IGNORED

AZ Repubs Try To Keep Atheists From Graduating High School

Ridiculous

As an agnostic I would have no issue saying that because it holds no meaning to me. I could break the 'oath' immediately and can't see any repercussions.

Same way I can "swear to god@ about something and really I don't have any repercussions if I break my promise because I am swearing to something I don't think exists. (I don't do this but I could).

However, I don't think that is the point...

That's part of the reason that many of the cases that support the right to freedom from state-enforced religion were actually brought by minority religious groups.

Swearing an oath to God can be ridiculous or offensive to an atheist...but if someone doesn't believe that it means anything, there's the temptation to just go along with it and pick another battle to fight. If someone believes that their religion makes it forbidden to swear an oath, however, they can't just let it go. While their blood transfusion cases are the most notorious, the Jehovah's Witnesses have actually played a major role in landmark cases against forced displays of nationalism or anything military-related, and religious freedoms.

Also what happens if the kid isn't a US national?

My guess since this is Arizona, they get deported, even if they've got a green card or the correct visa.

Surely I'm not the only US Federal Employee here? Like it or not, that oath is the federal oath that ALL US federal employees, including Members of Congress, take, except for the President (his Oath is slightly different).

Most federal employees don't remember it, because they just signed the form--see the OPM version here: http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/sf61.pdf instead of raising their hand and repeating it.

But trust me, if you work, or ever worked, for the US government (regardless of your citizenship), you took that oath! Don't believe me? Go to your personnel office and ask to see your signed oath of office!! : ) [often called Standard Form 61]

On the form, note the Note at the bottom of the page about opting out of of the "So Help Me God" or "swear" parts--if you object to either of those phrases, they just cross them off the form (or don't say them). No big deal. I think I omitted the "So Help me God" part last time I signed the form.

[i'm not saying that y'all don't have reason to be upset about this--just wanted to you to know that hundreds of new U.S. federal employees take this oath every day, and if they want to omit the religious parts, it isn't a problem]

Yep I took it as a federal employee, minus the "so help me God" part, I opted out. But I also made a choice to apply for and accept the job. I also recall that affirm could be substituted for swear.

My guess since this is Arizona, they get deported, even if they've got a green card or the correct visa.

Only if they aren't white. You'll notice that not a lot of Canadian illegal immigrants get deported from Arizona (I'm picking on Canada of course because there are quite a few Canadians who spend their winter months here).

That is pretty close to the oath of enlistment for the military. Wtf are they thinking?

That's what my husband said.

Me: Hey, have you heard the latest crackpot idea out of Arizona (and I read him the oath)?

Him: What the hell is wrong with those people! Are they trying to form a militia? Morons.

And then he ranted about sherriff Joe and Jan Brewer for a while.

Archived