IGNORED

Celebrity Fundies?

EllieCee

Nun does not necessarily equal fundy. I've met nuns who were very liberal in most ways, but just chose to serve their faith in that manner. What kind of order is she part of?

Delores Hart is a Dominican nun, which doesn't equate with fundy in the Catholic world.

The term nun is often misused. Generally speaking, nuns are cloistered, sisters are not. Nuns have a different charter with the Vatican than religious groups of sisters have. There are exceptions. I was educated by the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart, they were not cloistered. The majority of women called nuns are not nuns, they are sisters.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delores Hart is a Dominican nun, which doesn't equate with fundy in the Catholic world.

The term nun is often misused. Generally speaking, nuns are cloistered, sisters are not. Nuns have a different charter with the Vatican than religious groups of sisters have. There are exceptions. I was educated by the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart, they were not cloistered. The majority of women called nuns are not nuns, they are sisters.

Technically, she is Benedictine.

About Zachary Levi, some sites say he is an Evangelical Christian. There is an interview in which he says it is difficult for him to be Christian in Hollywood.

Didn't see this earlier, but I think Aarti from Aarti Paarti on Food Network and her nutbag husband are Radical Christians. They're not fundie, in that she is on TV (without him), she's the primary breadwinner, they have no children, and doesn't seem submissive as we know it, but she definitely posts some whacked out shit. I do think her husband is worse, though.

I don't know about Aarti, but Alton Brown is a born-again Christian who just happens to belong to an activist group trying to put more Christians on television. Since Alton is a judge on The Next Food Network Star, he's in a perfect position to do so. Melissa D'Arabian is also a Christian and just happened to be chosen by Alton.

Vera and Taissa Farmiga seem to have grown up in a fundie lite family. Their parents converted from Ukrainian Orthodox to Pentecostalism. There were seven kids in the family.

I don't know if they are anymore but Ashlee and Jessica Simpson were raised very Christian. IMO, the fact that they were raised Christian is why Ashlee felt compelled to have a shot gun wedding Pete Wentz after she got pregnant.

When they were in high school, I believe Daddy Simpson was the youth minister at a big Southern Baptist Church in Dallas. I didn't know the girls personally, but our high school wasn't that big by public urban high school standards, and the word on the street when Jessica left school before the end of her senior year was that she had gone to New York to make a Christian album. The contents of her subsequently released album were thus a little baffling to us. I think that's about when Daddy Simpson gave up on the whole charade and left ministry to be be her manager. I don't think they're particularly Christian now. I think it was just that it was the 'correct' way to be in far North Dallas in the nineties.

When they were in high school, I believe Daddy Simpson was the youth minister at a big Southern Baptist Church in Dallas. I didn't know the girls personally, but our high school wasn't that big by public urban high school standards, and the word on the street when Jessica left school before the end of her senior year was that she had gone to New York to make a Christian album. The contents of her subsequently released album were thus a little baffling to us. I think that's about when Daddy Simpson gave up on the whole charade and left ministry to be be her manager. I don't think they're particularly Christian now. I think it was just that it was the 'correct' way to be in far North Dallas in the nineties.

I also heard that Jessica was originally supposed to make a Christian album. I also don't think the Simpsons are hardcore Christians right now. The dad comes off as a money hungry creep.

Archived