IGNORED

Fundy Fad Diets -- not a lot of yum!

activespinster

Have any of you ever noticed that fundies fall for fad diets like cats for catnip? I've heard of leaky gut and any number of food sensitivies and allergies, but here is a new one: "Gut and Psychology Syndrome."

Because nothings says tasty like eating eggshells and chicken feet:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/sevensisters/785609/

I realize they are trying to adhere to this diet, but the food pics make me sick to look at them.

And they seem like a nice cheerful family. I just can't help snarking on the diet!

Okay, that is so strange- they've never eaten chicken livers, gizzards or hearts? We always put those in gravy, or sometimes just liver and onions. (yeah I'm odd, I love liver and onions, I'm jealous of my parents, and was of my grandparents. they are often on senior menus, but not the regular ones.) Their food doesn't look that bad, but it's not really "food model" material. To me it's more of the limiting of your diet for silly, unsubstatiated, research. Why?

I also want to know how they know that their bodies are ready for the next step.

Funny how the dairy-free ice cream includes yogurt. My mom is allergic to dairy and yogurt would be a death sentence for her (or just a really stressful trip to the ER).

Our eating habits are hilarious, really!

Before, the boys always asked for food; now they constantly think, ask, dream, talk FOOD! Even their visual journals are full of pictures of food!

Yep, we're all falling over with laughter knowing their brothers are showing signs of an eating disorder.

Wolfie, I love, love liver and onions too! Sadly I have a extremely high iron problem and have to have a doctor's ok to indulge in high iron foods. Sigh, I just love the stuff with mashed potaotes (another no-no) and canned peas. I am such a weirdo.

I'm going to see if my BFF wants to try that ice-cream without the yogurt as she is deathly allergic to dairy but misses ice cream.

Funny how the dairy-free ice cream includes yogurt. My mom is allergic to dairy and yogurt would be a death sentence for her (or just a really stressful trip to the ER).

I am lactose-intolerant but not really bothered by yogurt, so maybe those are their target eaters. Still, it's hardly "dairy-free!"

I wonder why so many of these people who fall for this stuff don't realise that what they are doing is no miracle, it is simply common sense?

If you spend your life eating processed foods; a diet laden with transfats, additives, salt and all the other crap that is in these foods, you WILL feel like shit. You wont be healthy, you will have a weak immune system, your kids will resembled hyperactive whirling dervishes and you will be prone to depression.

If you eat healthy, home cooked food, keeping unhealthy transfats and additives out of your diet then you will feel so much better. It's not rocket science, it's not some miracle (although the effects of eating healthily can be miraculous) and you certainly don't need to follow an expensive diet plan, buy expensive books or a shite load of 'micronutrients' which a lot of these diet websites/gurus push.

I wonder why so many of these people who fall for this stuff don't realise that what they are doing is no miracle, it is simply common sense?

If you spend your life eating processed foods; a diet laden with transfats, additives, salt and all the other crap that is in these foods, you WILL feel like shit. You wont be healthy, you will have a weak immune system, your kids will resembled hyperactive whirling dervishes and you will be prone to depression.

If you eat healthy, home cooked food, keeping unhealthy transfats and additives out of your diet then you will feel so much better. It's not rocket science, it's not some miracle (although the effects of eating healthily can be miraculous) and you certainly don't need to follow an expensive diet plan, buy expensive books or a shite load of 'micronutrients' which a lot of these diet websites/gurus push.

Sola, I wonder how often this may be the case. One of my cousins self-diagnosed a gluten intolerance and dairy allergy and started following some mostly-raw variant of the Paleolithic Diet. Afterward, she felt so much healthier, and she believed this was evidence that her self-diagnosis was correct, even though medical tests don't support it.

But prior to changing her diet, she had eaten very little besides coffee, plain buttered egg noodles, white bread and ice cream for several years. Sometimes she would eat bananas in banana pudding, and I think that was the only fruit or vegetable. No wonder she felt run-down and sick all the time! Probably adding fruits, vegetables, some protein and whole grains to her existing diet would have made her feel lots better, without the dubious self-diagnosis and all the complicated and inconvenient ritual associated with her new diet.

If one is changing the way you cook and eat, I can see how it would be helpful to have an explicit system or guide. Something that's not rocket science to someone who is familiar with it can still seem intimidating to a person who is just starting out. And it makes sense that people will have new-convert energy for a new system that they are trying. It's easier to maintain that energy, maybe, if one is following some kind of special system and feel like what one is doing is A Big Deal, rather than simple common sense.

And as Wendy astutely pointed out in another thread, food and diet are closely tied to purity, so it does not seem so surprising that people inclined to legalism and over-focused on abstemiousness might be natural marks for fad diets.

I also want to know how they know that their bodies are ready for the next step.

I'll bet they are looking at their poop.

well the chinese do eat chicken feet.

It is important to note that sometimes they will describe this in English as a chicken wing.

I'm going to see if my BFF wants to try that ice-cream without the yogurt as she is deathly allergic to dairy but misses ice cream.

I was off dairy for a couple years due to a family member's allergy.

Cashew cream

http://talronnen.ca/recipes/cashew-cream/

and coconut milk ice cream

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ime-106860

were fantastic!!

Way better than the rice milk commercial products, and even better than the soy.

Also sorbets were good.

I have said this so many times. I think it also applies to the people who go vegetarian or vegan and all of a sudden feel better too. If it's the first time you've really thought about what you're eating and worked to balance it, of course you're going to feel better.

I honestly think they just need something extra to obsess over. If its not clothes, its sex, or morals, or food. I'm just waiting for someone to command them to only eat what jesus ate.

I honestly think they just need something extra to obsess over. If its not clothes, its sex, or morals, or food. I'm just waiting for someone to command them to only eat what jesus ate.

I dare somebody to set up a website- "The Jesus Diet: Loaves and fishes for life!"

It is important to note that sometimes they will describe this in English as a chicken wing.

nope watched them getting eaten before. well only the skin/meat though of course.

For anyone who can't eat dairy, Almond-licious is wonderul. It has no dairy, and has got a wonderful flavor. It's not cheap but yum. And as a diabetic, who is on a high protein diet, I am allowed to have it occasionally, because of the increased protein content.

When you're living your life within such a strict, defined theology, extending that thought pattern to food (or anything else) seems completely natural. I wonder if having something so central to your self-perception even changes the way you think-- once you become legalistic in your religious views, are you almost assured of "needing" to be legalistic in areas such as diet, budget, entertainment, etc?

Also, didn't Jesus drink wine? Seeing some of our favorite fundies drunk would definitely be worth the price of admission.

I dare somebody to set up a website- "The Jesus Diet: Loaves and fishes for life!"

Could be worse -- could be John the Baptist.

Locusts and wild honey -- yum!

locust_honey.jpg

I was off dairy for a couple years due to a family member's allergy.

Cashew cream

http://talronnen.ca/recipes/cashew-cream/

and coconut milk ice cream

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ime-106860

were fantastic!!

Way better than the rice milk commercial products, and even better than the soy.

Also sorbets were good.

I really mean this; Bless your heart and thank you. I am calling her right now to show her all the sites.

What a bunch of nonsense. Chicken feet aren't my thing, nor are chicken giblets, but I know plenty of people who love them, so that doesn't bother me. But eggshells? :snooty: And the comments about how they're relating to food -- extremely unhealthy attitude. I checked out the diet website the blog links to. A bunch of "toxins" nonsense. Isn't it telling that they can never NAME a single one of these ubiquitous "toxins"?

I really mean this; Bless your heart and thank you. I am calling her right now to show her all the sites.

You can get coconut milk ice cream in stores, and it's really good. Sometimes I buy it instead of dairy. The hemp milk stuff is good too.

Could be worse -- could be John the Baptist.

Locusts and wild honey -- yum!

locust_honey.jpg

I'm really serious! I think they would EAT it up :laughing-rollingyellow: I dont have the time to go through the whole bible and pick out verses mentioning food but I'm guessing that it would follow the jewish kosher laws and not be all that complicated.

Of course, processed food would be a no no since there was no mcdonalds in jesus' time so I really think it would be pretty healthy.

Everything has to be a matter of extremes. This is true of addiction, and I think that spiritual abuse is all about addiction. Rather than take something to numb yourself, you distract yourself and avoid intimacy and overwhelm.

Pia Mellody writes about avoiding the drama of the dysfunctional relationships. You have to subdue and suppress your real personality in order to survive the demands of the group and the lifestyle and the script. When you do that, you really feel dead inside. To remind yourself that you're alive, you create drama and you mistake that for commitment, health, duty, and true intimacy.

So everything about the extreme religion becomes a matter of extremes...

It's a working theory, anyway.

Archived