IGNORED

Abigail's Homeschool (Poverty Style)

Koala

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now there are "boy" words and presumably "girl' words, too. Does that mean that boys don't have to spell stove, cook or laundry and girls don't have to spell sword, ax (which I learned as axe, BTW), or fire? I have a nine year old son. He just finished 4th grade. The only words he misspelled on any of his (individualized) spelling lists were the names of some of the more esoteric Greek gods.

Her method of teaching science is crazy. Science is all about connections! You can't learn about blood clotting one day and photosynthesis the next and expect to truly understand it all. Science is best taught with a mixture of didactic and hands on work. For example, learn about electricity, build a circuit, talk about electrons, talk about atoms. You really need a well equipped lab to do the experiments necesary to understand chemistry. This is where a good local community college can come in handy but I'm guessing that won't be an option for her kids.

I'm glad someone besides me learned how to spell axe with an "e"-I'm confused as to why it would be spelled otherwise.Did anyone else learn how to spell it A-X?

She talks a lot about "passing the examination" in different, older posts, so it seems there's some kind of regulation she adheres to. But what standards could that be if she PASSES?

From May, 21th:

Yesterday, I passed my Fifth Homeschool Review. It marked an anniversary of sorts. My fifth year as a teacher.

For the first time, this past homeschool review was easy. I was healed. I didn't walk into the review looking for maternal approval. I went for the business like reason of getting State approval for the good job my kids and I had already accomplished during the year.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.de/2013/05/healing-heart-of-teacher.html

But it also seems she's friendly with the teacher who gets a say in that.

I just finished scheduling my kid's homeschool portfolio review with my "person." I can't tell you what a relief it is to have a licensed school teacher whom I trust conduct this review.

This past year, I realized that I have a tendency to have anxiety in key areas of my mothering. If I find a gentle and knowledgeable professional to help me, then I have far less anxiety in my daily life. It's not that I need everything in my life to be smooth and easy all the time, it's just that there floating "spots" of mothering that can use more TLC than others.

The three people who have really made it easier for me is my pediatrician, my dentist and my homeschool reviewer.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.de/2013/04/building-my-support-team.html

I'm glad someone besides me learned how to spell axe with an "e"-I'm confused as to why it would be spelled otherwise.Did anyone else learn how to spell it A-X?

I've seen it spelled both ways.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/ax-axe/

Seems ax is an American spelling.

Ax and axe are different spellings of the same word. Axe is standard in varieties of English from outside the U.S. Axe also appears in American English, but the newer spelling, ax, has gained ground over the last half century and is now more common.

I was taught axe, so it did look a bit odd when she wrote that.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/ax-axe/

Seems ax is an American spelling.

I was taught axe, so it did look a bit odd when she wrote that.

I was also taught axe, but we were generally taught the British version of spelling: colour, favour etc.

I wonder if this was just a preference of my teachers or something more.

Ax is "American spelling". I got used to British spellings of things through reading but very often it was forbidden to use in school (marked incorrect) and in my job I've run across specific instruction *not* to use it. So I can't fault her for that.

However, I too am horrified by that spelling list for a 9 year old. Seriously? Ax? Sword? Fire? If the kid is doing *any* reading, especially "boy reading" these are no brainers at a much younger age. I have a younger child who really struggles with spelling but none of those would be a problem for him. My 9 yo is way beyond that. And yes, we homeschool.

I also was taught "axe" (in Ohio, USA). :|

Now tell me, WHY IS THIS WOMAN HOMESCHOOLING????? Ughhh....

One of the sadder posts I have seen...

If he is 9, I would expect him to be 4th grade level, not 3rd, anyway.

Public school, private school, or homeschool education: Parental choice, but emphasis on EDUCATION. Curriculum is required by all.

And with regard to the post about their public school teachers not having a curriculum: Gah. If this is the case, somebody needs to get off their ***, do something, and insist that the state intervene and enforce existing regulations about education.

The 'newer' spelling of axe? The lazy as hell spelling of axe, more like.

I mean no disrespect to people who were taught that it was ax, but whoever decided ax was an acceptable alternative to axe should suffer an a-x-e to the head.

I am grateful we home school because I can

tailor the work to her needs, but she would have struggled,

possibly even failed, if she didn't have the help I wasn't

able to provide.

I am glad your child is getting the help she needs.

However: Good public schools DO have help for kids that are not middle-of-the-road on everything. And public school education does NOT rule out parental involvement or tutoring.

WHY THE FUCK do SO MANY PEOPLE think that teaching is just some inborn intuitive thing that everyone can just do? IT'S NOT. It's a skill and, occasionally, an art. It takes years to get the hang of it.

From what I could see of the WV regulations, you only need a high school diploma to home school. I think that is the case in most, if not all, states.

I live in PA, and our hs-ing law is very similar to WV's. It is common and encouraged to foster a relationship with your portfolio evaluator so he/she can get a well-rounded picture of any progress being made. I didn't find anything suspect with Abigail being friendly with their evaluator.

I don't agree that curriculum is necessary for homeschooling or school in general. Well, a pre-packaged curriculum. There are a million ways to teach kids well. I am NOT saying Abigail is doing it, though. I honestly don't know, but I am not too hopeful that she is given the evidence so far - the sad spelling words for a 9 year old and her history of bastardizing concepts to suit her needs.

According to good old Webster, both ax and axe are acceptable spellings. :D I also prefer the 'axe' spelling, but no need to tax the poor child. :lol:

I was also taught axe, but we were generally taught the British version of spelling: colour, favour etc.

I wonder if this was just a preference of my teachers or something more.

Thanks OkToBeTakei:-)

I'm inclined to believe that it's something more than teachers preference, as I attended about a dozen gradeschools in about half as many states in the western U.S.(ND,MN,AZ,NM,&OR)-I was always taught a-x-e.I cannot recall having ever read it differently either-and I read alot.

The 'newer' spelling of axe? The lazy as hell spelling of axe, more like.

I mean no disrespect to people who were taught that it was ax, but whoever decided ax was an acceptable alternative to axe should suffer an a-x-e to the head.

Merriam-Webster, which is the default dictionary for many publishers, including academic presses, prefers "ax" over "axe." The tendency in U.S. usage is to simplify. I'm a copy editor for some quite presitigious academic publishers (and some crummy genre ones as well) and I would change "axe" to "ax" to follow Merriam-Webster, as well as general convention. In any case, like serial commas, it's a choice, not a rule.

WHY THE FUCK do SO MANY PEOPLE think that teaching is just some inborn intuitive thing that everyone can just do? IT'S NOT. It's a skill and, occasionally, an art. It takes years to get the hang of it.

I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. I graduated, got my diploma and promptly took a job in accounting. I love kids but realized I do not have the skill or patience to teach them effectively. Too bad I didn't actually realize this soon enough to change my major, but hey, at least I got there before I was in a classroom, destroying young minds! :)

I also was taught "axe" (in Ohio, USA). :|

I distinctly remember being taught that both spellings ("ax" and "axe") were equally correct. This was in the Midwest United States in the 1980s.

OnceModestTwiceShy wrote:

I completely agree! There is also quite a bit of difference between teaching young children basic concepts of reading, writing and maths and teaching high school and college aged students. I teach medical students. I love it and I think I'm reasonably good at it, but I couldn't teach my children to read. It took my mother, a trained primary school teacher, and their school to do that! On the other hand my mother couldn't put together a power-point presentation to save her life and would have no idea how to implement team based learning for medical students.

Merriam-Webster, which is the default dictionary for many publishers, including academic presses, prefers "ax" over "axe." The tendency in U.S. usage is to simplify. I'm a copy editor for some quite presitigious academic publishers (and some crummy genre ones as well) and I would change "axe" to "ax" to follow Merriam-Webster, as well as general convention. In any case, like serial commas, it's a choice, not a rule.

I'll stick with axe :lol:

Merriam Webster may be the default in the US but it is not in other English speaking countries.

Thanks OkToBeTakei:-)

I'm inclined to believe that it's something more than teachers preference, as I attended about a dozen gradeschools in about half as many states in the western U.S.(ND,MN,AZ,NM,&OR)-I was always taught a-x-e.I cannot recall having ever read it differently either-and I read alot.

Does sound like preference regarding English versus US English. I just wish both were correct for kids to use as literature spans both cultures.

One of the sadder posts I have seen...

If he is 9, I would expect him to be 4th grade level, not 3rd, anyway.

Mine is homeschooled, 9, and going into 3rd grade. His last school (private) left a great deal to be desired in terms of academics, and when we pulled him out at 8, he couldn't read, do simple math, or spell. We held him back a year to get him caught up on the basics he was missing. Maybe something like this is what's happening with Abigail's son? Learning disorder possibly?

Mine is homeschooled, 9, and going into 3rd grade. His last school (private) left a great deal to be desired in terms of academics, and when we pulled him out at 8, he couldn't read, do simple math, or spell. We held him back a year to get him caught up on the basics he was missing. Maybe something like this is what's happening with Abigail's son? Learning disorder possibly?

My daughter will turn 9 about 2 weeks after starting 3rd grade, due to when she started Kindergarten. She missed the cutoff (age 5 by Aug 1) in IN by 23 days so she'll always be one of the oldest in her class. When I see an age I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. Most kids will turn 9 while in the 3rd grade. Not that ax (I also prefer axe) and fire are anywhere near appropriate spelling words for a child in 3rd or 4th grade. Yikes.

My son just finished 6th grade. I realized, about 1/2 way through the seccond term, that I really could no longer help him with math. Then it became - "Oh. Your teacher offers after school help on Mondays? Great! There's a late bus home. We'll see you at 4:30" And never mind having the actual knowledge to be able to teach a subject. How many of these women have the patience. I know I don't.

I was able to help my son with math until about the same age.

There are some people who are naturally good teachers, with either a wide range of knowledge or the ability and desire to access tools that will allow them to teach their children effectively. Sadly, I think among fundies, that number is small. Most fundie parents seem to have a pretty poor educational background, and are more concerned with teaching their children to sit quietly and obey instantly, than in providing them with a good educational foundation so that they have a chance of success in adulthood.

However, that level of ignorance is ultimately unsustainable and eventually, as each progressive fundie generation falls further into poverty and despair, something is gonna snap. Bad news - taxpayers will end up footing the bill somehow.

Archived