have their way because they control all three branches of state government at this time. I imagine that Planned Parenthood will take this to higher court at once, and I know of a few local organizations that are organizing free rides for women to keep out-of-state appointments for abortions. It's very sad that it's had to come to this. No one *wants* to have to make that choice, but if and when it happens, it's important to have that option. Everything this legislature has done has made me ill.

FTR

A clarification/correction has been posted. This Asheville clinic was not the only abortion clinic in NC.

Also - If there is truth to the list of violation cited - those violations need to be corrected. Some sound piddly, but some sound egregious. I just followed the links in the article.

PP offers abortion services in Chapel Hill, according to the link I followed with regard to the correction on the article.

(I do not live in NC and have not verified this - I just followed the links).

There are between 50-60 clinics in NC. The only one that would have made the cut via the new legislation is this one that's been closed. The others do not have the same standards as outpatient hospital surgery centers (not the same equipment, staff, record keeping and so forth) so they are in danger of being closed abruptly when the legislation takes effect.

The way the states are enacting sweeping anti abortion laws, in five to ten years we'll back to the days of back alleys and wire hangers. North Carolina will never get another dime from me if I can help it.

This is the last tax-free weekend we'll be having here as well,thanks to the new tax legislation.Can you say EL Cheapo? It's just another way to take from us taxpayers and put more money back in their pockets.once again.

were any of the clinics closing federally funded?

Wow. That is the first I've heard of it. Man, some people (parents) are going to be mightily pissed off because this has been a tradition for a very long time.

Slight derail: I found out something interesting at the store the other day. I discovered that Lowes Foods charges tax on beer based on the pre-sale price. When I called customer service they said that was how the tax code has always been and across the board ( for groceries and alcohol anyway) the store must pay the state tax on all pre-sale, pre-discount, pre-coupon.

The way the states are enacting sweeping anti abortion laws, in five to ten years we'll back to the days of back alleys and wire hangers.

Neither New England nor the West Coast is ever going to ban abortion. Not unless things change drastically and New York goes all fundie.

They (used to?) Do abortions at UNC but its been a long time since I lived there. I know they have the set up, being that its a hospital.... ??

Man, fuck North Carolina.

I say this as a North Carolinian. I can't wait to move.

I feel your pain. I was there for a year and a half and was so desperate to get out I applied for a job in Alaska (no offense to Alaskans, but I have SAD and hate the cold).

There are between 50-60 clinics in NC. The only one that would have made the cut via the new legislation is this one that's been closed. The others do not have the same standards as outpatient hospital surgery centers (not the same equipment, staff, record keeping and so forth) so they are in danger of being closed abruptly when the legislation takes effect.

So by that token, they should close all the dental and doctor's offices that do in-office surgeries and don't have the same standards as outpatient hospital surgery standards.

Aside from setting choice back half a century, they're also denying many women any healthcare at all--abortions are a small percentage of what PP does (I worked in a clinic that did not perform abortions). A young friend of mine with no health insurance was able to go to PP, which was able to get the Susan Komen foundation to treat her breast cancer. Without that, a 26-year-old woman could die a very unnecessary death. Good job, fucktards.

Wow. That is the first I've heard of it. Man, some people (parents) are going to be mightily pissed off because this has been a tradition for a very long time.

Slight derail: I found out something interesting at the store the other day. I discovered that Lowes Foods charges tax on beer based on the pre-sale price. When I called customer service they said that was how the tax code has always been and across the board ( for groceries and alcohol anyway) the store must pay the state tax on all pre-sale, pre-discount, pre-coupon.

Neither New England nor the West Coast is ever going to ban abortion. Not unless things change drastically and New York goes all fundie.

That'll NEVER happen here. There are many things I don't like about living in NY, but our laws are NOT one of them. I do admit to being thankful I don't live in NYC, though.

Archived