IGNORED

Celebrity Fundies?

EllieCee

Really? I love U2 but I always just assumed they were Catholics.

Only the drummer, Larry Mullen, Jr., was raised Catholic. The others were raised Church of Ireland Protestant. And if I'm not mistaken, U2's bassist, Adam Clayton, is either Agnostic or an actual Atheist.

Yes, I'm a long-time U2 fan, why do you ask? ;)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT.

I HATE CANDACE CAMERON BURE WITH A PASSION.

Mary Lou Retton is a pretty hardcore Baptist now.

I also secretly love Make it or Break it! We don't have cable so I watch it online every Tuesday, that is devoted I am!

I don't mind Candace, but I hate her on this show. I feel like there is one group of writers who are like, "Christians rule!" and try to write her into a relationship with one guy, but then when the rest of the writers get their turn they are like, "Christians are weird," and try to write her into a relationship with the other guy.

There are a lot of fundie and fundie light or formerly so) musicians/singers. Jessica Simpson and her clan are formerly fundie light. Kris Allen comes to mind as well.

Michelle Bachmann is one fundie who is running for President.

Ok, this is one of my pet peeves. Michele Bachmann (and Sarah Palin for that matter) are not classical fundamentalists. Rather, they are evangelical charismatic Protestants. Evangelical in that they want to push their religion and charismatic in that they believe in so-called manifested "gifts of the Spirit" (e.g., speaking in tongues, etc.). I consider them FAR MORE DANGEROUS than classical fundamentalists because they look so much like normal people (except Rep. Bachmann has teh crazee eye about her).

They are NOT fundamentalists, at least in the classical sense. Classical fundamentalists don't allow women anywhere near a pulpit, nor are they allowed to get their hands on real power without a husband hovering nearby as a "covering."

Fundamentalists to me are people who are associated with Independent Fundamental Baptist churches, similarly situated Baptist churches belonging to a denomination or deeply entrenched in ATI. Some of our non-church affiliated people (e.g., Maxwells, Duggars) I would classify as fundamentalists. The rest are conservative evangelicals, some of whom are also charismatics if they believe in outward manifested "gifts of the spirit." I don't think you can call Calvinistas fundamentalists. Many of them drink!

As for Scientologists, the people mentioned here can be classified as "devout" (charitable) / "deluded" (reality). It should be noted that Scientology makes a point of trying to recruit celebrities. There is even a whole segment of Scientology buildings called "Celebrity Centres." Scientology is all about how much money can be hoovered out of a believer's wallet and less so about actual "beliefs."

Alexis on Real Housewives of OC is a half-hearted fundie.

Although there's a lot of people that believe her husband is fundie and she's just a moron that goes along with it.

If you're an old fart like me you might remember Debbie Boone from the 70's (and her song "You Light Up My Life"). Fundy.

Alan Jackson and his wife, of country music fame. Of course, country music is littered about with fundies.

There's a whole lot of fundies that consider country music of the devil.

Interesting though- when you ask what's wrong with country music, they say, "Well if you play it backward you get your wife back, your truck back, and your dog back". Somehow I never found that very convincing! That's a personal preference not a reason. I'll admit to being fundie and Alan Jackson's "Remember When" may be my favorite song (though I don't know why since I don't have any of those thing to remember when!). :violin:

As for Candace Cameron Bure, I used to like her but she is start to get smug like her big brother Kirk.

Interesting though- when you ask what's wrong with country music, they say, "Well if you play it backward you get your wife back, your truck back, and your dog back". Somehow I never found that very convincing! That's a personal preference not a reason. I'll admit to being fundie and Alan Jackson's "Remember When" may be my favorite song (though I don't know why since I don't have any of those thing to remember when!). :violin:

My dad worked with a fundie lite type guy back in the 80's who hated Dolly Parton and country music for different reasons. A few years back I stumbled onto a blog that was likely a fundie guy's blog and he bashed Carrie Underwood for different reasons and he issues with some of her songs that referenced God.

Ok, this is one of my pet peeves. Michele Bachmann (and Sarah Palin for that matter) are not classical fundamentalists. Rather, they are evangelical charismatic Protestants. Evangelical in that they want to push their religion and charismatic in that they believe in so-called manifested "gifts of the Spirit" (e.g., speaking in tongues, etc.). I consider them FAR MORE DANGEROUS than classical fundamentalists because they look so much like normal people (except Rep. Bachmann has teh crazee eye about her).

They are NOT fundamentalists, at least in the classical sense. Classical fundamentalists don't allow women anywhere near a pulpit, nor are they allowed to get their hands on real power without a husband hovering nearby as a "covering."

Fundamentalists to me are people who are associated with Independent Fundamental Baptist churches, similarly situated Baptist churches belonging to a denomination or deeply entrenched in ATI. Some of our non-church affiliated people (e.g., Maxwells, Duggars) I would classify as fundamentalists. The rest are conservative evangelicals, some of whom are also charismatics if they believe in outward manifested "gifts of the spirit." I don't think you can call Calvinistas fundamentalists. Many of them drink!

As for Scientologists, the people mentioned here can be classified as "devout" (charitable) / "deluded" (reality). It should be noted that Scientology makes a point of trying to recruit celebrities. There is even a whole segment of Scientology buildings called "Celebrity Centres." Scientology is all about how much money can be hoovered out of a believer's wallet and less so about actual "beliefs."

They are fundies to me. I don't think subjugation of women in all things is the only definition of fundamentalism. And many fundamentalists drink. Like PCA fundies!

I think some Calvinists can be classified as fundamentalists. For example, I'd consider Doug Phillips, the Botkins, and others who are associated with VF to be fundamentalists. They don't seem to be against all movies, dancing, and drinking in the way that IFB fundamentalists would be, but they're biblical literalists and young-earth creationists who are very legalistic, highly authoritarian, and extremely patriarchal. They take things way above and beyond mainstream Calvinistic evangelicalism.

Jonathan Jackson who is on General Hospital is what I would call fundie-lite.

Jonathan Jackson who is on General Hospital is what I would call fundie-lite.

Not Lucky!!!

Actually, I think I already knew that... I did not know that he was back on GH, though.

I guess I don't see how a true fundie could be a real celebrity (mainstream actor/musician) without being defrauded or just plain disgusted all the time. I mean, what with all those (gasp!) homosexuals, feminists and liberals mucking up Hollywood.

Not Lucky!!!

Actually, I think I already knew that... I did not know that he was back on GH, though.

I guess I don't see how a true fundie could be a real celebrity (mainstream actor/musician) without being defrauded or just plain disgusted all the time. I mean, what with all those (gasp!) homosexuals, feminists and liberals mucking up Hollywood.

JJ has been back for a bit over a year. And since JJ has a rock band named E-nation, he is definitely not a true fundie.

Candace Cameron Bure may be a conservative Christian, but I don't know if she is a true fundy. Unlike her brother, she has kissed on Make it or Break it (no I haven't watched the whole show on Netflix recently)

I've heard that line about country music before, but only as a joke. Do fundies seriously use that as an actual argument against country music? :doh:

Edited to add quote.

Only the drummer, Larry Mullen, Jr., was raised Catholic. The others were raised Church of Ireland Protestant. And if I'm not mistaken, U2's bassist, Adam Clayton, is either Agnostic or an actual Atheist.

Yes, I'm a long-time U2 fan, why do you ask? ;)

Me too! :mrgreen:

And yeah, Larry is the only member of U2 who was raised Catholic. Adam was originally from England and the Edge's family are Welsh; they were both raised Protestant. Bono's dad was Catholic and his mom was Church of Ireland. In those days, a "mixed marriage" like that was a HUGE deal. Bono and his brother went to their mother's church when they were young, but Bono felt as if he didn't belong there, or with the Catholics.

And yeah, Larry is the only member of U2 who was raised Catholic. Adam was originally from England and the Edge's family are Welsh; they were both raised Protestant. Bono's dad was Catholic and his mom was Church of Ireland. In those days, a "mixed marriage" like that was a HUGE deal. Bono and his brother went to their mother's church when they were young, but Bono felt as if he didn't belong there, or with the Catholics.

No joke: I had a band director of Irish descent who had, somewhere relatively recent in his background, a mixed marriage. Possibly his parents. He was also the only Irish-American I ever knew who a) had those recent ties and b) kept them up, as opposed to using them for bragging rights. We all used to crowd 'round when he brought a new flute back from Ireland--he'd go over every few years and have one made, and yes, he could play them well enough to justify the expense.

It's a pity they never did "The Orange and the Green", but their "Yankee Paddies" is frelling hilarious. :)

I LOVE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT.

I HATE CANDACE CAMERON BURE WITH A PASSION.

Mary Lou Retton is a pretty hardcore Baptist now.

Yes, CandASS is a vocal fan of the Pearls. Makes me ill.

The odious Katy Perry was a fundie, and even sang in a Xtian rock band before she sang a song about being faux-mo as trend and became a cartoon. Now she is married to an ex junkie. I am ashamed to admit that I know Justin Bieber wears a purity ring. I have nieces! (also, Britney wore one too--did she fool anyone?)

Country singer Charlie Daniels is pretty fundie. I was disappointed to learn that he likes to rant about how evolution is wrong. But yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of fundie country singers. I like country music, but I always wonder if there are any atheist country singers. There have to be, right? But they probably have to stay in the atheist closet.

Country singer Charlie Daniels is pretty fundie. I was disappointed to learn that he likes to rant about how evolution is wrong. But yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of fundie country singers. I like country music, but I always wonder if there are any atheist country singers. There have to be, right? But they probably have to stay in the atheist closet.

I don't think it's something they would advertise.

Hate Candace Cameron. I didn't know she openly supports the Pearls, so now I hate her even more.

I don't think it's something they would advertise.

As an atheist who used to be really into country music, I've sure never heard of one. Cripes, remember the insane backlash the Dixie Chicks received just for criticizing GW Bush? I wasn't even a fan, but I did purchase an album after that happened, just because.

Funny, I'm a fan of Jaron and the Long Road to Love (sings the awesome snark song, "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atBg9zLI2bA," which I'm pretty sure explains what the fundies are thinking when they say they'll pray for us FJers) on FB because he's fairly witty and entertaining, and keeps up his own page. Jaron had a fairly neutral status update on Ricky Gervais' atheist closing statement at the Golden Globes, and many Jaron fans went apeshit in the comments. It was an all-out hate-fest on us evil heathens. So yeah, country stars will not fare well being openly anything but a dutiful xtian soldier.

edited eleventy-billion times for riffles and to add link

Archived