IGNORED

Celebrity Fundies?

EllieCee

I found this thread on the other site long ago, and I wanted to bring it up again.

Are there any celebrities in Hollywood, former or current that has been or is in any kind of fundie religion? I know that Lisa Turtle from Saved By the Bell is now a Jehovah's Witness, and that Kirk Cameron is an Evangelical Christian (am I right?). Are there any other celebrities out there?

Just another question a bit off topic from the original, do cults count under the fundie definition?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would count cults, definitely.

I consider Mel Gibson a fundie, even when he was a little more sane.

Madonna and her krazy kaballah obsession? I think its hard to be a real christian fundie if youre a woman - especially with that whole modesty thing!

Kirk Cameron's younger sis - the oldest girl from Full House and now one of the adult ladies on "Make it Or Break It" I just forgot her name though... Candace Cameron, yeah :)

Not to hijack, but I was invited as a +1 to Lisa Whetchel's wedding. I worked with a young man who was invited. Because he liked me, he asked me to go. I didn't realize he was a fundie then but he did seem weird (a virgin at 30) and I thought at the time he might have been gay because who else would wait until 30. I didn't go of course; otherwise I would have a good story to tell. Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion:lol:

Niecy (Clean House, Reno911!) Nash divorced her preacher hubby & father of her 3 kids some time ago. When she married an electrical engineer w/ at least one kid of his own. One of her daughters made a speech that included the line, "Thank you, Jay, for loving our mom and for being our covering." And MamaJunebug yelled, "Yow!! Hot mess!"

:(

John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, and Leah Remeny are all also big time Scientologists

Lisa Marie Pressley is also a big time Scientologist and then there are several lesser known actors or actresses that are Scientologists like Chris and Danny Masterston, Erika Christensen.

Stephen Baldwin can't really be defined as a fundie now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he started to becoming more like Kirk Cameron in the future. Willie Ames sort of fits the fundie role too.

Another celeb fundie is Victoria Jackson who made the news recently when she bashed the gay kissing on Glee. She is dumb to expect that a TV show created by a gay man who actually intended to a have a character based on him wouldn't feature feature gay kissing.

Niecy (Clean House, Reno911!) Nash divorced her preacher hubby & father of her 3 kids some time ago. When she married an electrical engineer w/ at least one kid of his own. One of her daughters made a speech that included the line, "Thank you, Jay, for loving our mom and for being our covering." And MamaJunebug yelled, "Yow!! Hot mess!"

:(

Were you wearing a huge flower in your hair when you yelled it? ;)

Kathy Griffin likes to joke that we should just add a fourth prong to the cross: Father, Son, Holy Ghost, Oprah.

Three of the four members of U2 went through a fundie phase in the early 80s. They were only about twenty years old at the time and not yet world famous, although their first album had received critical acclaim. The fundie leaders put a lot of pressure on them, telling them they couldn't be good Christians while living the rock & roll lifestyle. It got to the point where they almost gave up the band, but their manager talked some sense into them and the end result was the "October" album. Shortly afterward, the lads broke away from the fundie church, but they remain Christians to this day.

*The band member that did not go fundie was bassist Adam Clayton.

Three of the four members of U2 went through a fundie phase in the early 80s. They were only about twenty years old at the time and not yet world famous, although their first album had received critical acclaim. The fundie leaders put a lot of pressure on them, telling them they couldn't be good Christians while living the rock & roll lifestyle. It got to the point where they almost gave up the band, but their manager talked some sense into them and the end result was the "October" album. Shortly afterward, the lads broke away from the fundie church, but they remain Christians to this day.

*The band member that did not go fundie was bassist Adam Clayton.

Really? I love U2 but I always just assumed they were Catholics.

Kirk Cameron's younger sis - the oldest girl from Full House and now one of the adult ladies on "Make it Or Break It" I just forgot her name though... Candace Cameron, yeah :)

Don't forget Jodie Sweetin(Stephanie) from also Full House. She's been married a few times, hooked on meth, and appears with the Cameron's crazy fundie ministry.

I LOVE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT.

I HATE CANDACE CAMERON BURE WITH A PASSION.

Mary Lou Retton is a pretty hardcore Baptist now.

Didn't see this earlier, but I think Aarti from Aarti Paarti on Food Network and her nutbag husband are Radical Christians. They're not fundie, in that she is on TV (without him), she's the primary breadwinner, they have no children, and doesn't seem submissive as we know it, but she definitely posts some whacked out shit. I do think her husband is worse, though.

I find it funny Sheri Shephard is a fundie, considering she's playing Lula (The Ho with the Heart of... sometimes gold) in the new Stephanie Plum movie.

Archived