IGNORED

Celebrity Fundies?

EllieCee

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too! :mrgreen:

And yeah, Larry is the only member of U2 who was raised Catholic. Adam was originally from England and the Edge's family are Welsh; they were both raised Protestant. Bono's dad was Catholic and his mom was Church of Ireland. In those days, a "mixed marriage" like that was a HUGE deal. Bono and his brother went to their mother's church when they were young, but Bono felt as if he didn't belong there, or with the Catholics.

Both my parents are products of mixed Protestant/Catholic marriages, and were raised Catholic. This was a pretty big deal back in the day. But when my sister married her Lutheran husband it was no biggie. My sister and her husband now belong to a non-denominational Christian church.

I've heard that line about country music before, but only as a joke. Do fundies seriously use that as an actual argument against country music? :doh:

Edited to add quote.

Well, there's the drinking too. But I seriously have not heard much more of an argument than that.

The odious Katy Perry was a fundie, and even sang in a Xtian rock band before she sang a song about being faux-mo as trend and became a cartoon. Now she is married to an ex junkie. I am ashamed to admit that I know Justin Bieber wears a purity ring. I have nieces! (also, Britney wore one too--did she fool anyone?)

I looked up reviews of Katy's Christian album on Amazon which was released under her real name Katy Hudson and several people wrote good reviews of it. I saw a thing on the E! the other day about her and in the beginning her family life was described. Her and siblings didn't watch TV or listen to secular music. Her mom made her children say "angeled eggs" instead of deviled eggs.

Back in 2002, Charlie Daniels tried to make the talk show rounds after an atheist in California was pushing to have pledge of allegiance taken out of his daughter's school. Back then CNN had a call in/talk show called Talk Back Live and Charlie called up that same day to protest against the atheist.

In the sports world, there are have a few fundie or people with fundie lite beliefs. Tim Tebow is fundie lite. He is the only current NFL player that I can think of right now that is fundie or fundie lite. Issac Bruce who was wide receiver for the Rams and 49ers stated years ago that he wanted to become a minister after he retired from the NFL.

Back in 2002, Charlie Daniels tried to make the talk show rounds after an atheist in California was pushing to have pledge of allegiance taken out of his daughter's school. Back then CNN had a call in/talk show called Talk Back Live and Charlie called up that same day to protest against the atheist.

He also cleaned up his language. I remember how irked I was the first time I heard his cleaned up version of "Devil Went Down to Georgia," with 'son of a bitch' changed to 'son of a gun.' It just wasn't the same.

He also cleaned up his language. I remember how irked I was the first time I heard his cleaned up version of "Devil Went Down to Georgia," with 'son of a bitch' changed to 'son of a gun.' It just wasn't the same.

I remember hearing different versions one time on youtube. The Coyote Ugly bars do play the explicit version when they dance on the bar competitions.

Alexis on Real Housewives of OC is a half-hearted fundie.

Although there's a lot of people that believe her husband is fundie and she's just a moron that goes along with it.

This is who I was thinking of. She spouts a lot of the fundie mantra.

Scotty McCreery just won American Idol sporting a ginormous cross and a lot of I Love Jesus!! rhetoric. In fact, I'm pretty sure people voted 'values' not musical ability, since the kid is one wagging eyebrow. When asked what kind of girl he'd like to meet, he said 'CHRISTIAN.' Since he was in AI, I'm going with Fundie Lite for him - he did say something about wanting a Christian song on every album [yeah, if he gets more than one]. Runner-up Lauren Alaina is also Fundie Lite, and kind of mirrors his Jesus talk on every level. They're both a little sickening, although I will grant that they are teenagers. Scotty actually KISSED his cross after talking with Lady Gaga. Can't wait till he speaks out against gay marriage or something! LOL.

Scotty McCreery just won American Idol sporting a ginormous cross and a lot of I Love Jesus!! rhetoric. In fact, I'm pretty sure people voted 'values' not musical ability, since the kid is one wagging eyebrow. When asked what kind of girl he'd like to meet, he said 'CHRISTIAN.' Since he was in AI, I'm going with Fundie Lite for him - he did say something about wanting a Christian song on every album [yeah, if he gets more than one]. Runner-up Lauren Alaina is also Fundie Lite, and kind of mirrors his Jesus talk on every level. They're both a little sickening, although I will grant that they are teenagers. Scotty actually KISSED his cross after talking with Lady Gaga. Can't wait till he speaks out against gay marriage or something! LOL.

Well, Lady GaGa was defrauding him with her penis-heeled shoes.

http://cbswvmv.files.wordpress.com/2011 ... =450&h=412

I could handle Lauren even though she seems too young and fragile to handle the rigors of fame. But something about Scotty really turned me off. He came across so falsely humble and smug. But I was a Team Haley (who I hear was hooking up with Casey).

My sister's a big River Phoenix fan, and she informed me that the Phoenix siblings used to belong to a cult called "Children of God" in their early years.

Never would've pegged that kid as ever being fundie related.

Well, Lady GaGa was defrauding him with her penis-heeled shoes.

http://cbswvmv.files.wordpress.com/2011 ... =450&h=412

I could handle Lauren even though she seems too young and fragile to handle the rigors of fame. But something about Scotty really turned me off. He came across so falsely humble and smug. But I was a Team Haley (who I hear was hooking up with Casey).

I couldn't stand Scotty. I agree came off as falsely humble and smug. I rolled my eyes after he kissed his cross after talking with Lady Gaga. He made it seem as if she was the devil. Lady Gaga has said that she is spiritual believes in God and prays. I'm not huge a LG fan but I find her to be more humble in some ways than someone like Scotty.

I was also on Team Haley. I thought she was a lot better than Scotty and Lauren. Scotty likely won't have a huge career. He voice is limited and I know some country fans that see him as a Josh Turner imitator.

They are fundies to me. I don't think subjugation of women in all things is the only definition of fundamentalism. And many fundamentalists drink. Like PCA fundies!

Agreed--Michele Bachmann IS a fundie, not to mention a craptastic liar. Her husband is a local psychologist who takes MA payments, yet in Michele's world, people on MA are evil. Earlier this year, there was a ton of flooding expected in her home town along a major river. We happened to be at a local restaurant for the manager's annual luncheon while she was shooting the TV news spot to show how much she cares about her community. Our noses were pressed to the window to get a peak...I admit, I just wanted to see if that crazy look in her eyes in person, for myself. We missed it, as she's pretty well surrounded/protected.

Anyway, Michele was all for teaching creationism in the local schools, has been on Focus on the Family, is a Teaparty-er, has participated in sit-ins, and protested the use of public funds to major metro area hospital, because they employed an abortion doctor.

That's not quiverfull, but it's pretty fundie

I LOVE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT.

I HATE CANDACE CAMERON BURE WITH A PASSION.

Mary Lou Retton is a pretty hardcore Baptist now.

Okay - I've just got to ask. What's the deal with Candace Cameron Bure? I vaguely remember her from Full House, but I know next to nothing about her now.

This is who I was thinking of. She spouts a lot of the fundie mantra.

She may spout the fundie mantra but she sure doesn't dress fundie and loves to flaunt her purchased boobs. I thought that they belonged to a prosperity type church.

I consider Mel Gibson a fundie, even when he was a little more sane.

Considering that the Catholic Church he was attending wasn't good enough for him and he went and built his own, I wouldn't say he is sane. He is extremely old school Catholic.

Jonathan Jackson who is on General Hospital is what I would call fundie-lite.

Yep. He even has a Christian rock band with his brother and I think two others. One of the other guys is married to Bethany Joy Galeotti from One Tree Hill so she is also fundie-light.

I believe Patricia Heaton is pretty hard core Catholic.

Josh Hamilton from the Texas Ranger's is also fundie light. He was on Letterman the other night and talked about how accepting Jesus got him through his drug addiction.

Okay - I've just got to ask. What's the deal with Candace Cameron Bure? I vaguely remember her from Full House, but I know next to nothing about her now.

She's married to an ex NHL hockey player. Her family turned born-again Christian when she was 12. I think there was a period when she wasn't really fundie when she was a young adult. I think she has said that she was 24 when she knew that is how she wanted her family to be raised.

ETA: I don't think she is anywhere close to being fundie but Reese Witherspoon is seen going to church regularly in LA.

The actor who played Jesus is Mel's Passion Of The Christ is also very Catholic. James Cavizel is his name. He refuses to do love scenes which is why he pretty much has no career. I think he and his wife also can't have biological children because they adopted two kids from China. And apparently the kids they adopted were suffering from some kind of health issues, too.

Nicole Kidman and her husband Keith Urban are practicing Catholics as well. But I would not say they were at all fundie Catholics like Mel.

She's married to an ex NHL hockey player. Her family turned born-again Christian when she was 12. I think there was a period when she wasn't really fundie when she was a young adult. I think she has said that she was 24 when she knew that is how she wanted her family to be raised.

ETA: I don't think she is anywhere close to being fundie but Reese Witherspoon is seen going to church regularly in LA.

Ha! So are the Cyrus'.....and I think even normal people are starting to find Miley Cyrus pretty defrauding. However they've got the creepy father/daughter relationship down.

Yep. He even has a Christian rock band with his brother and I think two others. One of the other guys is married to Bethany Joy Galeotti from One Tree Hill so she is also fundie-light.

I believe Patricia Heaton is pretty hard core Catholic.

Josh Hamilton from the Texas Ranger's is also fundie light. He was on Letterman the other night and talked about how accepting Jesus got him through his drug addiction.

I forgot about Bethany Joy Galeotti's husband Michael being in the same band as Jonathan Jackson. I remember years ago when I used to watch OTH, Bethany said in an interview that her younger sister wasn't allowed to watch OTH. Last year I read on another forum about BJG's attempt to turn The Notebook into a Broadway musical and one rumor going around is that the adaption will have gospel songs in it.

Patricia Heaton was raised Catholic but now attends a prominent Presbyterian church in L.A. A friend of mine who lives in L.A. wanted to meet Louie Zamperini who is the subject of Laura Hillenbrand's book Unbroken and there was a signing at Louie's church and he saw Patricia there and she told several people that attended that church. I used to like Patricia years ago, but I got turned off when she and Kurt Warner who is also a former Catholic now fundie lite Protestant filmed an anti-stem cell commercial in Missouri. Also Patricia bashed Michael J.Fox because of his support of stem cell research and she called him sexist because she views "stem cell research" as hurting woman.

The odious Katy Perry was a fundie, and even sang in a Xtian rock band before she sang a song about being faux-mo as trend and became a cartoon. Now she is married to an ex junkie. I am ashamed to admit that I know Justin Bieber wears a purity ring. I have nieces! (also, Britney wore one too--did she fool anyone?)

Katy Perry grew up in a fundie house but I wouldn't say she herself was a fundie. She was just going through the motions because of her parents. When she was 17, she left their house. and moved to LA.

Another athlete who is a extremely religious is Albert Pujols. He has said that the money he earns playing baseball lets him glorify god. I believe in the 60 minutes profile on him from a few months ago said that while he grew up Catholic in the Dominican Republic, he is now an Evangelical Christian.

Kurt Warner, who played in the NFL, is also extremely religious. He and his wife have seven kids. Two he adopted when he married his wife. They were hers from a previous relationship. They have five together.

ETA: Brad Pitt is another one who grew up in a very conservative town in Missouri. It sounds like his family may have been fundie light baptists. They were baptists for sure but I am sure to what degree. He says now he is mostly agnostic.

Katy Perry grew up in a fundie house but I wouldn't say she herself was a fundie. She was just going through the motions because of her parents. When she was 17, she left their house. and moved to LA.

Another athlete who is a extremely religious is Albert Pujols. He has said that the money he earns playing baseball lets him glorify god. I believe in the 60 minutes profile on him from a few months ago said that while he grew up Catholic in the Dominican Republic, he is now an Evangelical Christian.

Kurt Warner, who played in the NFL, is also extremely religious. He and his wife have seven kids. Two he adopted when he married his wife. They were hers from a previous relationship. They have five together.

ETA: Brad Pitt is another one who grew up a very conservative town in Missouri. It sounds like his family may have been fundie light baptists. He says now he is mostly agnostic.

I remember years ago there is used to be chain e-mails that told an exaggerated version of how Kurt met his wife Brenda and her two kids from a previous relationship. The chain email claimed that Brenda's son had Down syndrome and was paralyzed. In truth, Brenda's son has a visual impairment due to brain injury at 4 months old after her ex husband accidentally dropped him. The exaggrated chain e-mail was used as sermons in various churches and eventually Kurt and Brenda told their real story.

Archived