IGNORED

Celebrity Fundies?

EllieCee

Scotty McCreery just won American Idol sporting a ginormous cross and a lot of I Love Jesus!! rhetoric. In fact, I'm pretty sure people voted 'values' not musical ability, since the kid is one wagging eyebrow. When asked what kind of girl he'd like to meet, he said 'CHRISTIAN.' Since he was in AI, I'm going with Fundie Lite for him - he did say something about wanting a Christian song on every album [yeah, if he gets more than one]. Runner-up Lauren Alaina is also Fundie Lite, and kind of mirrors his Jesus talk on every level. They're both a little sickening, although I will grant that they are teenagers. Scotty actually KISSED his cross after talking with Lady Gaga. Can't wait till he speaks out against gay marriage or something! LOL.

Carrie Underwood is also really religious. Not sure if she is fundie lite. But I think she and her husband are Conservative Christians. I don't know if they are anymore but Ashlee and Jessica Simpson were raised very Christian. IMO, the fact that they were raised Christian is why Ashlee felt compelled to have a shot gun wedding Pete Wentz after she got pregnant.

ETA: I want to say there was another contestant on AI a few years ago who was very religious. I forget his name but it was the one who lost his wife to some kind of heart ailment or something like that.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the kids (now adults) from the band Hansen. MmmmmBop!

Yep. One of them married when he was only 19 to his 18 year old pregnant girlfriend. By the time he was 25, he had four kids. They also come from a family of seven.

Delores Hart who starred in two Elvis movies in the late 1950's left Hollywood to become a cloistered Benedictine nun. She is now a mother superior in that order. That I think is pretty fundie Catholic.

ETA: I want to say there was another contestant on AI a few years ago who was very religious. I forget his name but it was the one who lost his wife to some kind of heart ailment or something like that

Danny Gokey. Sad that I know that, isn't it? ;) He was Adam Lambert's year - who lost to Fundie Lite Kris Allen, a former Prayer Leader at his Arkansas church. [There's a fascinating story behind all the 'Christians' on AI - a woman moved her church in, and started to communicate with the families, and pretty soon more and more Christians were involved. The show hates it, but doesn't know how to get rid of the woman]. Danny Gokey was filmed talking about how he and another contestant loved each other in the 'right' way, and it was taken as a slap against Adam Lambert.

Actually, Danny Gokey is completely stomach-turning for reasons way beyond homophobia. Heh. Check out his smarmy mug!

http://evigshed.com/danny-gokey-tenness ... tmas-song/

Well the Osmonds-Mormon Fundies.

BTW loving the website ex-Mormon. Amazing the things Mormons believe.

Danny Gokey. Sad that I know that, isn't it? ;) He was Adam Lambert's year - who lost to Fundie Lite Kris Allen, a former Prayer Leader at his Arkansas church. [There's a fascinating story behind all the 'Christians' on AI - a woman moved her church in, and started to communicate with the families, and pretty soon more and more Christians were involved. The show hates it, but doesn't know how to get rid of the woman]. Danny Gokey was filmed talking about how he and another contestant loved each other in the 'right' way, and it was taken as a slap against Adam Lambert.

Actually, Danny Gokey is completely stomach-turning for reasons way beyond homophobia. Heh. Check out his smarmy mug!

http://evigshed.com/danny-gokey-tenness ... tmas-song/

I agree about Danny Gokey, but I would characterize Kris Allen as somewhere between a liberal to moderate mainline non-denominational Christian.

She may spout the fundie mantra but she sure doesn't dress fundie and loves to flaunt her purchased boobs. I thought that they belonged to a prosperity type church.

That's why I'm thinking she's a moron that just goes along with it. I think she and her husband pick and choose what they want to believe (women working = BAD hooker clothes = GOOD!) She's so entertaining to watch because she has no idea how backward she is.

I forgot to mention that JJ is not the only religious person on GH. Steve Burton is also religious. So is Scott Reeves. Erin Chambers, who plays JJ's wife Shiobhan on GH, is LDS.

I agree about Danny Gokey, but I would characterize Kris Allen as somewhere between a liberal to moderate mainline non-denominational Christian.

I couldn't stand stand Danny Gokey. When he was on the show, his cousin or his cousin's wife I can't remember exactly who she was posted a lot homophobe slurs about Adam Lambert on Facebook. Danny was pretty smug and I laughed when he flopped in the country world.

I agree with your characterization of Kris Allen. I don't think he is fundie light. I noticed Carrie Underwood was mentioned in a previous post and I don't think she is fundie lite either. She is probably the same as Kris. She is a Democrat but she could be a conservative Democrat. Her husband might be more conservative than her.

who lost to Fundie Lite Kris Allen, a former Prayer Leader at his Arkansas church.

Kris wasn't a prayer leader, he was a member of the New Life Church praise and worship band. It's actually a pretty big deal, and you have to be incredibly talented to be accepted. I know several folks who are former members of NLC P&W on various campuses who weren't fundie, but were in it for the music and opportunity. (NLC is the central Arkansas generic megachurch)

Kris was local to me. He lived a few blocks from me in Conway when I lived there, and I had classes with his wife. He's fundie-lite-lite based on what I know of him. Pretty much a typical Evangelical Christian from Arkansas.

She is not really as religious as Kathie Lee Gifford but Kelly Ripa is a practicing Catholic. She and her family attend church regularly. Her oldest son was confirmed this year and her youngest son had his first communion.

Not a celebrity in a large way, but one of the members of the NYC City Council is a pagan fundie. He's Theodish, which is an incredibly rigid and conservative heathen (reconstructionist pagan) sect.

She's married to an ex NHL hockey player. Her family turned born-again Christian when she was 12. I think there was a period when she wasn't really fundie when she was a young adult. I think she has said that she was 24 when she knew that is how she wanted her family to be raised.....

Thanks for the info. So, why the hate on her especially? My Google-fu is failing me and all I could find is that she describes herseld as a conservative Christian and that she had bulimia, but nothing on the Doug Phillips or Zhuzhu level of wackiness.

Kris was local to me. He lived a few blocks from me in Conway when I lived there, and I had classes with his wife. He's fundie-lite-lite based on what I know of him. Pretty much a typical Evangelical Christian from Arkansas

Yep, that sounds right to me. I lived in Arkansas, and if you're Christian, you're somewhere on that spectrum. Not a fan of his music, but he's never said anything remotely obnoxious about his faith, so I give him a pass. :)

I would categorize the Osmonds as devout Mormons, not fundamentalist. In LDS terms, fundamentalist Mormons are an off-shoot sect which believes in plural marriage.

I also would not necessarily consider Delores Hart to be a fundie Catholic just because she is a nun. Many women religious (nuns and sisters) are very liberal.

Danny Gokey is from Milwaukee, and during his tenure you could not escape the Danny onslaught in the media. A local bakery even sold Danny Gokey cookies. I couldn't stand Danny. I found him smug and condescending. And I hated how he always trouted out his dead wife story. My friends and I ended up calling him "Danny Dead Wife." Yes, we are mean.

Danny's country music career may have tanked but he's doing commercials for Wisconsin Vision. They're pretty icky. He's just so gross.

I think Jennie Finch from USA softball fame is a christian along the lines of Candace Cameron. I was just reading the tweet about how she had her second son last night and scrolled back to read more of her tweets and a few days ago she mentioned about having bible study and enjoying the fellowship. She also mentioned how she was lucky to have "sisters in Christ."

She is not really as religious as Kathie Lee Gifford but Kelly Ripa is a practicing Catholic. She and her family attend church regularly. Her oldest son was confirmed this year and her youngest son had his first communion

Just because someone is a churchgoer doesn't mean they're fundie. I'm Catholic, I go to Mass every Sunday (plus Holy Days of Obligation!), and there's no way I'd consider myself fundie. If attending services regularly is the only qualification, Ramona from The Real Housewives of NY should be included, since she sends her daughter to Catholic school and she was preparing for her Confirmation a few seasons ago.

Jonathan Jackson's at least fundie-lite, as seen at last night's Daytime Emmy Awards: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIqF7qKqShk

Rose McGowan, ex-fiancee of Marilyn Manson, was born into the same cult (Children of God) as River Phoenix.

She is not really as religious as Kathie Lee Gifford but Kelly Ripa is a practicing Catholic. She and her family attend church regularly. Her oldest son was confirmed this year and her youngest son had his first communion

Just because someone is a churchgoer doesn't mean they're fundie. I'm Catholic, I go to Mass every Sunday (plus Holy Days of Obligation!), and there's no way I'd consider myself fundie. If attending services regularly is the only qualification, Ramona from The Real Housewives of NY should be included, since she sends her daughter to Catholic school and she was preparing for her Confirmation a few seasons ago.

Jonathan Jackson's at least fundie-lite, as seen at last night's Daytime Emmy Awards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIqF7qKqShk

Rose McGowan, ex-fiancee of Marilyn Manson, was born into the same cult (Children of God) as River Phoenix.

I never said that all churchgoers were Fundie. I know they aren't. I just brought Kelly up as being religious because the conversation kind of veered off in that direction of famous people who were religious but not necessarily fundamentalist.

Thanks for the info. So, why the hate on her especially? My Google-fu is failing me and all I could find is that she describes herseld as a conservative Christian and that she had bulimia, but nothing on the Doug Phillips or Zhuzhu level of wackiness.

Because she supports Ezzo/Babywise, beats her kids and talks about god's love, supports that Way of the Master shit and sounds like a fucking nutcase whenever she's talking about values or morals. She's never separated herself from her brother's maddness- when Kirk uses Way of the Master to promote hate and homophobic violence, she still continues to promote it, and has never actively come out for gay rights.

People don't have to be ZhuZhu level to be nutcases, fundies, or fuckups.

Jonathan Jackson's at least fundie-lite, as seen at last night's Daytime Emmy Awards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIqF7qKqShk

I watched the emmy's last night and I think Jonathan Jackson is Catholic because he thanked a Monseigner(sp) and a priest which is something a fundie or a fundie-lite wouldn't do.

Lisa Whelchel's children seem to be on the fundie lite spectrum...one of them went off to Australia for some Christian missionary school thing or something and wrote a blog about it. Seemed pretty normal until she started to talk about anointing the doors with cooking oil to keep out the evil spirits or something.

clancycauble.blogspot.com

Lisa Whelchel also write a book about "Christian parenting"* that just makes me ill. It get cited on Christian anti-spanking/gentle discipline websites as promoting abusive techniques.

*It's neither Christian nor good parenting.

Lisa Whelchel also write a book about "Christian parenting"* that just makes me ill. It get cited on Christian anti-spanking/gentle discipline websites as promoting abusive techniques.

*It's neither Christian nor good parenting.

I heard about that book and I also recall that she was involved in a controversy in which she said she used hot sauce to discipline her kids for saying cuss words.

Because she supports Ezzo/Babywise, beats her kids and talks about god's love, supports that Way of the Master shit and sounds like a fucking nutcase whenever she's talking about values or morals. She's never separated herself from her brother's maddness- when Kirk uses Way of the Master to promote hate and homophobic violence, she still continues to promote it, and has never actively come out for gay rights.

People don't have to be ZhuZhu level to be nutcases, fundies, or fuckups.

Yikes - those poor kids! I can just laugh at a lot of fundie stuff, but what the Ezzos and Pearls do to children makes me sick.

Archived